19" H-Spoke wheels on Hybrid Titanium?

Former Expedition owner

I have a Hybrid Titanium on order.

I'd like to have the 19" H-Spoke wheels on my HyTi, however you can not add it to your HyTi build on Ford.com.

19inchHspoke_zps6f5b42a5.jpg

Is there a physical/mechanical reason why these are not offered on the Hybrids?

Can the dealer order and install these on my HyTi? I just really don't like the 18" Polished Aluminum wheels that come standard on the HyTi.

18inchpolishedalum_zpsa76d3173.jpg

Assumiing the dealership is able to get the 19" H-Spokes (for a price, of course), would the dealer be able to re-calibrate the speedometer, odometer, etc. for the larger wheels?

• Like 1

There is no difference in circumference - the tire is still the same diameter - only the wheel is bigger. And yes you can swap them (for about $3K including new tires). I contemplated doing that myself but decided to get a Titanium instead with the H spokes and couldn't be happier.

It's not possible to use the same tires on different size rims is it? i.e. 18" tires on 19" rims...

Nope, definitely not. Different sidewall heights or widths can be used on the same size wheel/tire combo, though. Tire width will depend on the width of the wheel, of course, and sidewall height will depend on the wheel well it'll be mounted in.

akirby just meant that from the factory, the outer diameter of the tires used on any Fusion wheels (16"/17"/18"/19") will match regardless of the wheel size, because Ford has picked the right size tire to make that happen. Smaller wheels get taller sidewalls on the tires, while larger wheels have lower sidewalls.

I could not find a Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tire in a 235/40 R19 on TireRack. Anyone know if they are even manufactured in this size?

I don't think so. I've looked around and there are very few tires of any kind offered in that size. I imagine it will be a year or two before a decent variety of tires is available.

Wow, that's a steal for those. From the dealer you'd be looking at $600 per rim alone.

It's not a bad deal considering how infrequently they show up. I think i paid $1400 for mine including tires, tpms, balancing, and shipping. I noticed the same seller also has them listed on Ebay for $799 plus $99 shipping.

I'm wondering what the MPG difference would be with the 19's and non-LRR tires?

Also, are the stock hybrid tires rated for a heavier load?

I'm guessing at least 2 mpg on the non hybrids - more like 5 mpg on the hybrids but that's just a guess.

I lost 2 mpg on my old Fusion just by changing from Michelins (OEM) to stickier BFG super sports.

Thanks. That must be in his signature? I usually use the forum iPad app, which does not show the signatures. I was hoping Cheesy put his rims on a hybrid so he can tell me how it affected his gas mileage.

Gotcha. Not his signature, but the info displayed under his name along with the location.

Thanks. That must be in his signature? I usually use the forum iPad app, which does not show the signatures. I was hoping Cheesy put his rims on a hybrid so he can tell me how it affected his gas mileage.

No hybrid here. It's my actually my wife's car and she refuses to buy an automatic. She loves a good stick! Anyways, I haven't put the 19" wheels on yet. I'm waiting until spring. I've had bad luck in the past with low profile Continentals and Minnesota potholes. When I do put them on, I'm going weigh them to see how much heavier they are than the stock 17s and I'll report on how much the mileage goes down.

Edited by CheesyRider

• 3 weeks later...

If the overall diameter stays the same by using a smaller sidewall tire, how would switching to a larger wheel affect MPG? I assume a wider tire would increase rolling resistance and therefore decrease MPG. I also assume a heavier wheel/tire combo would reduce MPG by increasing unsprung weight and rotational mass. So....if overall diameter stays the same, tire width stays the same, and wheel/tire combined weight stays the same, wouldn't 17" wheels get the same MPG as 19" wheels?

If I'm not mistaken the MKZ hybrid offers 19" wheel on it and gets 45/45/45. So expected reduced mileage and efficiency with your car. If there is anything mileage or efficiency-wise wrong with the car, should you take it in, the first thing they'll point out is the larger wheels. Be ready for that.

See if your dealer can do a $695 add on to your order. If not, look to buy fresh take offs from other Titanium owners.

Larger wheels have more mass and add more weight. The only way to overcome this is to have specially made wheels that are typically forged (aftermarket wheels) which adds considerably more cost. Also expect a harsher ride with the 19s (smaller sidewall tires). You will feel more bumps and such from the road. 19in tires are more expensive. Expect to pay $250+ per tire for new tires.

Otherwise do it. Your car will look pretty damn sweet and definitely not look like a hybrid! I was considering this as well since those 18" Standard Titanium wheels in my opinion look terrible. Not to mention will be difficult to clean. Either that or roll with the 18" SE luxury wheels (black or silver) or the SE sport wheels.

My advice: Keep your 18s and use those in the winter. Use the set of 19s for the summer.

Edited by HenryVIII

So....if overall diameter stays the same, tire width stays the same, and wheel/tire combined weight stays the same, wouldn't 17" wheels get the same MPG as 19" wheels?

Only if the TIRES were exactly the same. I can tell you the 19" factory tires are not low rolling resistance and that can also make a significant difference.

The Lincoln MKZ Hybrid has the following rims available as an option:

19" Polished Aluminum Wheels with Painted Pockets

1e72c1e09cc9db83fb7a0f17346d1350.jpg

These rims are only available with the "Hybrid Preferred" package and include size P245/40R19 tires. This package adds $6530 to the price of the MKZ.

Of interest is that the Lincoln Hybrid's 19" rims come with Michelin Primacy MXM4 low rolling resistance tires.

The 235/40 R19 size tires included on the Fusion Titanium's 19" H-Spoke rims are not low rolling resistance tires. According to Tire Rack, there is only one model of LRR tires made at the 235/40 R19 size and they are the "performance winter/snow" Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 N-Spec model. There are currently no "all-season" LRR tires for the 19" H-Spoke rims.

Nope, definitely not. Different sidewall heights or widths can be used on the same size wheel/tire combo, though. Tire width will depend on the width of the wheel, of course, and sidewall height will depend on the wheel well it'll be mounted in.

akirby just meant that from the factory, the outer diameter of the tires used on any Fusion wheels (16"/17"/18"/19") will match regardless of the wheel size, because Ford has picked the right size tire to make that happen. Smaller wheels get taller sidewalls on the tires, while larger wheels have lower sidewalls.

This should be true, but I measured the height of the factory 16" wheel/tire combo and it is shorter than the factory18" wheel/tire combo for two cars that were parked together on dealer lot.