2013 Fusion Manual Transmission Impressions...

Zoomzoom5

The dealers are too worried they wouldn't be able to sell a manual as easily...and perhaps rightly so, but having an example for the general consumer does increase interest in the car. Several of my friends and relatives prefer the manuals and we are not ignorant of the fact the row-your-own transmission is slowly disappearing. Take a look at the Fusion's car class segment and very few offer a manual...and if it does, it's on the low end base models. Who said those of us who drive manuals don't want the same equipment as the upper trim levels? Anyway, go Ford for having this option with one of its best motors!

Edited by Zoomzoom5

This was also a problem with the 2000 Lincoln LS which offered a manual. Dealers wouldn't stock them so no test drives. I asked the then VP of Marketing Jim Rogers why they didn't just require each dealer to stock one manual for test drives and his response was "because I don't want to go to jail." The implication was that Ford cannot force dealers to buy specific vehicles due to franchise laws. So all Ford can do is offer it and hope the dealers keep some for test drives but they can't force them.

Thank you for the input akirby. It's too bad so many dealers are gun shy. Have some faith guys! We enthusiasts are ready with checkbook in hand, but we gotta drive it first. Personal preference, I have to drive it to make sure I can live with it for several years. My Protege still shifts better than a lot of newer manuals out there...and that's with 19 years and 314,000+ miles on it. Yeah, still the original tranny and clutch. I keep telling her to get me two more years! LOL

The problem is there just aren't enough enthusiasts for most dealers to take the chance. I'm sure some have ordered manuals in other vehicles and had them sit for months and months. It's hard to blame the dealers when you look at it from that perspective. Besides - most people who really want the manual would be willing to order one anyway.

Just be happy you can still order one with a manual.

I have ordered a 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6L Ecoboost Manual Transmission....and can't wait for it to arrive!

I will be sure to post my thoughts on the driving experience if the car actually gets delivered sometime before the next generation model comes out.

• Like 2

I have ordered a 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6L Ecoboost Manual Transmission....and can't wait for it to arrive!

I will be sure to post my thoughts on the driving experience if the car actually gets delivered sometime before the next generation model comes out.

Ay laddie! Hopefully before Jesus comes again! I look forward to the review. I wonder if anyone throughout this nation has seen a manual on a dealer lot? Hmm....

My manual transmission Fusion is scheduled to be built next week.

Zoomzoom, glad to hear from another kindred rowing fanatic. I took full advantage of tricking out the options on mine.

Alas, mine remains in Fusion purgatory...built 10/22....

Outstanding Field Service Actions

12T08 - OR TO SALE

• Like 1

Has anyone who ordered the stick driven a Fusion or Escape for that matter, with the 1.6l. I guess I'm just wondering if the motor itself is good and would want to see its power delivery even with the auto. Any thoughts?

I drove the 1.6 Fusion prior to ordering the manual. It had plenty of torque down low and good power delivery. I also found it to be one of the best sounding four cylinder cars I have ever driven.

For me the Manual Transmission is the only choice.

I do wish, however, that the 2.0L Ecoboost was offered with the Manual

I am all for saving gas and being fuel efficient, which the 1.6L Ecoboost does exceptionally well......but there are those of us out there that are choosing to buy manual transmissions for reasons other than cost or fuel efficiency. (ie: Driving Pleasure and Enjoyment)

• Like 1

Zoomzoom, glad to hear from another kindred rowing fanatic. I took full advantage of tricking out the options on mine.

Alas, mine remains in Fusion purgatory...built 10/22....

Outstanding Field Service Actions

12T08 - OR TO SALE

Ay, the chosen few Kpeex, yes, my first manual I drove was when I was five years old, a 1957 Ford 600 Tractor. I had to jump off the seat and hit the clutch just ahead of the breaks so I didn't kill the tractor! Been hooked ever since. I've had a manual 1984 Audi GT Coupe (great dirt road car), 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 (average new to 62,000 miles: 38.1 mpg when I owned it..cried when we traded it for the Honda), 2002 Honda Accord (gutless wonder, but fully laden got 30mpg driving cross country through the mountains...not too shabby) and 1986 Toyota Corolla GT-S with the Fox motor (incredible drifting car!). Oh the memories!

• Like 1