$40,000 EV Focus!

GaryG

Good call akirby! The tax incentive was meant for the tax payer!

So how much does it cost Ford to produce one? You're assuming they're jacking up the price to get more profit but that may not be true at all, especially for such a low volume vehicle with new technology. I'd bet it's actually losing money due to the R&D costs.

So how much does it cost Ford to produce one? You're assuming they're jacking up the price to get more profit but that may not be true at all, especially for such a low volume vehicle with new technology. I'd bet it's actually losing money due to the R&D costs.

I don't know what the cost is for the electric motor and the battery is, but a fully loaded Titanium Focus can be had for less than $27,000 at a profit. Yesterday, I priced one for a friend and the dealer wants a little over $25,000 with no Bonus Cash incentives.

I bought my new '05 FEH at sticker plus $500 and a dealer near me had gotten them earlier from NY and was asking $5,000 over sticker. I think Ford finally started making a profit on the '09 FEH, so it is not unusual that R&D takes a few years to pay for.

I know a few sad Ford fans that are disappointed because the Focus EV is priced out of the market right now. The volume of sales of the Focus EV will hurt Ford's great reputation at a time not good for this economy. Think for a minute about the Focus EV as an investment. Ford is charging $40,000 plus, first buyer may get a $7,500 tax credit, so what will a used Focus EV be worth in two years? I seen the light of day on my '05 FEH for an investment and didn't take that big of a loss last May when I sold it for $11,200. Even my '09 FEHL looks like a decent investment considering the book value right now. The price of the '12 Focus EV is scary to me. I fill good about the purchase of my '11 Explorer, '12 Focus SEL and I'm in good shape with my '09 FEH with 30,000 miles. A Focus EV purchase to replace my '09 FEH could cause a crash and burn of owning 3 new vehicles for a middle income family. I don't think many middle income families will buy a Focus EV at $40,000 to save money on gas or as a investment in this economy. I'm just not thinking of me here, I want Ford and others to do well. The subject seems to be a lose/lose situation for all right now.

I don't know what the cost is for the electric motor and the battery is, but a fully loaded Titanium Focus can be had for less than $27,000 at a profit. Yesterday, I priced one for a friend and the dealer wants a little over $25,000 with no Bonus Cash incentives.

I bought my new '05 FEH at sticker plus $500 and a dealer near me had gotten them earlier from NY and was asking $5,000 over sticker. I think Ford finally started making a profit on the '09 FEH, so it is not unusual that R&D takes a few years to pay for.

I know a few sad Ford fans that are disappointed because the Focus EV is priced out of the market right now. The volume of sales of the Focus EV will hurt Ford's great reputation at a time not good for this economy. Think for a minute about the Focus EV as an investment. Ford is charging $40,000 plus, first buyer may get a $7,500 tax credit, so what will a used Focus EV be worth in two years? I seen the light of day on my '05 FEH for an investment and didn't take that big of a loss last May when I sold it for $11,200. Even my '09 FEHL looks like a decent investment considering the book value right now. The price of the '12 Focus EV is scary to me. I fill good about the purchase of my '11 Explorer, '12 Focus SEL and I'm in good shape with my '09 FEH with 30,000 miles. A Focus EV purchase to replace my '09 FEH could cause a crash and burn of owning 3 new vehicles for a middle income family. I don't think many middle income families will buy a Focus EV at $40,000 to save money on gas or as a investment in this economy. I'm just not thinking of me here, I want Ford and others to do well. The subject seems to be a lose/lose situation for all right now.

EVs are not hybrids. The batteries are totally different and much more expensive. Why do you think the Volt and Leaf are similarly priced?

Why should Ford subsidize you?

EVs are not hybrids. The batteries are totally different and much more expensive. Why do you think the Volt and Leaf are similarly priced?

Why should Ford subsidize you?

You really don't know what your talking about. The Volt can travel much further because it can charge itself with gas with added systems. The Leaf is $4K cheaper. The FEH battery new last time I checked was $7K plus installation and you have no idea what the battery cost for the Focus EV. Why should Ford subsidize me? I don't recall asking them too.

Have you read what others are saying?

