Dodge Dart LCD IP

Im kinda disappointed in this IP. When they said customizable, I thought you would be able to choose the font, color, layout, etc. From the demo at least, it looks like you can only change what items are displayed or go through different menus.

Being able to switch the speedo to several different styles would be cool too. Like you could have the mustang gauges with the retro font on it, and then switch it something more stylish, or instead of the analog style, maybe go old school and be able to pick and electronic speedo like on the probe, or even more old school like the 70's speedometers that went horizontal. Its a useless function, but still seems like it could be a lot of fun.

post-47209-0-60536300-1326243986_thumb.jpg

post-47209-0-86167700-1326244002_thumb.jpg

What happen to the competition forum?

Anyway, I wanted to show this off, Chrysler deserves some significant praise here.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/10/watch-a-demo-of-dodge-darts-all-digital-gauge-display/#continued

Hey...I saw something similar in a new Lincoln concept...

Flower pedals grow to show how good your fuel economy is.

Just that idea alone gets a :rolleyes: with a side of :finger: and a dash of :banghead:

Edited by Boss444
  • Like 1

Hey...I saw something similar in a new Lincoln concept...

Just that idea alone gets a :rolleyes: with a side of :finger: and a dash of :banghead:

My point here is that Chrysler is offering cabin tech that upstages most luxury cars, let alone the Focus it's competing with. And don't forget CUE in Caddy, Ford's MFT system has quickly been answered and they are still trying to work the bugs out on a system that's now obsolete. I'm fairly disappointed that Fusion did not debut a new MFT. I was hoping MKZ would do something new, maybe the production car will have a unique IP.

Edited by BORG

Running the speedo via software. Yeah. That sounds like a *great* idea.

I think there's a reason why Ford has an analog speedo on its MFT equipped systems.

I like the Ford UI and the dual displays and d-pads, nice division of information. But I'd like to see larger displays on both the center stack and in the IP. In Lincoln's case, I think it's valuable to have distinguishing feature like a full LCD IP.

I think there's a reason why Ford has an analog speedo on its MFT equipped systems.

The Speedo's in most modern cars for the last 10 years have been run by software and are digital. Just because it looks analog doesn't mean it actually is.

Even analog speedometers are run through software (speedo cables going to the gauge are long gone). The speed sensors goes through a bus, to a computer (running software which also reads it for the ABS system and most likely for hundreds of other functions) and then to the mechanicals.

Both systems work the same, it's the display function that is different. One is via a screen, the other through a mechanical device.

I mean it's not like problems can't happen. This poor guy lost his analog speedo after an ABS malfunction.

Edited by Intrepidatious

There's a big difference between a mechanical speedometer that receives input from either the PCM or a processed signal direct from the transmission and this thing.

This is a graphic representation of a speedometer, which runs as an application on the presentation layer which is itself running on top of the OS kernel.

You are dealing with a far more complex and far more fragile system. In fact, by installing the speedometer in the app layer of this OS, you run the risk of making it insecure as well as fragile.

Both systems work the same

No they do not. See above.

A speedo app. running on the presentation layer, on top of the kernel is far different from a low-level PCM operated mechanical device.

--

Or, put this way:

Would you consider running ABS as an application on this OS to be 'the same' as running it directly off the PCM?

No they do not. See above.

A speedo app. running on the presentation layer, on top of the kernel is far different from a low-level PCM operated mechanical device.

--

Or, put this way:

Would you consider running ABS as an application on this OS to be 'the same' as running it directly off the PCM?

I don't know how either run. But, I'll give you this one since you obviously have a much better understanding of the intricacies then I do when it comes to application development.

But, just wait until we bring up paradiddles or Swiss Army triplets. You're toast! Haha! (However, PREMiERdrum is not allowed in this conversation unless he's on my side)

My point here is that Chrysler is offering cabin tech that upstages most luxury cars, let alone the Focus it's competing with. And don't forget CUE in Caddy, Ford's MFT system has quickly been answered and they are still trying to work the bugs out on a system that's now obsolete. I'm fairly disappointed that Fusion did not debut a new MFT. I was hoping MKZ would do something new, maybe the production car will have a unique IP.

The MKZ concept does have a unique IP cluster, complete with a 10.1 " LCD thin film panel! I welcome this new Lincoln-only feature and expect it to be on the production MKZ as well. I never liked My Lincoln Touch being the same as the MFT.

But, just wait until we bring up paradiddles or Swiss Army triplets. You're toast! Haha! (However, PREMiERdrum is not allowed in this conversation unless he's on my side)

Oh?

Oh??

Didja hear the one about the bar band that was late getting to the concert? They locked their keys in the van and it took an hour to get the drummer out.

(been playing guitar since I was 5!)

• Like 1

The MKZ concept does have a unique IP cluster, complete with a 10.1 " LCD thin film panel! I welcome this new Lincoln-only feature and expect it to be on the production MKZ as well. I never liked My Lincoln Touch being the same as the MFT.

I wish they'd take this opportunity to rebrand MyLincoln Touch to something that isn't an obvious Ford product.

I'm on nobody's side here, but I have been working in a whole lot of inside five's into songs they have no place in. I blame Joe Morello.

This is a graphic representation of a speedometer, which runs as an application on the presentation layer which is itself running on top of the OS kernel.

You are dealing with a far more complex and far more fragile system. In fact, by installing the speedometer in the app layer of this OS, you run the risk of making it insecure as well as fragile.

Do you know if Visteon's QNX based reconfigurable instrument cluster platform, as applied to the Range Rover since MY 2010, has held up well in the real world? The company just exhibited the latest iteration of that platform at this year's CES event. Seems to me that this approach would be more reliable than traditional, stepper motor controlled gauges.

Edited by aneekr

Oh?

Oh??

Didja hear the one about the bar band that was late getting to the concert? They locked their keys in the van and it took an hour to get the drummer out.

(been playing guitar since I was 5!)

Haha..Oh, I've heard 'em all.

What do you call a guitarist without a girlfriend?

Homeless.

It's on a Land Rover. How well do you think it's held up? :rolleyes:

2010 and 2011 MY Range Rover have high J.D. Power Circle ratings for attributes that directly mention "instrument panel". But the Circle ratings can sometimes be vague. Are you aware of information that point to the Visteon reconfigurable TFT instrument cluster being problematic?

Didn't really see anything innovative. It's like they're just catching up to similar technologies without having years worth of user data to make improvements.

With a Silicon Valley R&D headquarters, F is still in a good position to lead.

Chrysler's UConnect system has been around for a number of years and has been continuously improved to this point. It already does most of the stuff that you see in the Dart (with the exception of the instrument cluster...though the Pacifica did have something similar for the navigation). It's not like this is the first car they've put a system into.