Eight Cheap Cars the Richest Americans Drive

mettech

24/7 Wall St. asked auto trends research firm Truecar to find the best-selling cars and light trucks that America’s rich drive. Truecar analyzed industry sales data from the 10 wealthiest U.S. ZIP codes by median income, according to the Internal Revenue Service, including neighborhoods in New York City, Greenwich, Conn., and the gated community of Fishers Island, Fla. Based on the 20 top-selling cars from Truecar’s report, 24/7 Wall St. identified the eight cheap cars the richest Americans drive.

The tastes of the wealthy do not vary much from the average car owner. Five of the cars rich Americans buy are made by either Honda Motor Co. (NYSE: HMC) or Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE: TM). These two brands have consistently done well among American buyers and have taken market share from U.S. manufacturers for years. They continue to offer high quality, relatively low prices and efficient engines that get good gas mileage. Toyota and Honda cars are at the top of quality surveys. Two of the cars on our list are the Honda Accord and Toyota Camry. The remaining three on the list are from German automakers.

Not a single American car made the list. Even a look beyond the top eight sellers to the top 20 shows that German and Japanese models dominate. The only two American models on the wider list are the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Jeep Wrangler. As further evidence of the frugality of the wealthy car owner, the Grand Cherokee has an average price of $26,158. The Wrangler’s is just $22,510.

Read more: http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2012/08/03/eight-cheap-cars-richest-americans-drive/?intcmp=obnetwork#ixzz2461Aa4yQ

As further evidence of the frugality of the wealthy car owner, the Grand Cherokee has an average price of $26,158.

I'm not sure what Jeep Grand Cherokee they are looking at, but that sounds more like the base model price and not the average price. I'm also willing to bet these wealthy car owners are buying a lot more $40k+ Overland or $60k+ SRT8 models than the average consumer.

I'm not sure what Jeep Grand Cherokee they are looking at, but that sounds more like the base model price and not the average price. I'm also willing to bet these wealthy car owners are buying a lot more $40k+ Overland or $60k+ SRT8 models than the average consumer.

That is the base price after transportation. They are pulling numbers out of their asses.

Eh, I'm still trying to talk them into something nicer. They can afford it now and should enjoy it!

Are any of the ten vehicles highlighted in the 24/7 Wall St. article among those you've recommended to your folks? Or maybe a 2013 Toyota Avalon?

Anyway, as akirby indicated, kudos to your folks for keeping and maintaining their automobiles over the long haul. They're well off in no small part to that kind of lifestyle.

Are any of the ten vehicles highlighted in the 24/7 Wall St. article among those you've recommended to your folks? Or maybe a 2013 Toyota Avalon?

Anyway, as akirby indicated, kudos to your folks for keeping and maintaining their automobiles over the long haul. They're well off in no small part to that kind of lifestyle.

Don't think i would recommend any of those. I showed my mom the 2013 MKZ and she dug that, but not so much the 2013 Avalon -- especially not the interior. My dad has been considering a BMW 5-series. I don't think any purchase is going to be soon though. :lol:

The Prius seems to be a very popular vehicle among the rich, environmental set in CA, and I would imagine the Volt does well with the well to do also. They see themselves as green and have the money to buy them new. I would further suspect that many Tesla S Model orders are from very well to do people. Many struggling lower income groups don't shop at Whole Foods and drive Tesla Model S's around town with sophisticated charging systems installed in garage.

The Prius seems to be a very popular vehicle among the rich, environmental set in CA, and I would imagine the Volt does well with the well to do also. They see themselves as green and have the money to buy them new. I would further suspect that many Tesla S Model orders are from very well to do people. Many struggling lower income groups don't shop at Whole Foods and drive Tesla Model S's around town with sophisticated charging systems installed in garage.

If you're going to include low volume darlings like the Tesla S, you might as well include every supercar on the market too. Struggling lower income groups aren't exactly snatching those up either.