"Ford also sated that markets were chosen “based on several criteria, including commuting patterns, existing hybrid purchase trends, utility company collaboration and local government commitment to electrification.” Really? Is that all? How about affordability?

Of course, there is no immediate mention of price on the Ford website until you click the tab to configure the vehicle. In fact, I did just that. Then it hits you: $39,995; and that’s just the start. I stopped in my tracks.

Now see here again, Ford. You are offering us a car that is 100% electric that is priced beyond its competition and still has that range anxiety thrown in for free.

I’m all for electrification, but what ever gives Ford the idea that $40K-plus is affordable for the masses, regardless of the market area; that is, unless all they want to do is pander and tease the masses with an offering they cannot afford and limit it to those who can afford it; then, to make it more insulting, let the taxpayers cover part of the bill.

I was upset at the Chevy Volt costing $42K. Well, that now looks like a grand deal by comparison, considering I can drive the Volt to see my sister in Traverse City without even stopping.

So the Ford Focus BEV can go 100 miles on a charge? Well, the news release didn’t even reveal that, until read it elsewhere among the many links that it was the same range as the Nissan Leaf.

Well, it ought to go a lot further considering the price. Even the full EV Nissan Leaf goes that far, and for far less money.

Perhaps someone in Ford marketing came from old GM, because that’s the kind of idiotic marketing ruse I used to see out of that place.

What this tells me is that Ford is simply playing electrification; in other words, getting into the game. Put the car out there at a super-high price, then give the public the illusion that EVs MUST cost a lot due to the lithium-ion batteries; then offer the EcoBoost versions which will look like a darned bargain. Nice try, Ford. Speaking for myself, I see right through you on this one."

http://www.torquenews.com/119/2012-ford-focus-electric-40k-implies-poor-marketing-judgment

The fact is, I've been subsidizing Ford for 43 years smart a**.

I think akirby is spot on - EVs are totally different, sure the Focus EV is almost 4 grand more than a Leaf, that could be the faster charging time on the Focus, the driving dynamics, the dashboard user interface etc... since the entire EV market is small could it be that Ford is getting its sales and service force up to speed while still getting bragging rights & who knows some Focus EV sales may end being a C-Max hybrid (why flood the market with unprofitable EVs) ?

I think akirby is spot on - EVs are totally different, sure the Focus EV is almost 4 grand more than a Leaf, that could be the faster charging time on the Focus, the driving dynamics, the dashboard user interface etc... since the entire EV market is small could it be that Ford is getting its sales and service force up to speed while still getting bragging rights & who knows some Focus EV sales may end being a C-Max hybrid (why flood the market with unprofitable EVs) ?

Let us all know how your purchase goes with the Focus EV if you think akirby is spot On? The real world says this is BS! You can't waste that much money, and akirby has no clue like you.

Edited by GaryG

Good grief Gary. This is NEW TECHNOLOGY - and it's expensive. The battery power to go 100 miles and recharge at home in less than 8 hours has only been available for a year or two. This is WAY beyond a simple hybrid battery. Look at how much trouble Tesla and Fiskar have had trying to make this technology work.

You are severely underestimating the cost and degree of difficulty here. It's not like you just take a hybrid, add another battery pack and remove the engine.

That's why fully electric vehicles cost so much right now. They'll get cheaper over time but to suggest that Ford should sell it cheap to make it affordable "for the masses" is ridiculous.

The fact that it only goes 100 miles on a charge is a feature because it does it without ANY gasoline. That makes it MORE desirable than a Volt that can only go 25-40 miles on electric power. If you have a 80 mile round trip commute you can do that in an EV focus without any gas - the Volt will only make it halfway.

You act like it's your God given right to buy one of these for whatever price you think is fair with no regard to what it cost to produce and that is also ridiculous.

• Like 2

You act like it's your God given right to buy one of these for whatever price you think is fair with no regard to what it cost to produce and that is also ridiculous.

That's not true, just your opinion.

