MFT turns off.... while driving!

broncosCA

I'm really starting to get fed up with this annoying little quirks in the car. I love my car. But there's just so many glitches in its tech and QA that it's really beginning to annoy me.

The most recent was as I was driving - on the freeway - my MFT screen went blank. I couldn't do anything on it, but I could still hear my music playing. Then the screen turned off completely and the music shut off. Next thing you know I get a 'SYNC' logo, and it says it's performing scheduled maintenance!

It took several minutes to re-boot. I can't even imagine if I had been in a strange place and was relying on the nav. Or in the middle of an important phone call.

I did pull out my cell phone and record it to document it. I have the video, and I'll upload that to YT soon. Unbelievable.

The most recent was as I was driving - on the freeway - my MFT screen went blank. I couldn't do anything on it, but I could still hear my music playing. Then the screen turned off completely and the music shut off. Next thing you know I get a 'SYNC' logo, and it says it's performing scheduled maintenance!

It took several minutes to re-boot. I can't even imagine if I had been in a strange place and was relying on the nav. Or in the middle of an important phone call.

Happened to me once. Has never (knock on wood) happened again.

I get that it needs to do that - but I would think it would do it when you first start your vehicle. Seems silly to do that in the middle of a drive, especially one at high speeds.

WTF does it have to do with "middle of a drive" - reality it impacts nothing, it's entirely separate from the operation of the car? Has zero impact on driving.

Happened to me once. Has never (knock on wood) happened again.

Yep

WTF does it have to do with "middle of a drive" - reality it impacts nothing, it's entirely separate from the operation of the car? Has zero impact on driving.

Yep

Happened to me too in February, twice, on a drive home from Florida to Ontario, Canada. I was using the Nav system at the time, and the 2nd time it quit, I was going through DC, closing in on a giant interstate exit/entrance. Fortunately I had my Garmin GPS on as well, and it got me through that! So I guess that would be the issue if it shuts off when you're using your Nav on a highway. I called Ford when I got back, and they just suggested a master reset. I did that, and it hasn't happened since (though it's only been a month and a half, so it could happen again, who knows?).

• 2 weeks later...

I've owned mine for only a month and it has happened twice already. The first time it happened I was using NAV and the NAV screen froze up and I missed a turn. I had to pull over and wait for my car to start working again. I brought the car to my dealer and, like a poster said above, they said this is normal. If this is normal then no amount of warranty or extended warranty will offer anybody any comfort.

Mine has also done it once, but not since I performed a master reset. I would encourage those that are having issues to try that out and see if it improves your situation. It is a computer like anything else and it is susceptible to crashes (plus it runs Microsoft, need I say more?).