Best way to play a video.

blockisle9

You've done this? And it shows up on the MFT screen? That has never worked before on MFT - video was only available through the RCA jacks.

Oh, I don't know about what file types the MFT will recognize and actually play on the MFT screen. I'm just saying that a video can be played from a flash drive. It would be an interesting experiment to run video through the RCA inputs and see if anything shows up on the screen. I really don't think it will work, seems like the system is set up for audio only.

Edited by Escapism

Oh, I don't know about what file types the MFT will recognize and actually play on the MFT screen. I'm just saying that a video can be played from a flash drive. It would be an interesting experiment to run video through the RCA inputs and see if anything shows up on the screen. I really don't think it will work, seems like the system is set up for audio only.

The owners manual says you must use RCA cables to play video using the A/V RCA jacks in the console. It appears you can control playback through the usb connection but the actual video feed won't work via USB and only works via the RCA A/V inputs.

What type of video - DVDs specifically or downloaded video? For downloaded video an older ipod touch would work fine. For DVDs there are tons of cheap choices out there. As long as they provide RCA outputs or you can get an adapter cable it will work.

Exactly, and you can download a video to a USB drive just as easily. Real question/experiment would be to plug it in your USB in the vehicle and see what happens. :extinguish:

Edited by Escapism

Exactly, and you can download a video to a USB drive just as easily. Real question/experiment would be to plug it in your USB in the vehicle and see what happens. :extinguish:

Sync doesn't have a video player. That's why you need the ipod touch or iphone to play the video through the analog inputs.

I have tried video on a flash drive in the car and no dice. That's why I'm looking for some advice on a cheap small DVD player. I don't have an old ipad touch and since its hardly ever going to be used would rather just deal with keeping a couple of DVDs in the car.

Cheapest is a home DVD player since they don't come with a built-in viewing screen. You'll need an inverter if you don't already have one but most come with a composite video out RCA jack. Best Buy has new ones as low as $25 and a refurbished samsung for $20.

Thank you, I did see those and that is the price range I'm looking for.

I do have an inverter, but was looking for something smaller. Something portable even with out a screen. May be ill have to look at the older iPods. I just don't know much about them or how to get video to them with out having to buy from iTunes .......I'm not really an apple guy.

I do have an inverter, but was looking for something smaller. Something portable even with out a screen. May be ill have to look at the older iPods. I just don't know much about them or how to get video to them with out having to buy from iTunes .......I'm not really an apple guy.

Just get an older ipod touch with the A/V cables. Install itunes. you can copy any video files into the itunes library - not just the ones you buy from itunes. You can also use itunes to rent videos and movies. Plug in the ipod, hit sync and you're good to go.

You can also put all of your music in itunes including from your own cds. Then you'd have sync access to the music and video.

Edited by akirby

I do have an iTunes account, when I buy music I create virtual CDs then rip them to mp3s. I have also riped my cds into mp3s Then I copy then to a flash drive and play them that way in the car.

I never tried to rip a movie, not sure how easy that is??

And by the way I do have an iPhone. I just don't like the way apple restrict things. I may try jail breaking or try an android next.

Sory, kind of got off topic.....

Why would you need an inverter if you could just use the 110V AC outlet in the back of the center console? That is, if your Escape came equipped with it.