2.0t Cold air intake?

twiztedsix

au contrare. I put a cold air intake (JLT) on my Mustang, and it made a massive difference in power and quality of sound. It wasn't just my imagination, these things are dyno tested to add about 30 hp on the Cobra. But the Cobra is probably a best-case scenario. On the Fusion 2 liter, I would guess 5-10 hp. If one becomes available, I would probably put one on. But I also find that with the FWD, the steering becomes squirrly at full-throttle from a stop, so that would only intensify. And I would probably appreciate more engine growl, but at the same time, the car is so quiet, so relaxing to drive, that my boy-racer instincts are subdued.

When I had the car on order, I was thinking about making a cabin-sound enhancement device, where a tube is routed from the intake tract to the cabin, and the cabin end has a diaphragm. Now, I'm not too worried about it. But see that kink in the intake tube between the air-box and the throttle body? That has always bothered me, it's not on the 1.6. I would like to fix that.post-48691-0-14539700-1363576112_thumb.jpg But I feel a c.a.i. would enhance my experience.

au contrare. I put a cold air intake (JLT) on my Mustang, and it made a massive difference in power and quality of sound. It wasn't just my imagination, these things are dyno tested to add about 30 hp on the Cobra. But the Cobra is probably a best-case scenario. On the Fusion 2 liter, I would guess 5-10 hp. If one becomes available, I would probably put one on. But I also find that with the FWD, the steering becomes squirrly at full-throttle from a stop, so that would only intensify. And I would probably appreciate more engine growl, but at the same time, the car is so quiet, so relaxing to drive, that my boy-racer instincts are subdued.

When I had the car on order, I was thinking about making a cabin-sound enhancement device, where a tube is routed from the intake tract to the cabin, and the cabin end has a diaphragm. Now, I'm not too worried about it. But see that kink in the intake tube between the air-box and the throttle body? That has always bothered me, it's not on the 1.6. I would like to fix that.attachicon.gif2 liter turbo.jpg But I feel a c.a.i. would enhance my experience.

An intake doesn't make nearly as much of a difference on a turbo engine compared to a NA engine or even a supercharged engine. The turbo is going to heat the air considerably (thus the intercooler to cool it back down) so getting colder air to the turbo is going to make only a very minor difference. As for increased air flow that can help a little bit, but you would do the same just getting a better panel filter to go in the stock box.

The biggest difference is going to be sound. OEM's go through a good amount of effort to get rid of any hint of turbo sound. That's why the stock air box generally has all sorts of baffles and random tubes, it's tuned to make the least sound possible. Replacing that gives you the raw sound of the turbo (which I much prefer).

• Like 1

I can see that the turbo would just spin faster to get to the desired level of boost even if there were all kinds of intake restriction. But I feel a new intake designed for air flow would make the engine more responsive, plus at least it would look better and sound better. The air temperature pre-turbo would actually be the same, as the stock intake pulls the air from in front of the radiator.

But see that kink in the intake tube between the air-box and the throttle body?

Just to be clear, the throttle body isn't pre-turbo, it's after the intercooler and just before the intake manifold. The air is piped from the airbox into the turbo on the backside of the engine, then goes under the engine and toward the front of the car. From there, it goes through the intercooler, then finally is piped through the throttle body into the intake manifold on the front side of the engine.

OEM's go through a good amount of effort to get rid of any hint of turbo sound. That's why the stock air box generally has all sorts of baffles and random tubes, it's tuned to make the least sound possible.

You'll also notice that there are all sorts of insulating pads and sound dampening measures employed around the engine compartment. One example of this is the foam insulation pad on the underside of the hood. It's really only there for sound dampening - the hood sealing strips and grommets are all attached separately. I removed this pad from the underside of my hood and you can hear a bit more of everything that's going on under there (although the difference is pretty subtle), including the turbo. It's nice to have the pad there to keep the DI injector racket down, but it's really not that obnoxious without it and you can hear the intake/turbo a bit better, so I'll probably leave it off for a while.

• 9 months later...