Many people feel the same way as I do from their post and articles. Most of them had no plans of buying one at any reasonable price even. I was ready to be first in line like I've been on most of the Ford vehicles I've ordered. It is my God given right to buy or pass if I think it's a bad deal for the vehicle package. In fact, I did it twice this week. The other vehicle was a '12 EcoBoost Explorer Limited I could have gotten without ordering. The '12 Explorer had everything I wanted, until I took it for a test drive. I can hypermile my 3.5L '11 Explorer with the A/C ON, and get a 29.5mpg tank. I quickly seen that can't be done with the EcoBoost with the A/C ON. I also couldn't get the EB Explorer in DFSO either, and that may be the downside of the Turbo. This may be the reason Ford had a long delay in putting the 2.0L EB in the '11 Explorer.

I'm not sad that I didn't get a EV Focus at a reasonable price, I'm happy I made the right decision based on my knowledge of vehicles.

Good call akirby! The tax incentive was meant for the tax payer!

I know a few sad Ford fans that are disappointed because the Focus EV is priced out of the market right now.

Now see here again, Ford. You are offering us a car that is 100% electric that is priced beyond its competition and still has that range anxiety thrown in for free.

I’m all for electrification, but what ever gives Ford the idea that $40K-plus is affordable for the masses, regardless of the market area; that is, unless all they want to do is pander and tease the masses with an offering they cannot afford and limit it to those who can afford it; then, to make it more insulting, let the taxpayers cover part of the bill.

I was upset at the Chevy Volt costing $42K. Well, that now looks like a grand deal by comparison, considering I can drive the Volt to see my sister in Traverse City without even stopping.

What this tells me is that Ford is simply playing electrification; in other words, getting into the game. Put the car out there at a super-high price, then give the public the illusion that EVs MUST cost a lot due to the lithium-ion batteries; then offer the EcoBoost versions which will look like a darned bargain. Nice try, Ford. Speaking for myself, I see right through you on this one."

It is my God given right to buy or pass if I think it's a bad deal for the vehicle package.

Yes, it is. And if you'd just say that it's too expensive for you and leave it at that then nobody would care. But you're implying that Ford is doing something wrong based on your personal assessment of the vehicle and what you think it should cost.

Just say "I'm not willing to pay that much" and let Ford worry about marketing electric vehicles.

Yes, it is. And if you'd just say that it's too expensive for you and leave it at that then nobody would care. But you're implying that Ford is doing something wrong based on your personal assessment of the vehicle and what you think it should cost.

Just say "I'm not willing to pay that much" and let Ford worry about marketing electric vehicles.

I guess you don't want to understand my starter post:

"Good luck Ford, I was prepared to buy one in Manhattan where my Son lives. The $7,500 Tax Incentive was one reason, but if your plan was to take that with a $40,000 price, well forget that idea for me!"

You have a problem on this board, you need to twist things to try to make other posters look bad to look good. Ford needs feedback from buyers in the market. You are not in the market, you have never bought a hybrid and have shown no interest in EV vehicle purchases in your past post. The fact is, you have made up most stuff than gets put in Turkey. You don't like me and that has nothing to do with Ford. All my vehicles have been great Fords, and I want to continue buying and selling Fords. I hooked up a sale just today with a salesman named Ray and a buyer named Dan at Mullinax Ford for a loaded Titanium with the Arctic package, VIN-1FAHP3N20CL265620. Pull it up on the internet, They found it at a Sawgrass Dealer in Ft LA. I'm a mover and shaker for Ford sales, so don't give me your BS. I could have made this an order for a EV Focus this week also.

People expect the Gov't to suddenly pay for conversion of all cars to Electric, or of course 'Corporate America' to take a loss.

Try to find an all electic car that costs $19,999 and goes 400 miles without a recharge, and then only takes 3 minutes to do that. Maybe in the year 'never'?

I guess you don't want to understand my starter post:

"Good luck Ford, I was prepared to buy one in Manhattan where my Son lives. The $7,500 Tax Incentive was one reason, but if your plan was to take that with a $40,000 price, well forget that idea for me!"

