My Ford Touch Fix

tspindle

Any idea when we will receive the USB/thumb drive with the improved My Ford Touch? We are planning a road trip in March. It woud be nice to have an improved system.

Last I heard it was still late January but that probably depends on how many bugs they find during beta testing (going on now with employees).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The lack of information about timing is so so frustrating.

If they published a hard date then there would be pressure to meet that date even if the product isn't fully ready. By not publishing a firm date they have time to make fixes found during beta testing without that pressure. Anyone who's ever done a software project can relate to that dilemma.

I think they're trying to avoid the same mistakes they made the first time and they want to make sure it's ready to go before releasing it and that requires a less than firm date. If they don't find many problems in Beta testing they can release it early. If they do they can take the time to fix it first.

A guy stop me in the Lowe's parking here and told me he's suing Ford over this problem. He was so mad because he has had his Explorer at the dealers so many times for updates and now is being told the software is back to Microsoft for redesign. He also said Ford was unable to fix the problems. Anyone confirm this?

A guy stop me in the Lowe's parking here and told me he's suing Ford over this problem. He was so mad because he has had his Explorer at the dealers so many times for updates and now is being told the software is back to Microsoft for redesign. He also said Ford was unable to fix the problems. Anyone confirm this?

Confirm what? It's not Microsoft doing the programming, for one thing. It never was. Secondly, he can file a lawsuit all he wants. Doesn't mean it will get him anywhere. I'm not really sure how many times it could have been to the dealer for "updates". Haven't there only been a couple since the Explorer was launched?

Cars have problems. That's life. The most he'll be able to get out of it if Ford can't "fix" it for him is to pursue a Lemon Law claim on it.

Confirm what? It's not Microsoft doing the programming, for one thing. It never was. Secondly, he can file a lawsuit all he wants. Doesn't mean it will get him anywhere. I'm not really sure how many times it could have been to the dealer for "updates". Haven't there only been a couple since the Explorer was launched?

Cars have problems. That's life. The most he'll be able to get out of it if Ford can't "fix" it for him is to pursue a Lemon Law claim on it.

Actually Microsoft was called in to help with the rewrite after BSquare totally botched the development. Whether they're actually doing any code is anybody's guess. Also - there have been 6 or 7 updates since October 2010.

I agree that the lemon law should apply to those having repeated problems and that a class action lawsuit is ridiculous.

Actually Microsoft was called in to help with the rewrite after BSquare totally botched the development. Whether they're actually doing any code is anybody's guess. Also - there have been 6 or 7 updates since October 2010.

Hmmm. I thought they sourced it out to another third party for the rewrite? Hmm, has the Explorer been out that long already? I thought it launched after I had bought my Edge and I've only performed 2 updates on that. :shrug:

Hmmm. I thought they sourced it out to another third party for the rewrite? Hmm, has the Explorer been out that long already? I thought it launched after I had bought my Edge and I've only performed 2 updates on that. :shrug:

Bsquare did the original development and botched it big time. Microsoft was brought in to help with the rewrite but according to some reports Bsquare was still involved with Microsoft assisting and supervising.

Not sure when the Explorer launched with MFT but there have been 6 or 7 different updates along the way since MFT launched on the Edge up through the current 2.11 version.

It seems that some people have no problems, most have a few minor problems and a small number of people have tons of problems. I suspect bad or flaky hardware on the ones with real problems and I think Ford should do more investigation on those and potentially swap out hardware or just buy them back.

I don't think it's fair to those having continual problems to keep waiting if the fix isn't imminent. For those who have to pull a fuse or battery cable once every couple of weeks then it's just a nuisance.

There are rumors that the rewrite will be delayed but I haven't heard anything to corroborate that from insiders. I do believe they'll delay it if it's not 100% rather than release it and continue to have problems. But for Ford's sake I hope it's not that bad.

Maybe it's time to switch to Linux.......

During the PowerStroke 6.0L debacle I heard Ford was buying back 100+ trucks/month ! The dealers loved it, because they could throw parts at it until the problem was fixed and it was 100% warranty. Once the truck was running good, they added on an extended warranty so the second customer got the same warranty coverage as the first !

I recently had my Explorer MFT updated to the newest version and if that's any indication of improvements from the first version, Ford's in big trouble. It seems they fixed 10 issues and 6 more new ones were added. I'm starting to think the system will never be 100% and the older the updates, new problems develop that have never happened, start happening. People can learn from their mistakes, but you can't change the complete team during the season. I sure hope the original MFT designers are still working with any added new players.

• Like 2

During the PowerStroke 6.0L debacle I heard Ford was buying back 100+ trucks/month ! The dealers loved it, because they could throw parts at it until the problem was fixed and it was 100% warranty. Once the truck was running good, they added on an extended warranty so the second customer got the same warranty coverage as the first !

Guess again. The 6.0 drove EVERYONES warrranty numbers up, which got everyone in warranty trouble. And reaquired vehicles dont end up at the dealership that they were reaquired at.

Guess again. The 6.0 drove EVERYONES warrranty numbers up, which got everyone in warranty trouble. And reaquired vehicles dont end up at the dealership that they were reaquired at.

The dealership that accepted the return for Ford had first opportunity to buy that unit from the company. If the dealership had capable diesel mechanics, it was a good deal for them and the company. If the dealer did buy the vehicle it had to be transported to a central location where it was auction off.

After you get past the fact that Ford really has no clue how to do Quality Control/Acceptance Testing on "customer facing" software, there is another HUGE hole that I don't think has been filled.

There is still little (none ?) post-sales support ! The sales persons isn't going to answer your question about MFT a month after the sales. The service department only gets paid if they R&R, so they aren't going help you. There is no dedicated 800 number or customer web site. Ford management wants to think of this device as just an add-on automotive option when in fact it is a personal electronic devices that happens to be bolted to a vehicle.

Software is software and will never be perfect (although Apple comes close) and until Ford Management is wiling to set up the appropriate post sales support, the negative customer feedback will continue, even if all of the bugs are worked out.

(FYI - Customer Service Division knows this ! The dealer have been SCREAMING at them for a couple of years now !)

I recently had my Explorer MFT updated to the newest version and if that's any indication of improvements from the first version, Ford's in big trouble.

Small difference between a patch and a re-write...

And no matter what happens, I don't see "big trouble" coming from this at all. The number of customers having major problems is really not very large. Minor glitches? Sure. But ask BMW if iDrive's multitude of bugs and crashes has sunk them.

Small difference between a patch and a re-write...

And no matter what happens, I don't see "big trouble" coming from this at all. The number of customers having major problems is really not very large. Minor glitches? Sure. But ask BMW if iDrive's multitude of bugs and crashes has sunk them.

Look Nick, I want Ford to correct the mess I see in MFT. I don't care about BMW either. Get the problems solved! I will be happy then!

I am underwhelmed.

Lot's of videos and a place to rant.

No human contact.

Most of MFT is the same as sync so the normal syncmyride.com stuff would apply. This was just an add-on site for the MFT specific features. And there is human contact there and I think on Facebook.

It's not super fantastic but I think it's more than the other mfrs are doing right now.