Took my first test drive...hmmmm

Bearcats98

I notice that the instant gauge is "slow" to respond. Whether it be the true mileage or just a "smoother" presentation I don't know. My Sonata (only reference point) is much more "quick". When I get out of the gas the sonata after a second or two will be buried to full efficiency. The Fusion TiFWD I drove didn't.

No boost gauge. :( Would liked to have had that in conjunction with the instant fuel gauge. Also its either or on the left screen for Tac/Fuel efficiency. While in an auto tac is almost meaningless...would have rather had additional car management screen on left and the right in dash versus having media crap on the right. That huge screen in the middle is good enough for media stuff. :D

Brakes. Wow...love them L-O-V-E them. Reminds me of my Maxima after my brake upgrade. Sonata feels like a soggy sponge. Definitely a pleasant surprise.

SE has a 18" black gloss rim option. I saw them on another car in the lot and they were sharp. Of course those rims are not available in the Titanium versus...sigh.

Auto climate. The auto climate was on..AC was cold. I hit the AC button (lamp went out) but still blowing cold. Did the AC OFF/On/OFF and it was still cold. Outside temp was 76 so It wasnt just acting like a vent. So I turned it off completely and back on and then the AC shut off. Also noted a better instant gauge reaction too. So while I dont like it, its no different than other manufacturers...sadly.

Interior fit/finish. Not overly impressive in the pillar areas. Plastics were not snug and showed large gaps near the headliner and were not consistent in presentation from side to side. When I pushed on them they closed up considerably but nothing was there to hold them there. This was an no sunroof car and probably an earlier build as it had aluminum trimmed pedals and soft touch sunroof buttons. That was a huge turnoff.

Visibility is good. I could easily get my mirrors set up. I also like the snug feeling the drivers seat has. I drove the White Platinum TriCoat. I dont like white cars at all. At all. The color of this car really grew on me fast. I was shocked. I really want an Ingot Silver...but this might be a doable second...might even move to first.

I only goosed it once. Power does not seem to be a problem at all and would most likely make me smile. However right to the floor equal large sucking noise...LOL!

Overall it was ok. I might have built up a lot in my mind and was hoping for more of a wizbang experience. However 0% is until 07/08 so I have plenty of time to think and save.

I notice that the instant gauge is "slow" to respond. ......................................

Overall it was ok. I might have built up a lot in my mind and was hoping for more of a wizbang experience. However 0% is until 07/08 so I have plenty of time to think and save.

Instant gauge - I had that myself, used to a faster one.......was fun to go downhill & watch it tag well over 100mpg (TDI uses no fuel on zero throttle downhill). Works well enough though, gives a rough idea of fuel consumption

Left/right screens - not ideal but you get used to it, not certain if you discovered it but the right screen can be changed to a variety of functions (same as the center)

Brakes - some the best I've had on a passenger sedan. Really shows it's Euro heritage - driven many a German car over the years & the first thing I noticed on US/Japanese cars are the crappy brakes...........zero progression & little feel.

Climate control - well none of them are all that great, ramp the fan way up to get to temp as fast as possible & switch from heat to cool on small temp variances. It is a bit better than some, turn it on when it's real cold & it won't do anything until the car is a bit warm as there's no sense in blowing cold air. When defrost is picked it will blow some to clear the window but ramps up when warming up.

Fit & finish - I have no such issues, a couple of wrinkles in the headliner but no other issues (trunk, door seals, etc). Might have been a bad example. Was the headliner wrinkled? If it wasn't maybe the dealer botched the reinstall? Check some others.

White - now that's funny. Thanks for the chuckle - not a fan of white myself & almost ended up with one. The tri-coat is pretty.....up close, at a distance it just looks white. Came down to the $450 for the white - it was pretty, just not that pretty (that & they had my primary choice - ingot silver)

Power - as you said it's fine. Not designed to be a sports car. You can dump a fair bit of throttle @ 3K rpm = you'll get a smile when the torque shoves you back without such a massive hit to the fuel tank.

Whizbang - well it's not really designed for whiz bang, it's modeled after (it is actually) Euro aka German cars. It's supposed to be subdued. My wife summed it up best when we test drove it "wow, how Teutonic". Reminds me of the 1st time I drove a Merc......wow, this is a luxury car? (coming from American).......years later I learned that the German approach, understated - driving is business. Whizbang for the Fusion is how well it handles - supple but will remain flat in corners & then stop with great control (you'll note a couple review mags called it the best handling midsized sedan they've ever driven).

There are some oddities though - like the trunk can't open very well due to the sloped window. Piano black shiny plastic on the handles & around the cup holders....really? What were you thinking? Do we really need 6,212 buttons on the steering wheel? None of which allow direct access to changing presets. Dear Ford - the rear camera will get wet, if you set it back a bit maybe I could actually see something after driving in the rain. Also, yes I know there's frost on the front window & the camera is blocked, I scraped it off as best I could......stop nagging me about it, I have the defroster on.

No car is perfect..............well until they build one for me that I get to design :hysterical: Overall I'd say it's pretty good.

Edited by Bailey151

Instant gauge - I had that myself, used to a faster one.......was fun to go downhill & watch it tag well over 100mpg (TDI uses no fuel on zero throttle downhill). Works well enough though, gives a rough idea of fuel consumption

Left/right screens - not ideal but you get used to it, not certain if you discovered it but the right screen can be changed to a variety of functions (same as the center)

Brakes - some the best I've had on a passenger sedan. Really shows it's Euro heritage - driven many a German car over the years & the first thing I noticed on US/Japanese cars are the crappy brakes...........zero progression & little feel.

