2013 Escape order guide

svtenthusiast

In the hope that Ford Engineering may monitor this forum:

In reading the 2013 Escape Owners Manual ( at motor service.com ), there was a Note in two places prohibiting attachment of a bike rack to the lift gate. No such restrictions are posted in the manual for my 2008 Mariner. I have a Thule 911XT rack, which is in the list of racks tha Thule says fits the Mariner. Thule also specifys this same rack as fitting The 2013 Escape.

Just some background, but on the Mariner, with two bikes aboard, I always grab the rack and move the two rack bars up/down and left/right to check for security/looseness prior to driving. I have never noticed sheet metal motion at the six attachment points ( since the six straps to the attachment are canvas, and since the rack bars are cantilevered structures, there IS flexibility built into the rack design ). Point being that, if anything, the doors on the 2013 design appear heavier/stronger than the 2008 Mariner doors, so the reason for the rack limitation isn't obvious.

I sent an email to the dealer requesting confirmation of the Owners Manual instructions.

I'd wonder a bit about the recommendation from Thule as the Escape has only been available for a short time and only recently started showing up at dealers. Have they actually obtained a vehicle to test?

Offhand, I'd say the power liftgate may have something to do with that.

Edited by rscalzo

My sticker has been on line at the dealer ship for the last 3 weeks or better. They ordered this vehicle A Silver Ingot 2013 Titanium Escape for their stock and it has on the sticker a build date of May 18, 2012. It was ordered March 5th in Northeast Pennsylvania and we are still waiting. An SE model that they ordered after it came before it! Hoping it will show up this week-- from order date to now it has been amost 4 months. I am not upset just want it to come in! :) any thoughts on why it is taking so long?

My Escape Titanium arrived yesterday. Sadly, I can't take delivery yet as there is body panel alignment issue that is being worked out right now. I did drive it for the day and inital impressions are good--very quiet other than some tire noise since there is almost zero engine or wind noise. Wish they had Michelins on this thing, not that they would be quieter, but I don't like Continental. No they are not the terrible ContiTrac SUV's on the old Escape, they are ContiPro's or something to that effect.

Engine is smooth and powerful. When the turbo spools up, hold on! Doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder engine, great engine refinement and insulation of vehicle. I set the cruise on the highway to work for 40 miles between 55-70 depending on the highway, and got 31MPG with less than 100 miles on the odometer, FWD 2.0L ecoboost engine. So I should be happy with the gas mileage even though I came from a 2012 Focus with a lifetime average of 37MPG.

While I like the car, the new sloped roof makes it useless for my needs. so when I trade in my two current Escapes, it will have to be another vehicle unfortunately.

Was that gas mileage figure from the on board computer or calculating a fill up? My on board computer is optimistic.

Edited by rscalzo

While I like the car, the new sloped roof makes it useless for my needs. so when I trade in my two current Escapes, it will have to be another vehicle unfortunately.

Was that gas mileage figure from the on board computer or calculating a fill up? My on board computer is optimistic.

I measured the rear cargo area between the old and new and it's within an inch between the wheel wells, and at the actual height of the rear hatch opening it's about 1 inch difference.

The gas mileage was from the computer, but if it's like my Focus (same display) it's either spot on or is a little under the actual mileage. I have started a fuelly account and will post back when I am through a couple of tanks.

Edited by svtenthusiast

I parked my 2008 Mariner Hybrid next to a 2013 SEL and took some measurements which paint a bit different picture:

1. From midpoint of rear opening, drop a vertical to floor. Mariner: 33 1/4". SEL: 31 5/8"

2. Floor width measured at fore/aft midpoint. Mariner: 45.0". SEL: 40 3/4"

3. Diagonal, left front of rear floor to right rear. Mariner: 52.0". SEL: 48 1/2".

Edited by johndixs

at the actual height of the rear hatch opening it's about 1 inch difference.

It looked a lot less than that compared to my 2008 & 2010. But I only got a quick look riding by the dealership a few weeks back. One of these days I'll have to stop in when they get a decent supply on hand. That inch would probably put it out of the running. the crate I use JUST fits in now. A inch less and it's a no go.

