Paint Sealants - protecting finish

elle

The first thing I want to do when I get my car is something to protect the finish. I'm reading up on paint sealants and will probably use something like this. Any suggestions from my knowledgeable Blue Oval buds? Experiences and opinions, both good and bad, welcome. How do you plan to protect your Fusion's finish?

Personally I don't think it's worth the money for an additional sealant, I would just use a good wax (I bought some Maguiars for the last car and liked it) each Spring and Fall, but that's just me and is what I will be doing.

I agree.

I had a dealer installed sealant on my 2007 Prius, I could not tell the difference between that and just a good waxing.

Sealants typically last longer than waxes but it really just comes down to personal preference and how often you want to apply it.

There are dozens of good sites on detailing if you want to get into the gory details (pun intended) but be aware for some it's a religion.

I had the dealer do the sealant on my focus 1 yr ago. seagull got me and It went unnoticed for about a week as I usually wash it on the weekends. I soaked it with a wet rag several times trying to soften which worked really well. But the stain was there anyway. Seems like it discolored the paint. Made it darker. I'm gonna stay with the old carnuba.

The first thing I want to do when I get my car is something to protect the finish. I'm reading up on paint sealants and will probably use something like this. Any suggestions from my knowledgeable Blue Oval buds? Experiences and opinions, both good and bad, welcome. How do you plan to protect your Fusion's finish?

I had a paint sealant (Cilajet, specifically) applied to my new Fusion. First time user, so no idea how it's going to turn out in the long run (presumably you only need to reapply every 5 years). For all of the first 10 days, it's working as advertised...

In the past and in our other cars, I've done as Jeff describes.

Even the best sealants only last a year or less.
It could well be. I decided to try this time partially as an experiment and learning (funny thing is that the dealer didn't even try to sell me, he was done with me when I asked about it).

I like the way it looks and washes right now.

If it happens to need reapplication yearly, it will depend if I still like the car that much by then.

But if I do, my wife might get jealous :-)

Water beads up on my Fusion now, and I havn't put anything on it yet. I try and wash once a week, but wax? I've only done one car in the past 10 or 20 years. "Paint Sealants" as sold by dealers are mostly a high-profit item to benefit the dealer, not a relevant investment for the owner. Elle, keep your Kash for more important things.

There are dozens of good sites on detailing if you want to get into the gory details (pun intended) but be aware for some it's a religion.

Yep, but on the bright side it's better than many other religions :)

On the serious side - as mentioned sealants generally last longer but the key whatever you choose is to protect the paint & interior on a regular basis. I happen to like the Poor Boys World line of products. Not terribly expensive & have proven to be very good.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Poorboys-World-M1/Polish-with-Sealant-P25/16-oz-S1/

A one step product that will seal & clean a bit - lasts 3 - 4 months. I also like Poor Boys Natty Blue - a carnauba in the budget catagory, lasts about 5 months here in Va (UV is the primary destroyer of carnauba). The Wheel Sealant also works well, makes getting the brake dust off easier.

It comes down to tolerance - I won't spend $100 on a women's makeup sized carnauba tin nor will I use most of the rubbish found @ your local Autozone........it's your comfort level.

I will proffer a few bits of advice, learned it over the years

1. Don't cheap out on the towels - good microfiber towels are great, cheap ones leave micro-swirls which are really visible on dark colors

2. Try to do a good clay of the paint twice a year, you be amazed at the crap that gets into your paint.

3. The interior & various seals are important, don't forget to care for them.

Not a huge fan of brand recommendation (there are many good ones) but One Step No Rinse wash works - it is truly amazing. Sounds like hype but over 5 years I can say it works as advertised. Search for ONR & "two bucket wash". Why do I like it so much? Simple, two buckets beat dragging out a hose = it's easy which means it's more likely to get done.

Sealants typically last longer than waxes but it really just comes down to personal preference and how often you want to apply it.

That is definitely true. I've never tried a sealant but I'm really happy with what I use. It's a little pricey up front, but it lasts a really long time. It also gets better the more coats you put on it.

www.zainostore.com

I've been using this product for over a decade and I love it. I used to enter my Camaro Z28 into car shows and always got great remarks on the paint, even though it was just the factory paint. Most people thought it was a professional job because of how nice the finish looked.

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Here's a follow-up question. Suppose someone who is really busy (but not too busy to post on the internet) lives near this place and wants to take their car in periodically for cleaning. What would make sense? "The Pavilion" four times a year? The custom hand wax a couple times a year? Some combination of things?

Here's the link. http://www.pavilioncarcare.com/docs/pavilion-services-tri-fold.pdf

Edited by elle

And to add from someone who managed a car wash when I was in school......go by & check them out, especially the exit area. See what they do with drying towels.....laid anywhere? No washing machine nearby? (dirty) Tossed in a washer or tub after a car or two? (good) Check the wash, see suds? More is better = lubrication. Generally check the level of care, easy to tell - sloppy is bad.

Don't pay for the spray on wax - does little, big $$$$ maker. Charge a bit & squirt a couple pennies of wax. The hand wax should be good.....again if you can just watch one being done. Same, towels clean? Care?

So okay.........as akirby pointed out I might have issues............I never take the dealers free washes - I've seen how they handle towels & sponges (they pick up dirt & they'll scratch)

But really I'm not as bad as some......I wash often but a complete wash -> clay -> correct -> seal - > wax (a full day) only happens twice a year :)

Edited by Bailey151

I do everything myself, I don't trust anyone. I once made the mistake of taking a new car to an automatic carwash, with huge stiff plastic rotating brushes...when it came out, the whole car was covered with swirling scratches. I believed the sign that said "soft touch".

I use one with the soft undulating cloth strips and copious amounts of soapy water and pre-sprays. Never had a swirl mark and there is a million dollar plus subdivision nearby so I see all sorts of expensive cars including black MBs. It all depends on the equipment.

I use one with the soft undulating cloth strips and copious amounts of soapy water and pre-sprays. Never had a swirl mark and there is a million dollar plus subdivision nearby so I see all sorts of expensive cars including black MBs. It all depends on the equipment.

True, but as a general rule I don't take my car through automated car washes, ever. I only trust myself to do it correctly, and that holds even more now that I have a brand new car. I wouldn't even take my 11 year old Audi through an automatic car wash.

I take my Prius to Pavilion and they do an excellent job. I don't think I'd take it anywhere else. Wish I had the time and energy to take care of it all myself but if I went that way it would end up being one more thing that never gets done :)