Eyes-Free Comes to Chevy "The Siri Button"

I want this, and I want it badly. I just want it in a car I would buy.

To be clear, this is exactly how I use Siri now in my Sync cars, I just have to handle my phone to activate Siri which isn't ideal and not as safe. I especially like it for text messaging, although the Mics in my MKX/Edge are pretty bad so it doesn't work reliably so most of the time I have to kill the connection to the car to get it to work right. Other Sync Fords seem to do just fine, like the F-150 and 2013 Escape (and the Mariner I had before the Edge). Incidentally, Sync does not play as nicely with Android phones, I can't use Google Voice at all in my cars, audio is muted and it doesn't come through the speakers at all. And for whatever reason, the Nexus 4 is useless in my car, can't even place a call and BT Audio sounds horrible.

Seriously, I just want to bypass Sync most of the time, it's far less reliable than my smart phone. At least iPhone is making that easy, yet another reason I end up staying with iPhone no matter how many Android/Windows 8 devices I use.

Link

Edited by BORG

Answer: Buy a better Android phone.

Siri-ously?

Comparing a cheap Android phone with a more expensive iPhone isn't reasonable.

Buying a better Android--one more capable than the ones they give away for free (or minimal cost)--gives better results.

One problem with Android (I'll admit) is the extra fluff that many carriers add on top of the base operating system. But even with this, my Droid Razr is every bit as capable (where there is overlap) as any iPhone I've come across.

Edited by RangerM

Answer: Buy a better Android phone.

GS3, Note 2, Nexus 4, Droid DNA....I have them all. Seriously.

I don't mean to boast, I'm a tech reviewer/enthusiast. It's my job to have all of this, LOL.

Right now I'm rocking the Nexus 4.

Edited by BORG

I've had absolutely zero issues with integtrating my Nexus into Sync/MFT. The only "issue" you seem to have with it is that you expect it to perform in ways that Ford doesn't intend it to.

It's not Ford's fault, I'm just pointing out that iOS 6 has managed to make this work with or without a Siri button so the integration is already there.

Edited by BORG

I don't mean to boast, I'm a tech reviewer/enthusiast. It's my job to have all of this, LOL.

Right now I'm rocking the Nexus 4.

Since Nexus 4 has only been out for a couple of weeks, perhaps you should give it more time. I've had my Droid Razr Maxx since February and I'm only just now getting really good with it.

I'd also imagine that Ford probably performed most of their testing with an iPhone (of which there are few) and a couple of different Androids (of which there are many). I would expect some inconsistencies with the Androids by virtue of the diversity of available models (and carriers). However, it would not preclude me from considering one.

My wife's Hyundai came with handsfree BT (with navigation) which included a list of phones with which it had been tested.

"While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page."

Siri is useless to begin with. Take away the ability to disply answers as a web page, as it obviously should in a car, and there's not much use for it at all then. So what's the point of this new integration if it only works with one type of phone? It's just a fancier version of the specialty iPod cable that some vehicles used to come with or charge you extra for.

Just my 2 cents and to join the 'hate-fest'...j/k. I have found in my experience there's a factor that is not discussed with compatibility with the device/vehicle software interface is your device network provider. I have an old Samsung on Rogers here in 'Kanata'. Checking the chart provided with 'Sync My Ride': Some devices are tested by Ford to see if you can exploit all the features from 'Standard' to 'Gold' IIRC. Perhaps for someone new in the techno-age, background online checking is a pain. For the Tecno-savvy, it's second-nature. Just some food for thought.

I want this, and I want it badly. I just want it in a car I would buy.

To be clear, this is exactly how I use Siri now in my Sync cars, I just have to handle my phone to activate Siri which isn't ideal and not as safe. I especially like it for text messaging, although the Mics in my MKX/Edge are pretty bad so it doesn't work reliably so most of the time I have to kill the connection to the car to get it to work right. Other Sync Fords seem to do just fine, like the F-150 and 2013 Escape (and the Mariner I had before the Edge). Incidentally, Sync does not play as nicely with Android phones, I can't use Google Voice at all in my cars, audio is muted and it doesn't come through the speakers at all. And for whatever reason, the Nexus 4 is useless in my car, can't even place a call and BT Audio sounds horrible.

Seriously, I just want to bypass Sync most of the time, it's far less reliable than my smart phone. At least iPhone is making that easy, yet another reason I end up staying with iPhone no matter how many Android/Windows 8 devices I use.

Link

BORG,

Did you look at their list of "features" of using Siri?

• Make voice-activated, hands-free calls to Contacts on their iPhone
  • Play songs in the iTunes library, and even switch music sources automatically from AM/FM/XM radio to iPod mode
  • Listen to, and compose and send an iMessage or text message to a phone number or anyone in saved Contacts
  • Access Calendar and add appointments
  • Minimize distraction even more by keeping the screen of the iPhone from lighting up, even when Siri answers simple questions such as game scores or the dates of national holidays
  • While in Eyes Free mode, Siri will not provide answers to complex questions that require displaying a web page.

Look at the two things I highlighted.

1) It says "switch ... from", not "switch between" or "switch back and forth". You know why? because this is a hardware button + BT audio one way "integration", Siri can't tell your car to do SHIT!

This is NOT what an automaker wants/calls an integration. Period.

2) Is using Siri to do navigation on Iphone screen out of the question, then?

If true, this can't be what Apple wanted (unless they know they can't fix the Apple Map). Looks like GM is either too concerned about safety/liability, or they just don't want to give Apple the Navigation business. Whatever reason, GM succeeded over Apple. What a surprise!

