The almost-self-driving Lincoln

Lincoln has spoiled me as a driver for the past year: rain sensing wipers, BLIS, Sync, Nav, Camera, Satellite radio, etc. All of these gadgets and electronic nannies are great but when they fail, like my Sync system did on Thanksgiving Day, I feel almost totally lost without those advanced features! Has anyone heard of this? A total failure of everything associated with the Sync touch screen on my 2010 Lincoln MKZ. It's in the shop now waiting on a part, which I believe they call the Sync control module, a very expensive compnoent that Ford had to pre-approve before it could be ordered under--THANK GOD!-- full warranty. So almost a week with no Nav, Bluetooth, audio/Sat radio, back up camera, etc. I have a blank, white screen with nothing on it and no sound at all from the audio system. So I'm all for advances in automotive technology but now I'm concerned and somewhat worried about the quality and reliability of such systems! My vehicle is less than 2 years old with only 22,000 miles. I must admit besides this problem, I am very satisfied with Lincoln quality and design/engineering. In fact, my 2009 Saturn Aura loaner car seems PRIMITIVE compared to my MKZ. It is so noisy, uncomfortable and generally unimpressive and sloppy in every way, even though it is a fully loaded model.

Edited by hbalek

In fact, my 2009 Saturn Aura loaner car seems PRIMITIVE compared to my MKZ. It is so noisy and sloppy even though it is a fully loaded model.

I can't believe you were given an Aura loaner car... the new dealer standards took effect in September, IIRC, which requires a Lincoln loaner.

Sorry to hear about your SYNC issue... this is one I haven't heard of before.

I can't believe you were given an Aura loaner car... the new dealer standards took effect in September, IIRC, which requires a Lincoln loaner.

Sorry to hear about your SYNC issue... this is one I haven't heard of before.

Actually I took it to my nearest Ford dealer because the day after Thanksgiving, Black Friday, I went into my Lincoln dealer, without an appointment and they were understaffed and wanted to look at it on Tuesday, which I didn't want to wait for, so I walked into my Ford dealer and got treated much better. I had the problem diagnosed on Friday and had the part ordered. Then the wrong part came in on Tue. So now it looks like I'll finally have my car fixed tomorrow.

Lincoln has spoiled me as a driver for the past year: rain sensing wipers, BLIS, Sync, Nav, Camera, Satellite radio, etc. All of these gadgets and electronic nannies are great but when they fail, like my Sync system did on Thanksgiving Day, I feel almost totally lost without those advanced features! Has anyone heard of this? A total failure of everything associated with the Sync touch screen on my 2010 Lincoln MKZ. It's in the shop now waiting on a part, which I believe they call the Sync control module, a very expensive compnoent that Ford had to pre-approve before it could be ordered under--THANK GOD!-- full warranty. So almost a week with no Nav, Bluetooth, audio/Sat radio, back up camera, etc. I have a blank, white screen with nothing on it and no sound at all from the audio system. So I'm all for advances in automotive technology but now I'm concerned and somewhat worried about the quality and reliability of such systems! My vehicle is less than 2 years old with only 22,000 miles. I must admit besides this problem, I am very satisfied with Lincoln quality and design/engineering. In fact, my 2009 Saturn Aura loaner car seems PRIMITIVE compared to my MKZ. It is so noisy, uncomfortable and generally unimpressive and sloppy in every way, even though it is a fully loaded model.

I've heard of total failures on MyFord Touch, but not with the last-gen Nav/Sync system. My 2011 MKX had the module replaced early in 2011 under a recall. It will be interesting to see how these cars age and how robust these systems are.

I've had no hardware failures on this (or the last) MKX beyond the troubles with the MyLincoln Touch software. I've loved both of my MKX's, the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned (excluding MLT of course). Both vehicles have the feel of quality that goes beyond dependability. And the '11 MKX is just a blast to drive, this thing hauls and moves like nobody's business...and does so with supreme confidence and composure. The Edge is a fantastic car as well, but there is a huge difference in how each car slugs its weight around, the MKX feels like a BMW by comparison. This is what people don't seem to get about Lincoln, they are not just Fords.

Edited by BORG

Great. More dumbing down of the drivers.

I admit, this would be a cool feature, like many others Ford has produced. But too many drivers out there barely know how to drive as it is, and now we're making them even more lazy.

I have a love/hate relationship with technology.

I admit, this would be a cool feature, like many others Ford has produced. But too many drivers out there barely know how to drive as it is, and now we're making them even more lazy.

The feature has to be activated by the driver (it is a choice not mandatory)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK1AFAuw-bQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_mUyQmxJQY

The feature has to be activated by the driver (it is a choice not mandatory)

Like I stated, great concept, but will be decades before it will (should) be put into use.

Do you really think owners will read the manual on how to use? Look at the Toyota push button start and SUA events, where people didn't know how to turn the vehicle off, or even simply put into neutral in an emergency situation.

Or how about if it experiences faults or software issues? Simply look at the many issues Ford has had alone with MFT.

I like the idea, and when used properly, I think it'd be a great tool. But we have to remember people will be purchasing these vehicles and too many owners believe they are invincible because of AWD or Traction Control and ABS, airbags and all these other safety features, and will push these features to their limit.

Like I stated, great concept, but will be decades before it will (should) be put into use.

Do you really think owners will read the manual on how to use? Look at the Toyota push button start and SUA events, where people didn't know how to turn the vehicle off, or even simply put into neutral in an emergency situation.

Or how about if it experiences faults or software issues? Simply look at the many issues Ford has had alone with MFT.

