Navigation location (Updated)

Guest RRF985

Has anyone else had problems with their Nav system showing their location? Mine gets off quite a bit and shows me traveling down the wrong streets every now and then. Time for a trip to the dealer I guess.

Edited by RRF985

I heard of others having this issue, showing the car maybe 50-100yds off of where it currently is. Most concerns I've heard are that it places the vehicle on services drives parallel to freeways quite often and really confuses the route guidance.

That being said, I haven't had those sorts of issues with my nav unit. The issues I have had, though, have come after the v3.5.1 update, and sometimes on starting my vehicle the system won't properly load the nav maps in. I have to eject the SD card and reinsert it and then it picks it up. This happens maybe twice a week.

Finally! I thought I was taking crazy pills. Yeah, I've paid $800+ for an option that doesn't work 70% of the time. It guides you correctly for the first few feet, then it totally can't pick up your location anymore and the navigation then annoyingly keeps changing the routes to "get you back on the route", even when you are on the route. It's gotten so bad I've just defaulted to using Google Maps on the smartphone to look for directions. I normally wouldn't care, but if you paid for the option, it really should work. I took it to the dealer before on the problem and he said the fix would to do a software update, which if I'm correct, was basically the v3.5.1 update, since I also got the A4 navigation SD card from the dealer too. Well, the update hasn't really fixed the problem. I'd be really curious what other people have experienced and if they have found a solution that has worked yet.

I shouldn't have said anything about not happening to me, cuz today for about 3-5mi the nav on my car did exactly what's been described. It was right after going under an overpass, so many it temporarily losing the satellites had something to do with it? It wasn't confused for very long, but it did happen.

I much prefer Tom Tom or Apple maps navigation to what I bought in my FFH. I wish either or both of these could be tied into the MFT system and use the cars GPS and the graphics from the iPhone5 displayed on the car's screen.

Apple maps has its flaws but so far not in any of the places I navigate in.

Edited by Iggnutts

My wife and I have been house shopping for the last few weeks, so I've been using the nav system extensively and haven't had any major issues. It has not had any trouble knowing where the car is and keeping us on route while driving. The only problems I've had seem to be MFT or user related - once I could not get the map to load, but I was also having trouble with the phone and entertainment sections as well. I turned off the car and restarted it and the issue cleared up. Another time it didn't want to go out of waypoint mode, but I think that was my fault.

The "Send to Car" app for Android has been extremely helpful as well. I love being able to send a destination (or have my wife send one) to the car in advance, so all i have to do is dial Sync services to download the destination. It usually takes less than a minute.

I prefer the conversational method with Siri on iOS. "How do I get to the nearest Outback Steakhouse.?" My destination is set in 10 seconds. On MFT it's a fight with a Siri sound a like in command mode. "Navigation." No not Bluetooth audio. "Navigation". "Address." No, not fm! "Navigation!" "What can I say?" ...

I prefer the conversational method with Siri on iOS. "How do I get to the nearest Outback Steakhouse.?" My destination is set in 10 seconds. On MFT it's a fight with a Siri sound a like in command mode. "Navigation." No not Bluetooth audio. "Navigation". "Address." No, not fm! "Navigation!" "What can I say?" ...

Agreed, trying to use navigation with MFT voice commands is a nightmare. I even say give me directions home and it doesn't work...

Agreed, trying to use navigation with MFT voice commands is a nightmare. I even say give me directions home and it doesn't work...

I agree it can be confusing, but it's better than some I've encountered - especially for the phone (you should see Hyundai's). Like many voice command interfaces it's very specific. I've had to refer to the manual more than once.

Home is "set destination home"............which must be programmed in advance. What I find annoying/useless is the fact you can't scroll through the phone book & then directly set an address as a destination.

I do like the ability to speak the entire destination in one shot - "set destination 12 West Street Somwhere Virginia", that's better than many.

RRF -- what dealer are you using in Harrisburg? I'm in Mechanicsburg.

I'm curious to hear about your mileage, since we live in the same area.

L.B. Smith Ford in Lemoyne.

If you are speaking of gas mileage, I'm showing an average of 21.4mpg on the car's display with mixed city/highway/idling. I've only filled the tank once though. 380 miles on the car.

Has anyone else had problems with their Nav system showing their location? Mine gets off quite a bit and shows me traveling down the wrong streets every now and then. Time for a trip to the dealer I guess.

This has only happened to me once, and that was driving thru the mean streets of Philadelphia. It had me driving through buildings parallel to the actual street I was on. But, I think that's to be expected in an area where SatNav reception probably isn't so great. I've used the nav a number of times since, and haven't had any issues with it, outside of the occasional loss of signal which will quickly correct itself once it gets picked up again.

I'd definitely take it to the dealer for sure. Could be an antenna problem, rather than a nav problem.

On another thread, someone showed their aftermarket shark fin antenna, which looks really really good, and said it didn't hurt radio reception.

What antenna is used for the SatNav signal? Is it the same little whip? Does anyone have expeience with replacing the whip antenna with the shark fin and seeing SatNav reception be affected?

I really want to swap in the shark fin, but it is better to work good than to look good.

Just an update for anyone interested in this as it progresses. I took the car in today, or tried to rather. A power pole by the dealer caught on fire and there is no power on that side of town. All of today's appointments must be rescheduled. I have tried calling but the power is still out and with work coming up for me, I'm probably not going to be able to get the car in for a couple weeks. As soon as I can get it in and find something out I will update this thread.

Ok another update for any that care. I got my car in today and basically there is nothing they can do as I figured it would be. Apparently Ford knows about the issue though.

Here is what was written on my report I got from the dealer:

Road test and check operation of system. Cannot verify at this time. Contacted Hotline. Engineering is aware of this concern and is investigating it. As of this date they have not determined any repair procedure. There are no further updates either at this time.

So there you have it. Hopefully in the next update this will be solved.