93 year old woman and her 1964 Mercury Comet with 576,000 miles

I wonder what motor is in it, so I can take note... Fuel mileage is a good guess also.

But a lot of people sure took for granted all these old cars from the 1960's, 1970's, 1980's and a lot of them are gone. That's what lack of maintenance will do. Just wonder how many new cars of this age will see the 50 year mark. My guess... Not as many. They are disposable garbage.

I bet she knows how to take care of a car better than at least half the people on the road now.

Also, that 576k is a nice round number. Equals exactly 12k miles per year, which is considered normal use. She's definitely not a little old lady who only drove to church and bingo...

It's amazing of how one particular car can hold a lot of maintenance history behind it and still by the way it generally looks in that picture, it's not a rusted out bucket of bolts and nuts. I've had a few vehicles I've bought over the years and you can pull out the owner's manual and have everything written down that was done to it, most of the receipts kept, the original VIN# i.d. card kept, etc... Those little things actually add to the value of that particular vehicle. So that's why the $12,000 appraisal is warranted not just because it has that many miles but because the car looks so good, and was meticulously maintained plus you have the original owner.

It's too bad the people of today's disposable consumer society couldn't learn from this story of what to really do with a real car.

Edited by Bored of Pisteon

I agree. Wonder what's been replaced on the car.

From today's "Autoline Daily":

"Nicknamed “Chariot,” the sedan has gone through 18 batteries, eight mufflers . . . and three husbands. After nearly five decades of continuous use, trekking to Texas, California, Michigan and beyond, the Merc still purrs like a kitten. Now that’s a testament to Detroit Iron if I ever saw one! Memo to Alan Mulally – relaunch the Caliente nameplate."

In an earlier story about her pointing things out on the engine I saw it was a V8. The only V8 I could find for 64 Comets was the 260 Windsor. It also said the car had a valve job and her mechanic told her to stop using Pennzoil.

The 289 was also an option on the 1964 Comet.

I met this lady at the all Ford nationals in Carlisle PA a couple of years back. She is still sharp as a tack...and that car was maintained "...like they said to in the book..."

I was there for that show. I got a picture of her with the Comet. She was really nice. Too bad she didn't opt for the convertible or the Cyclone.

I talked to her as well...as Mark Morrow and 351cid noted, she is still quite sharp. Ford ought to buy that car and preserve it.

Interestingly, at either the Spring Carlisle show, or the All-Ford Nationals, there was a very clean 1964 Comet sedan for sale. It was in pretty good shape, and the price was reasonable, too. One of the many that I've had to pass up over the years for lack of funds, no storage, etc.

I talked to her as well...as Mark Morrow and 351cid noted, she is still quite sharp. Ford ought to buy that car and preserve it.

Interestingly, at either the Spring Carlisle show, or the All-Ford Nationals, there was a very clean 1964 Comet sedan for sale. It was in pretty good shape, and the price was reasonable, too. One of the many that I've had to pass up over the years for lack of funds, no storage, etc.

Hi Grbeck, I've had the same experience at carlisle. I found a few real bargains over the years but never had the space when I had the money or the money when I had the space. There was a really clean Gulfstream Aqua Mercury Marauder X-100 with buckets/console and all the power options for $5,500 a few years back. Unfortunately, I had neither the cash or the space that year.

I remember the 289-4V in 64 was low compression (regular fuel with 210 hp). In 65 it was premium fuel and 225 hp.

Correct. The D code 289 4bbl was the top Mustang engine until the HiPo was added in June '64. All 2bbl V-8 Mustangs were 260s until September '64, the official start of the '65 model year. The 289 was available in Fairlanes in '63 (including the HiPo) and Comets in '64. Interestingly, the K Code 289 in a Comet was not the 271 hp HiPo as it was in Fords but the 210 hp regular fuel version listed as D code in Fords. The few HiPo Comets were supposed to carry the D Code in the serial number according to the Comet catalog. None are known to exist with the D Code but the 271 hp cars were instead built by special order without a serial number designation.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow