2013 Titanium horrible MPG so far.

marjen

Ok, this is my 3rd fusion, had a 2007, a 2010 and now a 2013 SE. I do 100% city driving and my city is "Speed Hump" crazy. This has a lot to do with mpg. In addition, the fusion auto transmission is capable of learning your driving habits. If you have bad habits while driving, your transmission begins to drive badly as well. So, every 2,000 miles or so, I disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes, this resets the transmission.

My car was getting about 18 mpg, I did a reset and it now is averaging 21.6 (city) which is "in-line" with Fords city estimate of 22 mpg. Just a tip to help you gas conscience drivers.

That's interesting -- one thing I noticed yesterday was that my transmission seems to be holding lower gears a little too long -- for example, I was going 45 on a fairly level road, wasn't accelerating, and it stuck at around 20 MPG instantaneous for about 1/4-1/3 mile before finally upshifting. I'm thinking my transmission is acting off. I may ask the dealer to take a look at that when they do the headlight recall.

It could be still learning the driving style, and at 45mph, it could be at that borderline speed in the gear where it has just a hard time deciding to hit overdrive or not, and may just held it for for a little longer than usual. If it's kicking in and out of OD a lot, then there may be an issue, to me that sounds almost normal. Not in this car, but in my Explorer, I found it would hold fourth gear for a while before shifting into OD on the highway at about the speed limit (80kmh) (49.7mph), I found if I increased the speed by just a hair to help it out, then let it back itself off.

I'd keep an eye on it for a while, give it a chance to learn your driving habits and develop it's own pattern, and if it's still acting up, then maybe consider taking it in.

Not bad in my eyes!

I just did another trip home with a fresh reset, again about 15-16 miles. Same trip as before on the previous page, Number hit when I made it in the driveway was 7.4 L/100km, or 31.79 MPG. I take advantage with a lot of coasting when I can, and cruise set.

First Fuelly upload was 23.5 MPG over that tank, done a few driving around Christmas shopping trips in town which bring the numbers down a fair bit. Once I run through a few tanks on there, I'll start to get a more overall average. But, so far not looking too bad considering the conditions.

Not bad in my eyes!

I just did another trip home with a fresh reset, again about 15-16 miles. Same trip as before on the previous page, Number hit when I made it in the driveway was 7.4 L/100km, or 31.79 MPG. I take advantage with a lot of coasting when I can, and cruise set.

First Fuelly upload was 23.5 MPG over that tank, done a few driving around Christmas shopping trips in town which bring the numbers down a fair bit. Once I run through a few tanks on there, I'll start to get a more overall average. But, so far not looking too bad considering the conditions.

I don't see you on Fuelly? Or do they have a different site for you Canucks? :P

I was just looking at that, and it's kinda odd. It only lists 10 cars reporting mileage on Fuelly, but when you click on [show all] it lists 37 cars. Mine is there when you click on show all

Ahh, now I see you. Maybe it needs a minimum number of fuel ups before it will do an average and put it on the list?

Ahh, now I see you. Maybe it needs a minimum number of fuel ups before it will do an average and put it on the list?

I also had to click the link for "show all", and there's my 'someday' 2013 Fusion, along with JSkershaw listed right above me (also in the 'someday' club), and a few others from here as well. I guess you have to show an average MPG of other than 'N/A' for it to show on the initial (active?) list?

Another tank in the books, and again averaged 19.5 miles. I would say at least 1/2 the tank was highway travel. WTF??!! This was calculated by hand FYI. Looking at the instant feedback ( I know its not 100% accurate but gives an idea on what the engine is doing, and any pressing of the gas peddle results in it being way down new 5 mpg range. When starting from start it will stay there until I hit 40-45 mph then increase. And this is not gunning it, this is slowing increasing speed. Tried quickly getting up to speed and it seems to make no difference. I am about 1300 miles in, so I have had no change from when I purchased until today, so I think we can debunk the "breakin" myth.

Marjen, maybe it's time to escalate your concerns beyond your local dealer. I too would be disappointed with the numbers you are getting, especially when others are doing so much better. I wonder if you could contact someone at Ford corporate? Maybe you'd be able to get a little more help that way?

I'm not sure what speed they calculate for highway speeds for the estimate, unsure if its 55 or 65. I could not even begin to measure my highway speed as I live in mountainous high desert. The faster your average speed does not ensure better gas mileage, the engine is running at higher rpm's. Is there anyone who has done highway driving at 55 or 65 mpg that can report mpg's?

Holy hell. I just did the fresh reset, exact same trip as my previous two, cruise control set at the same speed all the way home. Only difference.. Temperatures above freezing, 39 degrees, roads bare, climate control off.. Here are my numbers for this trip;

Right after reset number started at 9.9 L/100km (23.7mpg) then started to fall during cruising

Number observed midway home: 7.0 L/100km = 33.6 MPG

Average by the time I hit the driveway: 6.6 L/100km = 35.64 MPG

Lowest number hit after coasting down into town to the speed limit: 6.3 L/100km = 37.34 MPG

This trip feels like mostly uphill at times, ability to recoup the gained numbers on the hill down into town, coasting to the reduced speed limit, and resuming light acceleration once at the town speed limit, then the numbers tend to go up a little bit while I go up the hill on the end of town, and leveling out by the time I hit the driveway.

It's kind of fun seeing how low can you go with the numbers, but again it consists of a lot of coasting when ever you can. It certainly isn't super fun being so aware of the numbers I like to just drive it and not worry about it, but, it's fun right now. The super light cruising trips home are bringing down the average l/100km for this tank, which should hopefully reflect upon my next fuelly update. Just gotta keep myself from doing anything silly with this tank, it's so hard not to have a little fun with the car! :D.. Again, these resets are optimal conditions, low speed limits, car is fully warmed up and having been drivin for a while before the all highway trip home, which to be honest isn't very accurate for an overall average, but shows what the car IS capable of in some conditions.

The neat thing is the Trip 1 & 2 Gauge, you can select a basic, or advanced display. The advanced is almost like a Fuelly upload in real time. Has the distance travelled, MPG average, Gallons/Litres used for that trip. It's a cool screen. I reset that at the beginning of the fresh tank, and randomly reset the instant mileage gauge to see what's going on in real time, and let the other one do the overall average.

Edited by -Strike-
  • Like 1

Haha, there's Strike trying to get a great tank, and there's me beating the car and breaking it in hard. This tank probably had at least 6-7 full throttle 0-60 runs. :D

163656.png

I did reset the trip right before leaving work and my total trip from work to home (12 highway miles, 6 city with a lot of sitting in traffic) and I managed 26mpg overall, which is pretty good IMO. The highway miles are not flat at all, it's a lot of up and down.

Edited by Camride

Just did a drive tonight that's 35 miles and back, expressway. In prior cars I always easily met or exceeded the highway mileage rating on this route. My Fusion, according to the instant monitor, was right around 22.5 MPG. I was travelling between 65 and 70, in light traffic, not varying the pedal much. Something doesn't seem right.

I'm not sure if the torque converter isn't locking up, because it seems to be in 6th gear (I even tried manual shifting to see if that helped). RPM are right around 2,000.

Edited by WithBBQSauce

Just did a drive tonight that's 35 miles and back, expressway. In prior cars I always easily met or exceeded the highway mileage rating on this route. My Fusion, according to the instant monitor, was right around 22.5 MPG. I was travelling between 65 and 70, in light traffic, not varying the pedal much. Something doesn't seem right.

I'm not sure if the torque converter isn't locking up, because it seems to be in 6th gear (I even tried manual shifting to see if that helped). RPM are right around 2,000.

Seems to be a tired expression in this thread......but it should be better than that. I've beaten that on a mixed loop (one & only measurable tank) w/ 23.8. I've seen the average hover around 25 - 26......depends on how much "stop" happens during my commute. Either way not in the 22's mostly highway that's for sure.

Odd was paper & pen exactly matched the trip meter........I'm used to them being off by a bit.