Ford Farley Vows to Fix MFT

I'm sure that having Consumer Reports publicize the problems encouraged Ford to address them more quickly. Much like the magazine's negative review of the 2012 Civic encouraged Honda to rush a revamped version into production for the 2013 model year. Let's be realistic - that never would have happened if the magazine had said nothing, or kept the Civic on its "recommended" list. At best, Honda would have released a slightly revamped Civic for the 2015 model year.

Like it or not, the magazine has considerable influence with a significant segment of the car-buying public, and Ford, Honda and other manufacturers are foolish to ignore that fact. Remember when the magazine gave a negative review to the Chevrolet Cobalt, and the GM employee who was responsible for the car lambasted the magazine in a nasty, widely publicized letter? How well that that one work out for GM?

So let's give the magazine some credit for highlighting the problems, and Ford credit for addressing them. As someone who will probably buy a new Ford within the next 12-18 months, I'm VERY interested in potential improvements to MFT.

It likely would have happened regardless in both Ford's and Honda's cases, and likely at much the same speed. It just wouldn't have happened accompanied by press releases bending over backwards to kiss CR's ass.

Out of the box, we're thinking CUE may not be ready for prime time

CR doesn't like CUE either.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/06/new-cadillac-xts-goes-high-tech-with-cue-system.html

Maybe, as BMW learned with iDrive, the best answer will be to slowly reintroduce some of those more-familiar hard buttons and knobs back in over time. It says something when many of us at the track would rather deal with the current iteration of iDrive rather than cope with CUE or MyFord Touch. Maybe with some automotive technology, you have to go forward in order to go back.

I haven't seen a current version of iDrive, the old one was maddening.

Is it odd that on CR's comments there is only 1?

I think there is a BIG misunderstanding about how MFT works...it connects up to your Smart Phone via Bluetooth (wireless connection) or though a USB cable. Both of these standards have been around for nearly 20 years and haven't changed that much, nor will they in the future. You can still use a Bluetooth headset from 5 years ago with a iPhone with no issues.

I quoted you in a comment to CR, hope that was OK!

"The company claims it will offer more driver aids than any other family sedan. We'll see..."

Why the snarky comment? Does Ford have more driver aids.......or not?

Consumer Report is not without it's skeletons: Suzuki, Isuzu and baby seat lawsuits that were lost. You're on a losing battle here too.

If you don't like MFT/MLT so be it. That's your collective opinion, odd that no one disagrees on your staff! It isn't like you have to get it on a Ford. That's why it's called an OPTION. Yet you've taken many Fords off your recommended list because of MFT. That seems like a disservice to your readers. SYNC is now standard on most Fords or available as a stand alone option. A lot of people love MFT.....and are NOT having any problems. Many say they wouldn't buy another car without it.

"Why, if they're trying to help drivers keep their hands on the wheel and their eyes on the road, do some versions of MyFord Touch eliminate physical buttons for simple functions such as climate control adjustments or radio tuning? That makes it nearly impossible to do simple things without looking down at the dashboard and requires much more time with your hands off the wheel. When we submitted this question on the Webcast, the company didn't respond."

I will........try VOICE activation. Some people don't even touch it at all. It could be called MFV (Voice).

The idea that MFT will become outdated is silly. A friend had a 1990 Oldsmobile Trofeo with VIC until recently, bought a new Focus with SYNC.. The built-in phone did become outdated (see comment below). But the Visual Information Center still worked many years later. It was no longer state-of-the-art but worked as intended.

"I think there is a BIG misunderstanding about how MFT works...it connects up to your Smart Phone via Bluetooth (wireless connection) or though a USB cable. Both of these standards have been around for nearly 20 years and haven't changed that much, nor will they in the future. You can still use a Bluetooth headset from 5 years ago with a iPhone with no issues."-----slvrsvt @bon

Plus, Ford has issued updates, so it's not a locked system. Sure there seem to be some occasional bugs still. But like computers in general they are a byproduct of technology....always a work in progress. MFT 7.0?

Edited by timmm55