Replace stock SE audio?

maxpowers1

I put $500 down to reserve a "dealer ordered" 2013 Fusion Hybrid SE that was supposed to arrive at my local dealer in late October. However, like many of you my car is stuck in TBD limbo at Hermosillo. My deposit is refundable so I thought I would test drive a few other cars while I waited. After driving a C-Max SEL with the Sony audio system I am starting to wonder if the stock Fusion SE audio system will cut it for me. I know I will eventually be able to get the Sony audio system in the titanium hybrid but the car I am replacing isn't the most reliable so I am not sure I can wait until early next year. Normally I would just opt for an aftermarket head unit and upgrade the speakers but with the Fusion having the new noise cancellation technology I am wondering if I will be locked into the current SE stock audio system?

Does anybody know if it is possible to switch out the audio system in the Fusion SE without the noise cancellation going crazy? Also, having only driven the Fusion SE and the C-Max, has anybody been able to compare the Sony system in the non-hybrid Fusion Titanium to the stock Fusion SE audio system?

Thanks!

There are many tricks you can do to keep the same head unit, but increase the output to your speakers. You can also get a decent amplifier and upgrade the speakers so that you can continue to use the same head unit but have more sound.

I have heard of some that tried out a base SE and they said that the sound system is actually pretty good. My current car has 6 speakers, so I don't expect the Fusion system to be worse than what I already have.

Replacing the head unit isn't an easy task because you do have to consider that the system has Sync and steering wheel controls. Most aftermarket stereos won't support this and if you can find a work-around it won't work the same.

Some food for thought...

I have the hybrid and have really enjoyed the "standard" radio that comes with it. Quite frankly, it's so darn quiet in the car, six speakers is more than enough sound. As an added bonus, the "basic" radio does adapt to provide the best sound for either the driver, everyone, or just the rear. It's an option buried in the sound settings menu and it works very well.

Haha, I noticed that too deadman. It's not all the time that it does that. I find I have to set it for each source that I choose, some times it remembers it, but sometimes it doesn't?

That's weird: it goes back, but not all the time ... What's the point of having a 12 speaker system if it defaults to just 2 (I know it's not just 2 for stereo, just making a point) :)

I hope the next big SYNC update addresses this and adds AppLink :)

• Like 2

That's weird: it goes back, but not all the time ... What's the point of having a 12 speaker system if it defaults to just 2 (I know it's not just 2 for stereo, just making a point) :)

I hope the next big SYNC update addresses this and adds AppLink :)

I had a Sony stereo in my '10 Fusion SEL. I tried stereo vs. surround sound on regular radio, sirius, and CD. It is a much

better, crisp, clear sound on the stereo setting, IMO. The surround sound setting is for DVD's played on the entertainment system

or for CD's that are recorded in Dolby 5.1, 7.1 or other surround sound formats. My guess is that the MFT is defaulting to the

correct setting for the type of imput you are asking it to play. If you have a true surround sound CD or DVD set it on the surround

setting. If you are listening to the radio, sirius or a normal CD keep it on stereo.

I had a Sony stereo in my '10 Fusion SEL. I tried stereo vs. surround sound on regular radio, sirius, and CD. It is a much

better, crisp, clear sound on the stereo setting, IMO. The surround sound setting is for DVD's played on the entertainment system

or for CD's that are recorded in Dolby 5.1, 7.1 or other surround sound formats. My guess is that the MFT is defaulting to the

correct setting for the type of imput you are asking it to play. If you have a true surround sound CD or DVD set it on the surround

setting. If you are listening to the radio, sirius or a normal CD keep it on stereo.

Agreed. Surround sound for stereo recordings and broadcasts is not recommended.