Do you still want "this" badly?

Let's face it, the Siri button will be garbage and GM is the guinea pig for this. I bet other mfrs back out of their plans for this once they see how badly it fails. To use Siri effectively, if even possible based on my experience, you need a quiet room and you need to speak slowly and clearly to it. The cockpit of a moving vehicle is not ideal for Siri commands to be spoken in. For example, if I'm driving my car with the windows open I can still make Sync understand my commands if I speak louder because it's geared towards scenarios like that and was built for use specifically in a car. Speaking louder to Siri actually makes it function worse, then add in the wind from the downed windows and you have a recipe for complete failure because it was built to be used up close and personal in a quiet place.

My coworker can use Siri via bluetooth in his '11 Kia Optima but gave up on it after it repeatedly misunderstood his requests to send texts and make calls via Siri. Since it's cold here now his windows were up and he was alone in the one example he gave to us. You would figure those to be optimal conditions for using Siri in the car but "she" still failed to understand what he was saying repeatedly.

To use Siri effectively, if even possible based on my experience, you need a quiet room and you need to speak slowly and clearly to it. The cockpit of a moving vehicle is not ideal for Siri commands to be spoken in. For example, if I'm driving my car with the windows open I can still make Sync understand my commands if I speak louder because it's geared towards scenarios like that and was built for use specifically in a car. Speaking louder to Siri actually makes it function worse, then add in the wind from the downed windows and you have a recipe for complete failure because it was built to be used up close and personal in a quiet place.

What you are describing is a function of the noise reduction system in the automobile's microphones and audio processing. It has nothing to do with Siri.

When using Siri just over the phone's microphone, yes it will probably be terrible as it will pick up every ounce of noise.

If the microphones and audio processing can pick up your voice and filter noise effectively enough for Sync, there is no reason they can't do the same with Siri - since the audio input would not be going through the phone microphone but rather through the auto microphone.

But here is the kicker: I already use Siri in a GM product. When I have my iPhone connected with the car over bluetooth - I can invoke Siri in our Camaro convertible just fine, at highway speeds. The Camaro microphone system is really good, and the noise cancelling works great. Siri works just as good as it ever does. (Our VW Jetta had less effective noise cancellation and it doesnt work as well).

I think the difference here is that there is supposed to be tighter integration with the Siri command sets and the car systems. Currently, I can only issue instructions to my _phone_. I think the new plan is to have the car systems *also* controllable with Siri. I may be wrong on this point though...

My C-Max is on order, so I don't know how well it will work in there yet.

Apple is doing something right

Yes.

But that 'something' is not providing seamless integration with multiple vendor command sets.

Any integration of Siri with vehicle electronics requires at least a manufacturer specific middleware layer--and possibly a model specific middleware layer--that will present an intelligible API to Siri/iOS. Can you imagine Apple writing that middleware layer?

More likely Apple would require the manufacturer to write the middleware layer, and would then arbitrarily change Siri's command set, obsoleting the middleware layer. Or drop Siri entirely and replace it with something new that isn't at all compatible. Shoot, Apple's implementation of the BT protocol is glitchy; why would you expect their implementation of any other protocol--even one they wrote themselves--to be foolproof.

And that doesn't even touch the silliness of a manufacturer limiting its vehicle electronics to work optimally *only* when used in conjunction with a smartphone that has less than 50% market penetration, and then only when a reliable data link is available.

Edited by RichardJensen

Siri controlling systems in the car?

That'll work great. After all, Apple plays so well with others.

No worse than Microsoft.

Worse, Way Worse.

The reason: said Microsoft is built IN the car.

Read my previous post where I quoted GM press release. Siri can't control a damn thing of the car systems. Siri may not even do Navigation on the iPhone screen (definitely NOT on the car LCD screen) when it's activated through the "Siri button".

Yes.

But that 'something' is not providing seamless integration with multiple vendor command sets.

Any integration of Siri with vehicle electronics requires at least a manufacturer specific middleware layer--and possibly a model specific middleware layer--that will present an intelligible API to Siri/iOS. Can you imagine Apple writing that middleware layer?

More likely Apple would require the manufacturer to write the middleware layer, and would then arbitrarily change Siri's command set, obsoleting the middleware layer. Or drop Siri entirely and replace it with something new that isn't at all compatible. Shoot, Apple's implementation of the BT protocol is glitchy; why would you expect their implementation of any other protocol--even one they wrote themselves--to be foolproof.

And that doesn't even touch the silliness of a manufacturer limiting its vehicle electronics to work optimally *only* when used in conjunction with a smartphone that has less than 50% market penetration, and then only when a reliable data link is available.

That's right, because MFT is reliable and Siri is not. Gotcha! I'll have to tell my car and iPhone this so they agree.

Here is a simple fact. I am an iPhone user and a MFT user, I am telling you that I would rather use Siri ANY DAY. So as a consumer who, you know, buys allot of stuff...I want a Siri button. Market forces and such...get it done...enough with the excuses and future maybes that don't add up. Have a good day.

Edited by BORG

That's right, because MFT is reliable and Siri is not. Gotcha! I'll have to tell my car and iPhone this so they agree.

Here is a simple fact. I am an iPhone user and a MFT user, I am telling you that I would rather use Siri ANY DAY. So as a consumer who, you know, buys allot of stuff...I want a Siri button. Market forces and such...get it done. Have a good day.

RJ didn't dispute ANY of that. All he was stating is that Apple isn't known for creating backward compatible software that will be guaranteed usable with 3rd party integration for the foreseeable future.