2013 Ford Fusion rated IIHS Top Safety Pick+

troystarr

Hi folks -

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) announced today that the 2013 Ford Fusion has been rated as a Top Safety Pick+ in the United States, which incorporates not only the previous ratings for the Top Safety Pick designation (moderate overlap front crash, side impact crash, rear impact crash, and roof strength), but also the new small overlap front crash rating. 2013 Ford Fusions that are built starting in mid-December 2012 are rated by the IIHS as "acceptable" in the new small overal front crash test, on a scale of poor, marginal, acceptable, and good.

Per the IIHS, Ford made structural changes to the Ford Fusion starting in mid-December "to improve occupant protection in small overlap frontal crashes," and those changes allowed it to receive the acceptable rating. I have yet to see a precise date on when those changes to the production line were made. (Suffice it to say, my Fusion built on December 4 is unlikely to include those improvements. :-) )

Congratulations to the 2013 Honda Accord sedan and the 2013 Suzuki Kizashi (as well as the previously tested 2013 Acura TL and 2013 Volvo S60) for achieving "good" ratings on the new small overlap front crash test.

More information can be found at these links:

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=37532

http://www.iihs.org/...s/pr122012.html

http://www.iihs.org/...ies.aspx?id=561

http://www.iihs.org/...40&seriesid=561

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odOhvmhM48M

- Troy

Edited by troystarr

Notable contemporary results:

"Toyota Motor Corp.’s Camry, the best-selling mid-size car in the U.S., and the Prius V hybrid earned the lowest ratings in a new crash test simulating a severe front-end collision, an insurance group found.

The two Toyotas received the only “poor” scores on an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety test intended to evaluate a crash in which the front corner of a vehicle collides with another car, a tree or a pole. It is more stringent than the U.S. government’s test, which simulates a collision in which two vehicles or objects meet head on."

Wow...I wonder where the engine went..looks like it went completely into the cabin pulverizing all occupants and victims into an instant death. On the bright side though, if anyone survived getting the engine placed on their laps they only need to replace the front half of the car.

That should save a couple thou. Acceptable indeed.

Edited by DarkeRetribution

Wow...I wonder where the engine went..looks like it went completely into the cabin pulverizing all occupants and victims into an instant death. On the bright side though, if anyone survived getting the engine placed on their laps they only need to replace the front half of the car.

How much you want to bet the engine didn't come anywhere near the passenger compartment. Where did it go? Went right underneath the passenger shell, never came anywhere near the occupants.

While the rest of the vehicle is a mess the passenger compartment is likely in good condition........that's how you earn a top pick.

• Like 2

Why would the engine go anywhere? It hit the front corner, it doesn't look like any of the engine bay was affected at all. In a head on collision I believe most of the newer cars are supposed to have the engine "break away" and go under the car instead of into the passenger cabin.

• Like 1

I think if you had looked at the video you would have seen the over view of the crash. The engine compartment wasn't affected.
  • Like 1