I like the idea, and when used properly, I think it'd be a great tool. But we have to remember people will be purchasing these vehicles and too many owners believe they are invincible because of AWD or Traction Control and ABS, airbags and all these other safety features, and will push these features to their limit.

This feature has nothing to do with allowing drivers feel more invincible, but forces inattentive drivers to pay attention.

If the driver tries to let the car drive by itself the features detects this and disables itself and cannot be activated again unless the driver

stops the car & opens the door.

I suppose drivers could push the feature to its limit this way but it sure would be a PITA for the driver to keep stopping & starting to keep the game going.

IMO this feature makes a bad driver , better, which in turns makes the roadway a little safer for the good driver.

This feature has nothing to do with allowing drivers feel more invincible, but forces inattentive drivers to pay attention.

If the driver tries to let the car drive by itself the features detects this and disables itself and cannot be activated again unless the driver

stops the car & opens the door.

I suppose drivers could push the feature to its limit this way but it sure would be a PITA for the driver to keep stopping & starting to keep the game going.

IMO this feature makes a bad driver , better, which in turns makes the roadway a little safer for the good driver.

Simply will disagree.

Isn't ABS, Traction Control and AWD to make a driver better, as well as safer? ABS pulsates the brakes, instead of locking them up, making the driver a better braker. Traction Control and AWD help maintain control of the vehicle, to help make the driver better and safer in adverse conditions? And we've seen plenty of people, on a day to day basis (today in Denver with our snow is a good example), pushing these features to the limit thinking their car will do all the work for them?

So while I agree it'll be a cool feature eventually. We first need to better educate the monkeys driving most the vehicles on the road, before dumbing them down with more and more features.

Simply will disagree.

Isn't ABS, Traction Control and AWD to make a driver better, as well as safer? ABS pulsates the brakes, instead of locking them up, making the driver a better braker. Traction Control and AWD help maintain control of the vehicle, to help make the driver better and safer in adverse conditions? And we've seen plenty of people, on a day to day basis (today in Denver with our snow is a good example), pushing these features to the limit thinking their car will do all the work for them?

So while I agree it'll be a cool feature eventually. We first need to better educate the monkeys driving most the vehicles on the road, before dumbing them down with more and more features.

I disagree with your assertion that ABS, Air Bags, or even TC makes drivers feel invincible on any level. Maybe initially when those technologies first emerged on the market in mainstream vehicles this was an issue, but now these technologies have been around long enough that most people recognize the fact these technologies are not necessarily going to prevent a crash or injury. I think that the average person recognizes the fact that these are merely safety aids for when something does go wrong and that they are not in place for them to test the limits. Maybe I give people too much credit? However I do agree that some of the newer technologies do allow for people to become more inattentive while driving. You are always going to have bad drivers, I remember as a child that we would see people in the ditch when it was snowing and that was a time when most cars had none of the above technologies.

I agree.

If you need assistance keeping your vehicle within a lane...the solution is not an electronic nanny. You simply shouldn't be driving. I think these types of systems should be banned as all they do is encourage complacency. And piloting a vehicle is no place for complacency.

Edited by Boss444

I agree.

If you need assistance keeping your vehicle within a lane...the solution is not an electronic nanny. You simply shouldn't be driving. I think these types of systems should be banned as all they do is encourage complacency. And piloting a vehicle is no place for complacency.

Should you be driving? No. But that doesn't stop people from doing it. Now it may keep them from killing someone when they do. I seriously doubt people will look at this feature as a justification to drive drowsy. They would do it anyway.

• Like 1

I've heard of total failures on MyFord Touch, but not with the last-gen Nav/Sync system. My 2011 MKX had the module replaced early in 2011 under a recall. It will be interesting to see how these cars age and how robust these systems are.

I've had no hardware failures on this (or the last) MKX beyond the troubles with the MyLincoln Touch software. I've loved both of my MKX's, the most trouble-free cars I've ever owned (excluding MLT of course). Both vehicles have the feel of quality that goes beyond dependability. And the '11 MKX is just a blast to drive, this thing hauls and moves like nobody's business...and does so with supreme confidence and composure. The Edge is a fantastic car as well, but there is a huge difference in how each car slugs its weight around, the MKX feels like a BMW by comparison. This is what people don't seem to get about Lincoln, they are not just Fords.

They have had my car for 3 days now and still haven't fixed the Sync problem. It may even take 2 more days! Another part had to be ordered. Apparently the module wasn't the only failure, so a new touchscreen had to be ordered!? Apparently most Ford service technicians have to rely on Sync tech support over the telephone to diagnose and repair these complex systems! The service advisor told me that the tech was talking to support all day trying to pinpoint the bad components.

Should you be driving? No. But that doesn't stop people from doing it. Now it may keep them from killing someone when they do. I seriously doubt people will look at this feature as a justification to drive drowsy. They would do it anyway.

Good point. It's a chicken/egg thing. Are these systems encouraging complacency? Or are they solving a problem that would still occur otherwise.

I suppose it's a little of both...

They have had my car for 3 days now and still haven't fixed the Sync problem. It may even take 2 more days! Another part had to be ordered. Apparently the module wasn't the only failure, so a new touchscreen had to be ordered!? Apparently most Ford service technicians have to rely on Sync tech support over the telephone to diagnose and repair these complex systems! The service advisor told me that the tech was talking to support all day trying to pinpoint the bad components.

If this were the Apple Store, they would have given you a new car ;)

Edited by BORG

I look forward to fully-autonomous driving. It would be nice to read a book on the way to work, without having to take the bus (which takes 15 minutes to walk to).

I don't think I'd ever be able to get used to it. I'm nervous enough when another person is driving a vehicle I am in. I don't think automated vehicles will fly with most people who didn't grow up with the technology.