Opinions on Ford Quick Lube?

Fixed it for ya.

However, our small, non QuickLube equipped dealership has an experienced, very dedicated lube tech. So much so that techs ask him for correct quantities or types of lube as he is faster and as accurate as the shop manual.

To the OP, there are lots of reasons that MISTAKES can be made and I am not 'defending' your service. Per the owner's manual and the WSM, did you allow for the correct 'drainback' period for the oil to return to the pan? It can look lower than it is, if not allowed to return to the sump. If so, it could have the correct 5.3 and you were billed 5 instead of 6. Most billing software does not allow for tenths of a quart of oil so it is rounded down or up. Most customers get pissed if they are billed 6 when they got 5.3. I have even worked with software that in order to make the 'oil change special price' come out right, you had to bill 5 quarts even if you used 6 or 7 to fill it, as the 'special' was not properly set up. Customers REALLY get mad thinking that they have 5 instead of 7! Even with the correct amount after drainback, on almost all current Ford engines, the oil will be halfway up the crosshatch portion of the stick, not the 'MAX' line. 'MAX' is actually overfilled. Slightly low is actually better for an engine than overfull. Overfull does not allow the crankshaft to shed oil properly as all 'windage' devices are usually covered in oil at that point. Overfill enough and you will whip the oil with the crank, which aerates it and can lead to bearing damage from the foamed oil. Slightly low is not harmful unless it becomes very low, contaminated, or excessive G loading sloshes oil to the point of uncovering the pickup. On all the engines I can think of this occurs nowhere near the level of oil that you have showing.

Thanks for the info. As far as the oil level on the dipstick, it was actually below the first hole. It didn't even hit the cross-hatching. I'm a computer programmer by day - I don't know everything about cars - but I know a lot more than the average Joe.

UPDATE: I called the service advisor this morning and told him about the situation. He made the mistake of answering the phone with his name .... The reason I say that was a mistake is because I told him all about the situation and he said, "I am sorry this happened to you. If I had been working yesterday this would not have happened."

I rolled my eyes because the guy who answered the phone WAS the service advisor yesterday. Oops. It said on my invoice who the advisor was. When I called him out on lying about this, he started back pedaling and offered me a free oil change next time. Didn't really feel like making the situation any worse so I just left it at that.

I am disappointed the guy never emailed me about the free oil change though. I told him I wanted him to email me so I had it in writing.

Edited by SVT_MAN

Wow, tough crowd on here. I've had good and bad service with Quick Lane. Bascially I think it's luck with how busy they are or not on day you take it in. On one occassion I gave up on oil change after almost two hour wait, and other day got in and out in less than 2 hours on coolant flush. Every day is different. Luck of the draw. As for oil level, as long as oil is in safe zone as it seemed to show on dipstick, I don't think it's a big deal. I don't know about the Fusion, but on some vehicles like my Boxster it's best to be down a little from top. Not really a big deal either way. Always best anyhow to always have an extra quart at home to top off if needed along with other fulids in garage. Btw, anyone who needs new tires..........Quick Lane has $100 rebates on a slew of branded tires after they beat your best price. Runs through May 31, 2012.

I was under the impression that the safe zone was between the two holes (in the cross hatching region). Am I mistaken? The oil level was below the first hole.

I was under the impression that the safe zone was between the two holes (in the cross hatching region). Am I mistaken? The oil level was below the first hole.

I don't have my glasses on, but the oil seems to be covering the lower hole - to me that would be "technically" within range, though I'd try to get it in the middle...

As far as the number of quarts added, I'd wager that not quite 5 quarts drain.

Another note...oil level should be checked when cold. After the car sits for a few hours, the oil will drain back into the pan, most likely bring the oil level up to an acceptable level, so, technically, you probably weren't low if you checked it immediately when you got home.

Another note...oil level should be checked when cold. After the car sits for a few hours, the oil will drain back into the pan, most likely bring the oil level up to an acceptable level, so, technically, you probably weren't low if you checked it immediately when you got home.

I posted this late at night so I'm sorry misspoke / mis-typed (not sure what the correct term is for that?).

My dad checked the oil originally after he drove the vehicle to his house. There's a possibility it was warm when he checked it, but it sat for a good 6 hours before I checked it - so there's absolutely no way it was warm when I checked it.

That was my mistake for saying it the way I did.

Jumping in late - couple quick thoughts.

1. The dealership can't bill out oil in increments other than quarts. They are likely on a bulk oil system.

2. Are you sure the repair was completed by the Quick Lane vs the main shop? Quick Lanes recieve co-op money for repairs from Ford, but they are based on the code for the Multi Point Inspection. To recieve the co-op money, the RO needs to be coded Q99P. Your RO is coded 99P - this is normally used for the non Quick Lane operations - the main service drive.

3. The Quick Lane does have additional training requirements for both advisors and technicians - they are not over the top or even difficult - but more than is required at a non Quick Lane shop.

Jumping in late - couple quick thoughts.

1. The dealership can't bill out oil in increments other than quarts. They are likely on a bulk oil system.

2. Are you sure the repair was completed by the Quick Lane vs the main shop? Quick Lanes recieve co-op money for repairs from Ford, but they are based on the code for the Multi Point Inspection. To recieve the co-op money, the RO needs to be coded Q99P. Your RO is coded 99P - this is normally used for the non Quick Lane operations - the main service drive.

3. The Quick Lane does have additional training requirements for both advisors and technicians - they are not over the top or even difficult - but more than is required at a non Quick Lane shop.

1. Good to know.

2. Perhaps you are right. i don't know anything about the codes or anything like that, but this place is branded Valvoline. It is directly connected to the dealership though. It did strike me a bit odd that they have a Valvoline branded oil place though ... I mean doesn't Ford use MotorCraft?

3. Good to know as well.

1. Good to know.

2. Perhaps you are right. i don't know anything about the codes or anything like that, but this place is branded Valvoline. It is directly connected to the dealership though. It did strike me a bit odd that they have a Valvoline branded oil place though ... I mean doesn't Ford use MotorCraft?

3. Good to know as well.

The Valvoline signifies it is not likely a Quick Lane - Motorcraft oil is a requirement.

Ford dealers are not required to sell Ford parts or Ford ESP service contracts - but those who do are often more successful.

Use my local dealers QL service for all my needs. Never once dissatisfied.

Like sales experience, I blame these issues on the dealer and service dept, not on the QL name.

OP: based on your responses though, I think you are going a little over the top. It's a minor item that can be handled easily.

Heck, even if you worried about voiding your warranty and don't think there's enough oil, what's so wrong with you filling the remaining .3 quarts of oil? Do you think the dealer will even noticed you topped it off? You already called the service adviser, next step is to take it to his boss or to another dealer. Personally, I don't think this is that big of an issue. If it happened 2-3-4 times in row or every time you took it in, or it was missing 2quarts, then maybe you have an issue.

Otherwise, grab a 6 pack and a quart of Motorcraft and fix it yourself and be done with it. No reason getting so worked up over it.

No, actually you didn't. Anything that requires actual expertise doesn't go to the Quick Lane (or shouldn't). Dealerships do a LOT of non-warranty work.

QL is all Customer Pay. They do NO warranty because they cannot be paid for warranty; they are not certified (per W&P). Most QL dealerhips therefore leave the majority of the remainder (non 'gravy') to the main shop. Most of the 'leftovers' are warranty. At big dealerships QL takes the undercar, tuneups, brakes etc out of the hands of flat raters. This is just one of the reasons technician retention is taking a nose dive across the country.