2013 Fusion Manual Transmission Impressions...

Zoomzoom5

(A bit off topic) Mine is my 88' 300ZX with the 5 speed manual, super fun car. Actually had it down in your neck of the woods this year, for Branson Z Fest, cruised around the Ozarks, had a blast down there, returning next year.

Excellent. Yeah, Branson has some really cool car shows every year. Also, Friendly Ford in Springfield, MO, has a huge Ford gala and show usually in the Spring. It's a hoot to go to! Long live the manual!

• Like 1

I've owned several manuals but I don't want one for a daily driver. But if I get a weekend sports car it will most definitely be a manual.

Every daily driver I've had has been a manual. Ironically, back in the day, my 2000 F150, an automatic, was my weekend warrior vehicle.

I do wish, however, that the 2.0L Ecoboost was offered with the Manual

This would be an ideal combination. Refinement and responsiveness of the 2.0L Ecoboost engine are top notch, and the MMT6 manual transmission offered in the Fusion is excellent as well.

That being said, I am very grateful to Ford for continuing to offer a manual transmission Fusion in the U.S. market at all, just as it had in 2010 when I bought my Fusion 6MT.

• Like 1

Even if Ford wanted to do that it would be illegal. There is no restriction on ordering or stocking manuals - that's up to the dealers whether they want to stock one or not.

Oh sure... dealers can order whatever manual 2013 Fusions they want for dealer stock but Ford will not schedule them unless they're a "Retail" order for a customer. I don't know where you got the idea that it's illegal for a manufacturer to restrict production. Just read the fine print in any brochure/catalog stating that they reserve the right to make changes or cancel models at any time, etc!

Edited by ice-capades

Oh sure... dealers can order whatever manual 2013 Fusions they want for dealer stock but Ford will not schedule them unless they're a "Retail" order for a customer. I don't know where you got the idea that it's illegal for a manufacturer to restrict production. Just read the fine print in any brochure/catalog stating that they reserve the right to make changes or cancel models at any time, etc!

You misunderstood. I was saying that Ford cannot FORCE the dealership to buy a manual so customers can have test drives. Ford can restrict production but they can't force dealers to buy a specific vehicle.

Are you saying that if you ordered a manual for dealer stock that Ford would not build it? That's the first time I've ever heard of that.

I'm just bummed that it's getting harder and harder to test drive a manual transmission car. Not in the too distant past, and this was a shock, I went to test drive a Honda Accord V6 with a six speed manual....rare, but there it was. The salesman talked it up a bit...when we got to the part to test drive...he seemed hesitant. With a little more talking I got the impression this guy didn't know how to drive a stick and wouldn't be able to simply back it out of the row of cars it was in. I asked him if I could move it out...and he seemed so relieved! He stopped short of saying yes, due to their policy that the dealer associate has to move cars in and out of the parking area, he asked me very seriously, "I could get in big trouble for this, but go ahead." So, I patiently waited for him to go get the keys...and luckily for him a saleswoman came over wondering why we were talking so long...it didn't take her long to realize what was the problem...she simply waited with me until the salesman returned with the keys and she backed the car out. The guys face was so red. He was so embarrassed! Anyway, had a great drive with her and him in the car. My friends laughed and laughed about this experience I had. A salesman that couldn't drive a stick!

Edited by Zoomzoom5

I just read the most recent Motor Trend COTY issue, and the fusion made it to the final 11. They had some negative things to say about the handling that I hadn't heard before, but one of them remarked that the steering reminded them of the BMW 3 series. Also said that if you were going to auto-x a family sedan, the 1.6l 6 speed stick would be the one to choose. I was slightly sad to see the cmax was quicker in the 1/4 mile than the 1.6 stick though.

I just read the most recent Motor Trend COTY issue, and the fusion made it to the final 11. They had some negative things to say about the handling that I hadn't heard before, but one of them remarked that the steering reminded them of the BMW 3 series. Also said that if you were going to auto-x a family sedan, the 1.6l 6 speed stick would be the one to choose. I was slightly sad to see the cmax was quicker in the 1/4 mile than the 1.6 stick though.

Cmax has electric motors with instant torque. Hard to match that with just an ICE.

Are you saying that if you ordered a manual for dealer stock that Ford would not build it? That's the first time I've ever heard of that.

This restriction (Retail Sold Orders only) is noted on page 5 of the 2013 Fusion Order Guide dated 08/01/12.

Edited by aneekr

• 3 weeks later...

I came across what may be the only unspoken for manual transmission Fusion 2013 in the USA: http://www.cars.com/...racktype=usedcc

Anyone near Coraopolis, PA want to take it for a spin and post up your impressions? Of course, you'll probably need to wait at least a week until the recall work is done.

Was that a retail order that somebody backed out of or did the dealer lie about it being a retail (sold) order? The order guide says manual trans are for retail order only (which I don't understand).

• Like 1

Was that a retail order that somebody backed out of or did the dealer lie about it being a retail (sold) order? The order guide says manual trans are for retail order only (which I don't understand).

I expect that a lot of Ford dealers have put in "Retail" orders for manual transmission 2013 Fusions under fictitious names in order to have one available for potential customers to drive and/or purchase. I'd expect that most of the potential market is with foreign vehicle owners and a niche market. Even so, I don't agree or understand why Ford has restricted the manual transmission 2013 Fusion to retail orders.

I would guess it's because not too many people looking for a midsize family sedan is looking for a manual. They probably just don't move fast enough to even have it sit on the lot. And Ford definitely seems like it tries to keep it's inventory flowing, and not sitting stagnant. Definitely sucks for those who still prefer the MT, and can't even test drive it though.

I would guess it's because not too many people looking for a midsize family sedan is looking for a manual. They probably just don't move fast enough to even have it sit on the lot. And Ford definitely seems like it tries to keep it's inventory flowing, and not sitting stagnant. Definitely sucks for those who still prefer the MT, and can't even test drive it though.

But that's up to the dealer to worry about, not Ford. This is totally out of the ordinary to restrict such a feature to retail orders only.

• Like 1