Edited by rscalzo

The feature details for my Escape has been posted on the etis.ford web site (four days after the build date). Mine indicates Less Front Towing Hook and I'm wondering about this feature. I was looking at the Ford accessories web site the other day and a towing hook is an available accessory. My question for those who already have their Escapes, is there a location, front or rear, to attach a towing hook in case of emergency? A tow hook is something I may purchase, (along with the cargo area protector) to keep in the spare tire compartment or below floor storage just in case.

Edited by transitman

The feature details for my Escape has been posted on the etis.ford web site (four days after the build date). Mine indicates Less Front Towing Hook and I'm wondering about this feature. I was looking at the Ford accessories web site the other day and a towing hook is an available accessory. My question for those who already have their Escapes, is there a location, front or rear, to attach a towing hook in case of emergency? A tow hook is something I may purchase, (along with the cargo area protector) to keep in the spare tire compartment or below floor storage just in case.

If you look close at the passenger side lower triangle grill, there is a small door. If you open it, there is a spot on the subframe with a place to thread in a tow eyelet. I don't think mine has the eyelet in the spare tire, not sure why they wouldn't include it. Don't think many tow truck drivers would have one. They would just hook from underneath the vehicle and take a chance of tearing something up. Also, the whole front of the undercarrange is covered in aero covers, so it will be hard for them to hook up under there.

Thanks, I thought there were would be hooks and covers, I couldn't see them in the photos I've seen. It seems the actual hook is an accessory, can't remember the price. I would wait until spring to get out of a snowbank before I'd let a tow truck driver hook up under the vehicle.

Here's a link: http://accessories.ford.com/recovery-hook.html

Edited by transitman

Tow hooks are mandatory in Europe where they're known as "ditch extraction" hooks. My Lincoln LS had the same thing for the same reason (it was designed to be sold in Europe but that never materialized. So the door and mount point are standard they just don't include the actual hook here.

If you look close at the passenger side lower triangle grill, there is a small door. If you open it, there is a spot on the subframe with a place to thread in a tow eyelet. I don't think mine has the eyelet in the spare tire, not sure why they wouldn't include it. Don't think many tow truck drivers would have one. They would just hook from underneath the vehicle and take a chance of tearing something up. Also, the whole front of the undercarrange is covered in aero covers, so it will be hard for them to hook up under there.

Most tow truck operators will NOT use that hook, unless you are barely stuck. There are many better and safer ways of getting a car out of a ditch or loaded on a flatbed. The problem when loading with the hook, is that the hooks are always offset to the side of the vehicle and higher than the winch. Works ok when starting to load, but the further you go up the bed the more sideways and downward forces you put on the hook and vehicle. These can (and do) breakoff in the process of loading, a very dangerous condition! I had a good friend of mine hooking up a BMW 740 with the tow hook, got it most of the way up the bed when it snapped. It pulled the threaded insert out of the bumper, the car rolled off the deck right into a new Aston Martin. Imagine if someone was behind it? Even on exotic cars, I WILL NOT use a tow hook. Too many bad things can happen. But that is what 20 years of experience gives you. The knowledge to know what is and what is not safe!

Lamborghini safely loaded without the tow hook:

014-2.jpg

Same car a year later was stuck in park (E-Gear trans), in a garage with tile floor, suspenion would not raise, no way to flatbed safely. So I wheel lifted it, and no damage was done!

013.jpg

Edited by LSchicago

A good operator will know what to hok up to or not. If you call the "$25" guy, you will get what you pay for! The Lambo above has more belly pans and obstructions than almost anything else on the road, but it was done safely!

A good operator will know what to hok up to or not. If you call the "$25" guy, you will get what you pay for! The Lambo above has more belly pans and obstructions than almost anything else on the road, but it was done safely!

Yep, just a matter of finding the "good" tow drivers out there. Not much say in the matter when you call Ford roadside assistance unfortunately.

Can't believe they didn't want you to wait to tow that Lambo when it wasn't raining!

Edited by svtenthusiast

I guess the thing to do would be to get two hooks, so even a $25 tow truck driver couldn't screw it up.

As I typed that tongue in cheek response, I realized that's probably a good idea, $65 for assurance that the underside of the car isn't going to get damaged.

A good operator will never damage your car. The motor club hacks? That's a different story!