2013 Escape - 1 touch power windows need more than 1 touch

RubyD

I have had my Escape for 5 weeks and I love it, but I have noticed that when closing the driver side front window, the one touch works when opening the window but doesn't work when closing the window.

I can live with this, but last night the window would only close half way. The first ten minutes of my drive last night was on local roads and I was traveling at 35 mph. After getting on the highway, I was able to close the window.

The air temp last night was 30 F - I'm wondering if the power window motor was cold and that's why once the car heated up the window was able to close? Or could it be because of the speed of the car - once I was on the highway I was able to close the window?

Thanks for any replies.

You mean holding the window button only allowed it to close half-way? Or it would only close half-way with one touch?

One touch won't close it if it senses an obstruction of some kind so ice could do that. But you should be able to override it by holding the button. If it still wouldn't close then either something was actually stopping it (like ice) or the switch is bad.

I can confirm that the one touch open and close works fine at -14 deg F.....as long as the windows have no ice on them.

If your windows are slow to move or the one touch function stops mid travel, please take your vehicle in for warranty service, there is a repairable problem.

If your vehicle is an "S" or "SE" it only has driver's down automatic window. The "SEL" and "Titanium" have automatic up and down on all 4 windows.

Sounds like you are having a seperate issue with the driver's window not going up. Were you holding the button up? If so, it could have been frozen by ice and released with movement of the vehicle. The windows will work regardless of vehicle speed.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a SE. I was holding the button to try and raise the window. The window would slowly raise half way and then stop. It finally closed all of the way after running the car for 10 minutes. There was not any ice on the car.

I agree with rk2112 above - the windows seem slow to close since I've had the car. Opening the windows seems quick enough though.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a SE. I was holding the button to try and raise the window. The window would slowly raise half way and then stop. It finally closed all of the way after running the car for 10 minutes. There was not any ice on the car.

I agree with rk2112 above - the windows seem slow to close since I've had the car. Opening the windows seems quick enough though.

Definitely a defect of some kind. Sounds like the motor is too weak. My guess is a bad wiring connection. When it heats up it makes better contact.

I have been experiencing this same issue. I know there was no ice cause car was parked in garage. Only happens when its cold out. Mine goes down fast enough. Going up is really slow and once actually stopped half way up. Stopped there until I grabbed it and pulled on it to get it started again and then it finished going up. When its warmer out, goes up and down at same speed. Kind of weird. Will report it when I go in for first oil change or if it gets worse before then.

When it's warm out and the windows are operating normally, try running the windows up and down a good 20 times. Make sure there's no bad contacts on the windings of the motors.

In the old days, my old Grand Marquis used to do that on the other three windows. Just wouldn't go. So once I year, I ran those window motors until they'd get hot (I assume). Then they'd work fine all year.

Lars01 - I don't think it's ice either, I think it has to do with how cold it is. When I had the problem it was 30 degrees. Today I went to the bank's drive up window and totally forgot about the window. It's 45 here today and I had no problem raising the window. I think it might not be easy to fix because by the time you get it to the dealer the motor would probably be warmed up enough and the window would probably go up normally.

I would be careful though and maybe not pull the window up by hand. I had a 2003 VW Jetta that had the same problem (I think it turned out to be recalled for it) and I had pulled up the window by hand - the next time I opened the window it went off track and broke apart. I have 4000 miles before I go in for an oil change - report back here when you go back to the dealer.

92merc - I will try your suggestion when it gets warm (can't wait!)