Ordering a CMax Energi vs Dealer EV Certification

cswunsch

I have been following the progress of the CMax (FCE) coming to the US for over a year. Some months ago, my local dealer told me that October 18th was the first day a retail customer could order one. Other publication I read online stated that the FCE would be rolled out to 19-20 major markets first. So I was prepared to wait probably to early next year to get my FCE.

So on October 18th, I went to the dealership to order a Blue Candy FCE with the 302A package in and Stone iIterior. I watched the sales manager punch in the codes in eager anticipation of being one the first owners of a FCE in this area. When he pushed the enter button the order system rejected the order stating the dealership was not Electrical Vehicle (EV) Certified. They told me that they had started the electrical inspections to install charging stations and the techs were scheduled for training.

So my questions are:

Why can't a retail order be processed prior to EV Certification when the vehicle probably won't be delivered for 4-5 months? That is plenty of time to complete the certification.

Were dealers told that they could not order an EV before completion of the EV Ceritification? Should I be mad a the dealership for not completing this requirement in a timely manner or did Ford not tell them of the requirement?

Thank you for any answers.

Edited by cswunsch

I have been following the progress of the CMax (FCE) coming to the US for over a year. Some months ago, my local dealer told me that October 18th was the first day a retail customer could order one. Other publication I read online stated that the FCE would be rolled out to 19-20 major markets first. So I was prepared to wait probably to early next year to get my FCE.

So on October 18th, I went to the dealership to order a Blue Candy FCE with the 302A package in and Stone iIterior. I watched the sales manager punch in the codes in eager anticipation of being one the first owners of a FCE in this area. When he pushed the enter button the order system rejected the order stating the dealership was not Electrical Vehicle (EV) Certified. They told me that they had started the electrical inspections to install charging stations and the techs were scheduled for training.

So my questions are:

Why can't a retail order be processed prior to EV Certification when the vehicle probably won't be delivered for 4-5 months? That is plenty of time to complete the certification.

Were dealers told that they could not order an EV before completion of the EV Ceritification? Should I be mad a the dealership for not completing this requirement in a timely manner or did Ford not tell them of the requirement?

Thank you for any answers.

I beleive charging stations have to be installed at the dealers vying for inventries of the Plug ins, makes sense really and then of course it would require the mechanics becoming certified to work on them...cart cannot lead the horse, so yes, there were pre-requisites.....

• 4 weeks later...

The EV certification requirement in order for a dealer to be able to order and sell the 2013 C-MAX Energi or 2013 Fusion Hybrid Energi involves more than just installing a couple of charging stations. I was told last week that Ford's certification process is running behind schedule and taht Best Buy (the vendor handling the charging station installations) is running about two months behind schedule. We haven't received our EV certification yet but have been authorized to prep and deliverr 2013 C-MAX Energi units arriving for a fleet delivery.