2013 Fusion T - Air ride?

B8BB8B

So I think this is the Fusion I go "all out" on. I really love the styling and engine + AWD, so I was thinking of doing it the right way and getting air installed ( seeing the trunk is soooo big I wouldn't have a problem mounting all the gear )

I'm really considering this because I do a lot of driving but I still want a fancy car so why not have the ability to lift or lower it up to 4-6 inches. Drive it on the highway nice and lowered or when it snows raise it right up.

I'm hoping someone on here has a little not of experience with air on their past Fusions! I will need all the help I can get !

• Like 1

I find the car already rides like a dream, even with the 19's with the 40 series tires. The ride quality is exceptional. You could probably kiss your warranty good by if you were to start adding all the air ride gear. If you could have it developed to fit properly, and not come up with a hack job of parts for other vehicles that have a questionable fit and quality, then more power to you. But, if you go this route, do it the right way, and work with a company to have parts developed for this specific application. Who knows what kind of crap you'll get into with the AWD system, advanc trac and stability control, ABS systems and such when you start pissing around with suspension.

Personally, it's not something I would consider. The car already looks amazing, I don't really see the need to slam it on bags, unless you're trying to go for a show car or something. Maybe a proper coilover suspension so you can tune in your ride height and quality. But, that's just my opinion. I have no experience in air bag systems, so I couldn't tell you for sure.

• Like 1

..........I'm wondering why you would think this to be a bad idea?

I hesitate to use the term "bad idea" (as an owner you can do as you please) but Ford spent a couple ba-zillion dollars engineering the car for handling & comfort. They hit this one right on the head, great balance between handling & comfort = I'm not certain you gain too much of anything without killing something else.

It's your call but I'd give a lot of thought to how well it balances now.

FWIW - the Fusion rides like every German car I've owned. Supple but capable - it's a very tough balance to achieve. On our first test drive my wife's 1st comment was "wow, how Teutonic.....feels like a 5 series" :D (which is funny given some German autos are getting more American - floaty, Ford is giving a more Euro auto)

Edited by Bailey151
  • Like 2

Wow, lots of hate on bags in here. I think it's a great idea as long as it's done well with a good system. I've got coilovers on my Audi and it is still one of my favorite mods. I don't end up adjusting them too often, but I like that I can. Air is certainly much easier, but it's also more expensive.

As far as real info, I'm pretty sure you won't find it here. I'm not sure if there are any more "mod friendly" Fusion forums, but I would try looking for something like that first. The general concepts for air are pretty straight forward, most will transition just fine across platforms. So any good write up on installing bags should be pretty similar. Depending on your budget though it might be worth paying a good shop to do it.

If you haven't done bags before I would definitely hold off and see how you like the car first. In the order complexity for shock/spring mods you have: lowering springs (static height), coilovers (manually adjustable) and bags (can be adjusted on the fly). Bags are a lot of work and I'd only recommend doing them after serious thought. And definitely ride in a car that has them to make sure you're not going to hate the way it rides.

Air bag systems for cars are well documented on the web, there is a coolness factor which depends on the owner, and it is relatively simple for a good experienced installer to install the electric air pump, the tank for compressed air storage, the control and the airbags instead of the factory coil springs. My guess is with the factory shocks, the ride and handling would be similar to factory. Would I do it? No. I already think the car looks bitchen bone stock:post-48691-0-17070500-1354680172_thumb.jpg

IMO the Fusion would look perfect about 1"-1.5" lower, as I hate wheel gap. It doesn't need to be tucked to look good to me, it just shouldn't have more than a finger's gap between the tire and fender. I will consider lowering springs at some point (no need to get coilovers for this car for me, I wouldn't be adjusting the height like I have on my Audi) but I'd probably want to get them from Ford (if they offer them) so it doesn't impact my warranty.

IMO the Fusion would look perfect about 1"-1.5" lower, as I hate wheel gap. It doesn't need to be tucked to look good to me, it just shouldn't have more than a finger's gap between the tire and fender. I will consider lowering springs at some point (no need to get coilovers for this car for me, I wouldn't be adjusting the height like I have on my Audi) but I'd probably want to get them from Ford (if they offer them) so it doesn't impact my warranty.

I'm with you on the amount of drop that would be good, though I'm not going to hold my breath on ford offering the kit since they would then have them install it to keep the warranty. I'll just have to wait for the warranty to be out and I'll do it myself. I hate waiting though.

• 8 months later...

That picture is kinda skewed. In the first one its either on jacks in the back somehow or its photo shopped. Tucked is a trend like neons were when I was more youthful. Its not a stance I prefer but its also not my car. You have to mod it your way to make you happy.

I would like to put coilovers on it however making a ride more stiff also introduces more opportunity for rattles to develop.