Yahoo article on the MKZ and Fusion lane keeping system!!

chuckokie36

Go to this link.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/2013-lincoln-mkz-drives-itself-motoramic-tv-163320831.html

How the 2013 Lincoln MKZ drives itself: Motoramic TV

The MKZ (and its Ford cousin, the Fusion) use a new system called Lane Keeper that literally steers the car down the road. A forward-looking camera mounted in the windshield mirror assembly reads lane markings and, if it determines you’re about to drift out of your lane, steers the car back toward the center of the lane.

Edited by chuckokie36
  • Like 1

I have it on mine and it most certainly works. I usually don't turn it on unless I'm on the highway (doesn't work under 40/45 anyways) and it has been pretty handy. Sometimes I have to take my eyes off the road for a second to change a setting on MFT and it does it's job perfect.

My favorite "driver assist" feature has to be the blind spot monitor though. It's comforting knowing my fusion is double checking for me ;)

• Like 1

I thought the intent of the system wasn't to automatically correct for lane drifting but rather to alert you when you cross a lane marker without signaling. If it was in fact keeping the car in the lane automatically, it would always monitor the lane markings and make the proper adjustment without the alert sound going off. The way this guy was testing it, the alert was going off constantly because he was intentionally allowing it to drift. It seems like it wouldn't take much adjusting for it to function more like cruise control, but it's not quite there yet.

I've driven a Fusion with the lane keep over a weekend when I was in North Carolina. It will keep you in your lane without any beeps. I set active cruise and lane keep then joked about the car driving itself. In actuality it was driving itself, it's is so freaking cool, once you see it you will for sure get those options!

I've driven a Fusion with the lane keep over a weekend when I was in North Carolina. It will keep you in your lane without any beeps. I set active cruise and lane keep then joked about the car driving itself. In actuality it was driving itself, it's is so freaking cool, once you see it you will for sure get those options!

Yeah it doesn't beep at all but if you remove your hands from the wheel for an extended amount of time it will chime an alert and tell you to keep your hands on the wheels. It does drive itself, its really cool.

I think the driver assist package is great value for $1000 bucks, I felt like I got a decent amount of features with it and recommend it.

Yeah it doesn't beep at all but if you remove your hands from the wheel for an extended amount of time it will chime an alert and tell you to keep your hands on the wheels. It does drive itself, its really cool.

I think the driver assist package is great value for $1000 bucks, I felt like I got a decent amount of features with it and recommend it.

So far I think the funniest is the driver alert monitor (the coffee cup thing). Had adaptive cruise on a trip, traffic was causing speed ups & downs - it would seem the computer views this as being tired....................my first thought was "well there car you're doing most of the driving why are you telling me I need a break" :)

• Like 1

Now I'm wishing I would have gotten the ACC.....but I am still excited about my driver assist package

I kind of have the same sentiments. For Active Park Assist, too. When I ordered mine, I was thinking the ACC and APA were a waste of money and I'd never use them (you know, because I know how to parallel park on my own, and I can manage my own speed...I don't need the car to do it for me). But now, I think I've accepted that those options aren't necessarily only for people that are lazy or don't want to learn how to parallel park...it's only a matter of time before all cars have these features.

• Like 1