Eyes-Free Comes to Chevy "The Siri Button"

It has happened with just about every computer product since time began.

Not like this.

This is an established non-upgradable device that commands a premium price that did not even last a year before being pulled from the market and put into Apple's incredibly short "End Of Support" cycle. Name one comparable instance from a company not named Apple.

Clearly the mass market doesn't care about soldered components....I am not sure what this has to do with getting new gadgets regularly.

When the latest version of CS comes out, and your $2,000 MacBook doesn't have enough memory to use it without lagging, you're hosed. That's what it has to do with getting new gadgets.

This is in fact annoying. I disagree with it too. Although I am not updating any of my Macs to Mountain Lion - they work just fine on Snow Leopard.

Apple's cavalier attitude toward customers using products it no longer sells (whether it's soldered batteries, memory, and SSD drives or their rapid cycling of OSes) will eventually catch up with them.

Edited by RichardJensen

What technology change led Apple to launch a new iPad seven months after launching a new iPad?

What technology change justifies Apple's increasing use of soldered components?

What technology change justifies Apple's decision to exclude very expensive multiple-core Intel machines from the Mountain Lion upgrade cycle?

iPad 4th Gen was updated with a much faster next-gen processor which runs cooler. New Dual-Band WiFi antennas. New FaceTime HD camera (as opposed to VGA). Faster RAM. Lightning Connector. And revised Ceullar radios for global LTE and Sprint support. As for why it was done....is this a rhetorical question? Do you not understand tech and market forces which influence buying decisions? 7-months is a long time in tech and it's not like the old one is no longer supported!

Soldered, glued, and welded. Apple is not unique in this design process, especially for affordable mobile and lightweight tech. I have a 10 year old iPod and the battery still works. For the record, iPhone 5 is much easier to open and repair than the old one.

As for OSX not running on certain pre Late-2009 Macs, chalk it up to the GPU.

Edited by BORG

iPad 4th Gen was updated with a much faster next-gen processor which runs cooler. New Dual-Band WiFi antennas. New FaceTime HD camera (as opposed to VGA). Faster RAM. Lightning Connector. And revised Ceullar radios for global LTE and Sprint support. As for why it was done....is this a rhetorical question? Do you not understand tech and market forces which influence buying decisions? 7-months is a long time in tech and it's not like the old one is no longer supported!

1 - All of which makes the iPad "3" look, in hindsight, like a cynical cash grab.

2 - 7 months is not a long time in tech. It just isn't. Apple's marketers have led you to that conclusion, much to the delight of their bankers.

Soldered, glued, and welded. Apple is not unique in this design process, especially for affordable mobile and lightweight tech.

Since when has 'affordable' been at all synonymous with 'Apple'?

As for OSX not running on certain pre Late-2009 Macs, chalk it up to the GPU.

Wrong. Chalk it up to Apple's unwillingness to add code to support that GPU. They could do it, certainly have the money to spend on it, would not degrade performance elsewhere by doing it, but they didn't do it.

Why?

Because they aren't making money off three year old Macs.

Also, I want to draw special attention to this quote:

it's not like the old one is no longer supported!

Once a product is pulled from the shelves at your local Apple store, the clock starts ticking. That $2,500 Mac you bought in 2009 being a prime example. June 2012: "It's not like the old one is no longer supported." July 2012: "Uh oh. It's no longer supported."

Apple's success is partially due to canny business strategy, and partially due to their ability to inspire misplaced religious devotion....... As Bob Dylan said, 'You gotta serve somebody', and there are people who serve Apple.

Colbert: GM and Apple are teaming up to bring Siri to Cars, or as Siri understood it, M&M and Snapple are teaming up to bring cherries to Mars. http://www.colbertnation.com/

Even though that's meant to be a joke it just about says it all right there. It's been said here that better mics in the cars will make Siri function just as it would in a quiet room. I still say that's BS because Google's voice search in their app (I've only used it on iOS) works a million times better, on an iPhone and iPad, regardless of where you use it. iPhones have noise cancelling mics built in so I don't buy that better microphone idea.

If you're looking to buy a vehicle with a Siri button my advice is to wait a couple of years when Google maps and Google voice are used for iOS maps and Siri respectively.

1 - All of which makes the iPad "3" look, in hindsight, like a cynical cash grab.

The iPad 3 introduced the retina display to the iPad. There were a few other tweaks, but that was the big selling point. If you had an iPad 2, it wasn't worth the upgrade. If you had an original iPad, the new display, increased memory, faster CPU/GPU were worth it. If you didn't own a tablet, it made the iPad more desirable than its competitors. Sounds like a reasonable business decision to me.

The iPad 3 introduced the retina display to the iPad. There were a few other tweaks, but that was the big selling point. If you had an iPad 2, it wasn't worth the upgrade. If you had an original iPad, the new display, increased memory, faster CPU/GPU were worth it. If you didn't own a tablet, it made the iPad more desirable than its competitors. Sounds like a reasonable business decision to me.

I think he was saying that they could have just put the iPad 4 on the market as the 3 rather than do both within 7 months. I think the new connector was the big reason to release the 4 early. How else would they sell all those expensive new connectors and docks for Christmas? They'll certainly sell more now rather than in March.

Your reasonable business decision is my cynical cash grab. How many people with iPad 2s lined up and plunked down their hard earned on an iPad "3" because of the retina display?

You can't blame it all on Apple though. Just because ID10Ts plunk down cash for something just because it's "Apple's New Thing", it's not all Apple's fault. The Samsung commercials poking fun at the iPhone 5 (and its customers) pretty much sum it up...

You can't blame it all on Apple though.

I'm blaming Apple for adopting an unsustainable business practice. At least they're saving the money they're making now instead of spending it on overvalued companies, and then taking billion dollar write-offs shortly afterward (looking at you HP).

At a certain point in time, people aren't going to put up with this crap anymore. Well, except for the ones for whom Apple is a surrogate religion, in which case, buying a new iWhatever every five or six months is cheaper than paying tithes.

Edited by RichardJensen

Your reasonable business decision is my cynical cash grab. How many people with iPad 2s lined up and plunked down their hard earned on an iPad "3" because of the retina display?

I don't know anyone with an iPad 2 that bought an iPad 3. I agree that doing so would have been foolish. And yes, I am sure that there were many foolish people that did just that.