Dealer "etching" fee - $399+tax

47Minutes

I'm hoping for some quick feedback from the community...

I'm going to my dealer tonight to finalize paperwork on my Energi Ti. In reviewing the drive off cost and what fees are in it the dealer mentioned $399 for an "etching" fee. I understand this to be a "theft deterrent" by having the glass and, I guess, some other parts etched with the VIN.

I'm really on the fence about whether this is necessary. It is completely optional. It just makes me think of the old dealer added undercoating. Anyone else run into this or something similar and what are your thoughts about paying to have this done?

Many thanks!

I'll stop short of calling it a "scam" as it theoretically has SOME miniscule value as a theft deterrent.

However, $399 is rediculous.

It is similar to $200 pinstripes (dealer gets charged maybe 20-40 bucks for these).

paint "protectants" or "coatings" or "sealers" and other crap like that they sell you just to make some extra money.

i'd skip it. if you are concerned about theft protection, spend the money on a Lojak.

just my .02

I would agree - just so overpriced for what it is - especially on the window glass. What are the chances of that being stolen and not broken as it is taken. I refuse to pay the dealer for a single add on. If for no other reason - the mark up in the is sometimes several hundred percent. Finance people hate me, but I tell em up front - I need to know what the car costs and they can save us both a bunch of time if we get right to the bottom line without the fluff. I will back off that for just a little and say I might at least price the extended warranty, but I've never bought it.

VW even tried selling tires for life - you pay up front. What more can they try to sell.

From what I understand, in many states the dealership cannot charge you for it, even if they've already done the etching, unless you agree to pay for it. If the dealer insists, go find another dealer.

You are correct. I bought my 2010 Fusion as a dealer trade. It had pinstriping and etched glass. I told my dealer that I would not pay for it.