F-150 becoming a more popular choice (Not sold in UK), than Rangers in London

Just had a chat with my mum neighbours gardener who uses a single cab F-150 with a useful long bed that is a very rare in the UK, asked him how he got on with a LHD F-150 on RHD UK roads, to my surprise he said it was no problem at all and really loved it. Only downside he said it was returning 7 MPG (Hope he was only joking), but he said it did not bother him all that much as most of his customer base lived in a 4 mile radius of his home.

His biggest problem had been his newer 5 year old Diesel Ranger he had just sold a year ago, he explained he lived on the borderline of London's "Low Emission Zone", and would have to pay £200 a day just to go cut somebody's lawn which he does on a almost daily basis (As the Diesel Ranger did meet Low Emmision Zone NOx required limits). Over a year this would add up to £55,000 a year, over the next 10 years it would hit a staggering £550,000 ($848,372) which he could not absorb or pass on to his local customer base. He loved Ford pick-ups so, he a low NOx gasoline F-150 which means he pays nothing to enter huge London's Low Emission Zone that covers a lot of outer London as well, not just 8 million Londoners.

Why are Ford now not offering a F-150 for the UK market rather than just a Ranger, maybe as a smaller F-100, or a Ranger with a gasoline option (Diesel Rangers are the only option, from Ford UK) as the goalposts will always a moving NOx target, the main reason this guy will never buy a diesel pick-up truck, he just can't live with the changing uncertainty on regulations. Out London M25 motorway is almost the borders the London Emission Zone which is where 1:6 Brits live.

Just had a chat with my mum neighbours gardener who uses a single cab F-150 with a useful long bed that is a very rare in the UK, asked him how he got on with a LHD F-150 on RHD UK roads, to my surprise he said it was no problem at all and really loved it. Only downside he said it was returning 7 MPG (Hope he was only joking), but he said it did not bother him all that much as most of his customer base lived in a 4 mile radius of his home.

His biggest problem had been his newer 5 year old Diesel Ranger he had just sold a year ago, he explained he lived on the borderline of London's "Low Emission Zone", and would have to pay £200 a day just to go cut somebody's lawn which he does on a almost daily basis (As the Diesel Ranger did meet Low Emmision Zone NOx required limits). Over a year this would add up to £55,000 a year, over the next 10 years it would hit a staggering £550,000 ($848,372) which he could not absorb or pass on to his local customer base. He loved Ford pick-ups so, he a low NOx gasoline F-150 which means he pays nothing to enter huge London's Low Emission Zone that covers a lot of outer London as well, not just 8 million Londoners.

Why are Ford now not offering a F-150 for the UK market rather than just a Ranger, maybe as a smaller F-100, or a Ranger with a gasoline option (Diesel Rangers are the only option, from Ford UK) as the goalposts will always a moving NOx target, the main reason this guy will never buy a diesel pick-up truck, he just can't live with the changing uncertainty on regulations. Out London M25 motorway is almost the borders the London Emission Zone which is where 1:6 Brits live.

Current Ranger uses same engines as Transit, so what does that say about Ford using efficient diesels that are now being

taxed off London's road due to NOX emissions.... this is a very sad state of affairs. Maybe a 2.o Ecoboost or LPG version is needed.

And yes, the fuel economy of a fully loaded V8 F150 can be that bad...

Edited by jpd80

Hm the picture of an F350 in the streets of London, is one of those sweet ironic situations I would love to see, like American Beauty queens in swimsuits parading in downtown of some Middle East country, a big "HA HA, look at me"... (well before they arrest and kill you, but work with me here, its a vision)...

Hm the picture of an F350 in the streets of London, is one of those sweet ironic situations I would love to see, like American Beauty queens in swimsuits parading in downtown of some Middle East country, a big "HA HA, look at me"... (well before they arrest and kill you, but work with me here, its a vision)...

Sure, at $2.00 a titer, be my guest.......and by the way, that's $7.60 a US gallon

And yes, the fuel economy of a fully loaded V8 F150 can be that bad...

If his business really is all within a four-mile radius, that mileage isn't all that bad. He's probably not getting many highway miles and doing lots of idling, so it could be worse...

Toyota or Nissan don't sell a gas pickup in the UK? If not, it would seem like an obvious market for someone to add one.

Also, don't US diesels have the same NOx targets as gas engines? Maybe he should consider a 800ft/lb Powerstroke to haul his mower.

Truly a strange post !

The short answer is, Ford Product Planners have deemed the F150 too large and too expensive for non-US markets. As for a diesel engine option in the F150, Ford has a 4.4L engine waiting in the wings, but US emission regulation have killed the fuel efficiency of diesel engines in the US. Plus, diesel fuel in the US cost $0.50-$1.00 more than petrol !

As for a petrol Ranger, I don't know. I know they will be build them (2.5L) for Venezuela, but they will be dual fuel; petrol and CNG. Still no plans for Ranger in the US. GM (a.k.a. Opel/Holden) is discontinuing its midsize pickup (Colorado/Canyon) which tells Ford they are on the right path.

Is there still a large cost price difference in the UK between diesel and petrol ?

Something doesn't sound right, the tax is based on both Carbon output and NOX output..

I can't see how a high CO2 truck like F150 would be any better on congestion tax than a high NOX diesel.

Edited by jpd80