You have a problem on this board, you need to twist things to try to make other posters look bad to look good. Ford needs feedback from buyers in the market. You are not in the market, you have never bought a hybrid and have shown no interest in EV vehicle purchases in your past post. The fact is, you have made up most stuff than gets put in Turkey. You don't like me and that has nothing to do with Ford. All my vehicles have been great Fords, and I want to continue buying and selling Fords. I hooked up a sale just today with a salesman named Ray and a buyer named Dan at Mullinax Ford for a loaded Titanium with the Arctic package, VIN-1FAHP3N20CL265620. Pull it up on the internet, They found it at a Sawgrass Dealer in Ft LA. I'm a mover and shaker for Ford sales, so don't give me your BS. I could have made this an order for a EV Focus this week also.

I don't make things up. If you had stopped at your first sentence it would have been fine. I don't think a $40K EV is worth the premium over a regular hybrid or even a traditional 4 cylinder. That wasn't the point of your posts.

I do have a problem in that I take things that are said quite literally, and you made it very clear from your posts that you think Ford is screwing the public and overpricing the EV Focus. Yet others have also pointed out that it's essentially the same price as the Leaf and the Volt which are similar vehicles (when similarly equipped).

My ONLY point was that a $40K price tag is totally in line with the market for this type of vehicle at this time. The only one making you look bad is you when you keep arguing to the contrary.

I don't make things up. If you had stopped at your first sentence it would have been fine. I don't think a $40K EV is worth the premium over a regular hybrid or even a traditional 4 cylinder. That wasn't the point of your posts.

I do have a problem in that I take things that are said quite literally, and you made it very clear from your posts that you think Ford is screwing the public and overpricing the EV Focus. Yet others have also pointed out that it's essentially the same price as the Leaf and the Volt which are similar vehicles (when similarly equipped).

My ONLY point was that a $40K price tag is totally in line with the market for this type of vehicle at this time. The only one making you look bad is you when you keep arguing to the contrary.

What do you mean "I don't make things up" That is your M O. You twist everyone's post around! You added a quote I posted as if it was mine!

"Now see here again, Ford. You are offering us a car that is 100% electric that is priced beyond its competition and still has that range anxiety thrown in for free.

You left out the link of the article on purpose! Quit playing games! You know damn well that was a article that agreed with me that I had nothing to do with.

http://www.torquenews.com/119/2012-ford-focus-electric-40k-implies-poor-marketing-judgment

What do you mean "I don't make things up" That is your M O. You twist everyone's post around! You added a quote I posted as if it was mine!

"Now see here again, Ford. You are offering us a car that is 100% electric that is priced beyond its competition and still has that range anxiety thrown in for free.

You left out the link of the article on purpose! Quit playing games! You know damn well that was a article that agreed with me that I had nothing to do with.

Actually - I did not realize that was a quote at all. It sure sounded like your previous post. So for that I apologize. Next time use the Quote button - that's why they invented it.

Actually - I did not realize that was a quote at all. It sure sounded like your previous post. So for that I apologize. Next time use the Quote button - that's why they invented it.

You've got to be kidding me! You didn't see what I said in post 8 prior to the quotation marks? This - "Have you read what others are saying?" You didn't even go to the link? How can you respond without reading a post?

No wonder you've been making so many false statements about my many threads here, you only read what you want to hear! You only want to apologize for that and tell me how you think I should use the Quote button? It sounds like you don't expect people following post here to go back and read earlier post to see what you are implying about me. Or anyone else you've posted nasty responses too!

You've got to be kidding me! You didn't see what I said in post 8 prior to the quotation marks? This - "Have you read what others are saying?" You didn't even go to the link? How can you respond without reading a post?

No wonder you've been making so many false statements about my many threads here, you only read what you want to hear! You only want to apologize for that and tell me how you think I should use the Quote button? It sounds like you don't expect people following post here to go back and read earlier post to see what you are implying about me. Or anyone else you've posted nasty responses too!

Obviously you agreed with what the link said or you wouldn't have posted it.

If you can't be bothered to use the quote feature then I can't be bothered to waste time deciphering your posts.

Obviously you agreed with what the link said or you wouldn't have posted it.

If you can't be bothered to use the quote feature then I can't be bothered to waste time deciphering your posts.

No, you just need to be truthful and not twist things to be a nasty dude.