clicking noise when braking and accelerating

broncosCA

I usually drive with the windows up because the weather had been sporadic. It's gotten nice lately, so I've been cruising with the windows down, and I noticed a clicking noise when I start braking, and then again when I start accelerating. I assume it's the regenerative breaking system going into effect, and then disengaging.

Is the loud, audible CLICK sound normal?

Interesting. Thanks for the link. I'm really wondering if it's something that needs to be addressed.

Hopefully some of the other members on here can confirm if they have the CLICK/CRACK sound when they accelerate and brake. Actually, if they can confirm they don't have it either, that my help me figure out just how widespread the problem is.

I am pretty sure this is just a Hybrid issue when accelerating from a stop and decelerating to a stop in EV mode. I have an appt for an oil change, tire rotation, and to have them look at the issue 2 saturdays from now.

Edited by lmp180psu

Uh-o I have the click too... It has nothing to do with the hybrid system. Here is what I know so far:

- It happens on both the right and left side of the vehicle - one side after another

- It happens if you stay in EV or not

- It feels related to the G forces the car encounters during acceleration and deceleration, as if something is loose

Anyone else experiencing this issue? It really sounds like a bad noise, like something that is seated (like the engine) it moving back and forth in its mount.

According to the other forum - the guy there took it in, and it's currently a 'known issue' with Ford. They told their service department not to do anything further with the car until they determine what the fix is.

Have you or anyone else also seen their service Dept? Mine is 25 KM away and really don't want to drive their if they're not going to do anything about it as Ford has not issued a fix yet.

Edit - After driving and listening to it a little more it does sound quite bad. Its like a hard click or crack. Happens multiple times and has me worried about the reliability of the car. I will call the service department on Monday.

Edited by expresspotato

I hear this sound too. As best I can tell, the sound is from relays under the hood. Relays are electronic switches that route power to where it is needed, and are an essential part of the hybrid drive system. Given the high voltage and current necessary to propel a 3,600 pound vehicle, these switches would need to close with a certain amount of violence to avoid arcing, which would slowly burn off the contacts and make the switch unreliable.

In my experience, relays can be pretty loud. These aren't; they are relatively quiet given the job they have to do. In fact, my 2013 FFH is the quietest car I have ever owned, better even than a prior 2008 Camry Hybrid. So quiet that I can hear some stray clicks coming from under the hood, complaints about which seem frivolous given the context.

• 2 months later...

Okay, the TSB 13-5-24 is done. On my drive home I drove through quiet streets with air and radio off, windows down. It was very quiet and seemed smoother (probably wishful thinking). No noise and I really tried to repeat the conditions I'm so used to hearing. I'll report back in a few weeks after getting some miles on the car.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

My 2012 Fusion makes a clicking noise from the brakes when it is going forward or reverse.

My Ford service advisor said that Ford knows about it, but they are not fixing it.

He said his Ford truck did the same thing, and nothing fixes it.

I bought this car new in 2012 and the noise is irritating to say the least.

I also own a 2013 Fusion and it does not have this issue.

Can anyone help with this?