2013 Escape order guide

svtenthusiast

I wonder how much the horsepower and torque numbers are going to change on regular fuel? The specs I've seen indicate that the recommended fuel is 87 even with the high compression ratios. I'll probably run 87 all or most of the time unless it changes the MPG so curious how much I'll lose.

There's a fellow in the Edge section stating he's seeing an 8.4 mpg or 30% increase in mpg's by using premium fuel in his 2.0L.

I just went and read those posts. If I can match his 35.7mpg in my Escape even if it takes premium to do it, I will be very happy.

I would have traded up to an SUV years ago with those kinds of numbers. I have to admit that I look ridiculous hauling 12 foot lumber in a Civic but I have been spoiled by 40mpg on the highway and 25-30mpg in daily stop and go traffic (mainly 4 mile commute each way at an average speed around 12mph).

There's a fellow in the Edge section stating he's seeing an 8.4 mpg or 30% increase in mpg's by using premium fuel in his 2.0L.

I wonder how much the horsepower and torque numbers are going to change on regular fuel? The specs I've seen indicate that the recommended fuel is 87 even with the high compression ratios. I'll probably run 87 all or most of the time unless it changes the MPG so curious how much I'll lose.

I would guess on regular you would be down near the original 249 lb ft torque.

I would guess on regular you would be down near the original 249 lb ft torque.

Dropping to 249 lb ft torque doesn't bother me at all. I would be fine with the specs of the 1.6 except I need the higher towing capacity of the 2.0. I'm more concerned about mpg - just want to have the ability to pull a decent size trailer.

FYI, here is the info out of the owners manual on fuel recommendations, page 141.

Octane Recommendations

Regular unleaded gasoline with a pump

(R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is

recommended. Some fuel stations offer

fuels posted as regular with an octane

rating below 87, particularly in high altitude

areas. Fuels with octane levels below 87

are not recommended.

Note:

Premium fuel will provide improved

performance for vehicles with EcoBoost®

engines and is recommended for severe duty

use such as trailer tow.

Edited by svtenthusiast

Just verified on my 2013 Escape order build sheet w/2.0 Ecoboost it does not have the active grille shutter. Under build category "shutters-radiator" it says "less radiator shutters"

Oh well, I know you were hoping for that feature. How about the global open feature, nothing in the 1st printing of the Owner's Manual and that's one I'm hoping for.

Oh well, I know you were hoping for that feature. How about the global open feature, nothing in the 1st printing of the Owner's Manual and that's one I'm hoping for.

All it says for windows is "pwr frt w dows one touch up/dn" and "pwr rear 1 shot up/down window"

I am thinking the global open feature will be unlikely, since it's not in the owner's manual and the 2012 Focus does not have this feature. But it would be nice to have.

Another neat find is under "headlamps-design" it shows "Xenon Headlamps-nas"

Edited by svtenthusiast

With the 2.0L EcoBoost, it's going to be one quick SUV. I was just looking at the specs for the Range Rover Evoque which uses the Ford 2.0L EcoBoost. It puts out 240 hp 251 tq and is 3902lbs. Does 0-60 in 7.1 seconds, gets 28 hwy 18 city w/4wd.

The Escape puts out 240 hp 270 tq and is 3600lbs. Should get over 30hwy and sub 7 second 0-60 time.

Confirmed window sticker EPA figures for the 2.0 EcoBoost:

FWD: 30 HWY, 22 CITY, 25 COMBINED

4WD: 28 HWY, 21 CITY, 24 COMBINED

ADDED

EPA figures for the 2.5 n/a carryover engine in the "S" model FWD only:

FWD: 31 HWY, 22 CITY, 25 COMBINED

Edited by svtenthusiast

I'm very ready for my Escape to be here! Seems like every week something else on the Civic is starting to go on me. I'm hoping that I can pass inspection next month but suspect I'll need to buy at least two tires to pass. Will probably be easier for me to unload the Civic with a recent inspection pass too but my idea of how much I can sell the car for is rapidly dropping especially now that I think the front suspension is going (again). This car is too expensive for me to keep driving it! Hoping for a May arrival for my order!

I know you would have posted if you knew, but I have to ask, any chance of getting the 1.6L for comparision?

We haven't found any stickers for the 1.6 yet. It may be that there aren't any with the 1.6 scheduled yet, as the window sticker shows about 1 week before production

I was hoping there would be a bigger jump over the Edge's numbers. I'd like to see the 1.6L numbers as well.

That's what I was hoping. I am thinking this thing should be good for 32-33MPG on the highway at reasonable speeds if the Edge is rated at 30. Wish they would of used the active grill shudders like the Edge to eek out another MPG or so. There are some owner's beating the Edge EPA too.

Gotta put it in perspective though, the previous model 4 cyl escape got 28 max and this one has 100 more lb ft torque, weighs a little under 400 lbs more, and gets better gas mileage. That's progress.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking for the mpg numbers, I tried to locate an SE or SEL 1.6L by building a car on the Ford site and putting in Detroit and Louisville, KY area zip codes. I found a few Titanium's available, but still no 1.6L SE's or SEL's. Those mpg numbers remain a mystery.

Jr.f, you seem to be the man on the ground there, anything to report regarding the mpg's for the 1.6L, or are only Titanium's coming off the line at this time?

Edited by transitman

I've been checking local dealership web sites and the cars scheduled to arrive, (I went to a dealership this morning that had an SEL listed and they said it's been ordered, but hasn't arrived yet) all the cars have 2.0L engines, even the SEL's. One dealership has an S scheduled for delivery. They must be building all 2.0L dealer orders first. May 10th can't come soon enough for me.

Edited by transitman