Climate control - well none of them are all that great, ramp the fan way up to get to temp as fast as possible & switch from heat to cool on small temp variances. It is a bit better than some, turn it on when it's real cold & it won't do anything until the car is a bit warm as there's no sense in blowing cold air. When defrost is picked it will blow some to clear the window but ramps up when warming up.

Fit & finish - I have no such issues, a couple of wrinkles in the headliner but no other issues (trunk, door seals, etc). Might have been a bad example. Was the headliner wrinkled? If it wasn't maybe the dealer botched the reinstall? Check some others.

White - now that's funny. Thanks for the chuckle - not a fan of white myself & almost ended up with one. The tri-coat is pretty.....up close, at a distance it just looks white. Came down to the $450 for the white - it was pretty, just not that pretty (that & they had my primary choice - ingot silver)

Power - as you said it's fine. Not designed to be a sports car. You can dump a fair bit of throttle @ 3K rpm = you'll get a smile when the torque shoves you back without such a massive hit to the fuel tank.

Whizbang - well it's not really designed for whiz bang, it's modeled after (it is actually) Euro aka German cars. It's supposed to be subdued. My wife summed it up best when we test drove it "wow, how Teutonic". Reminds me of the 1st time I drove a Merc......wow, this is a luxury car? (coming from American).......years later I learned that the German approach, understated - driving is business. Whizbang for the Fusion is how well it handles - supple but will remain flat in corners & then stop with great control (you'll note a couple review mags called it the best handling midsized sedan they've ever driven).

There are some oddities though - like the trunk can't open very well due to the sloped window. Piano black shiny plastic on the handles & around the cup holders....really? What were you thinking? Do we really need 6,212 buttons on the steering wheel? None of which allow direct access to changing presets. Dear Ford - the rear camera will get wet, if you set it back a bit maybe I could actually see something after driving in the rain. Also, yes I know there's frost on the front window & the camera is blocked, I scraped it off as best I could......stop nagging me about it, I have the defroster on.

No car is perfect..............well until they build one for me that I get to design :hysterical: Overall I'd say it's pretty good.

Gauge - Good to know. I was sorta thinking wow, given how the Sonata on acts and my mileage I was thinking...great this isn't going to be where I want it. I do however have my test drive mapped out for when I get closer!

I got to play a lot with the new explorer a year ago when I spent six weeks onsite for work. It seemed very similiar but the salesman wasn't overly interested in doing anything and acted as if he just wanted to get out. So I didn't get to play with the screens extensively. I wish you could do some of those things out of park but I understand why Ford doesn't though. Litigious society.

Yeah brakes were very nice.

I do like hearing it won't blow when cold. My Maxima did that. My Sonata doesn't do that very well or the temp ranges are screwed up. Either way they try to make it nice but I think manual control over the compressor is what I want really. If the weather is nice and I just want vent I dont want the car trying to make decisions too. But like we said, no manufacturer really gets this right.

Fit/Finish. It was a no sunroof which is opposite of what I thought most of those headliner issues showed up. I didn't see any wrinkles and the headliner fabric seemed tight. Obviously I was disappointed but if I was buying I would have skipped that car immediately.

What I meant by Wizbang was that I would be overwhelmed with all the features and fun stuff that I would have star glazed eyes. I think maybe all the time in the Explorere might have removed some of that "thats a cool feature" type of a thought process. Ride was nice but with a sales guy in there its hard to drive it closer to the edge. Don't want to be a Pepsi Maxx commercial! :drop:

As for the rear camera, my Sonata is the same way. When its wet it drips off the lens assembly and its hard to see so that wont be new to me...lol. When I kept it outside my routine was to walk around the back of the car and rub my thumb across it. Should have to do it but it worked for me.

Id didn't follow the last part of your quip about the nagging...is there a "warning message" that shows up on the screen?

I am making this thread as I had thought I researched the Sonata very well and almost three years later I am not happy with it. I am voicing my concerns talking it out with car people as while my wife said its ok, I get virtually no input from her because "its just a car, it needs to start and get me from point A to point B". :banghead:

I do like hearing it won't blow when cold. My Maxima did that. My Sonata doesn't do that very well or the temp ranges are screwed up. Either way they try to make it nice but I think manual control over the compressor is what I want really. If the weather is nice and I just want vent I dont want the car trying to make decisions too. But like we said, no manufacturer really gets this right.
As for the rear camera, my Sonata is the same way. When its wet it drips off the lens assembly and its hard to see so that wont be new to me...lol. When I kept it outside my routine was to walk around the back of the car and rub my thumb across it. Should have to do it but it worked for me.

Id didn't follow the last part of your quip about the nagging...is there a "warning message" that shows up on the screen?

I am making this thread as I had thought I researched the Sonata very well and almost three years later I am not happy with it. I am voicing my concerns talking it out with car people as while my wife said its ok, I get virtually no input from her because "its just a car, it needs to start and get me from point A to point B". :banghead:

Cold air - must be a Hyundai thing, my wife's Tuscon does it & it annoys me........get in & it starts blowing cold right away = "son of a _____ that's cold"

On the other hand her camera doesn't suffer the rain issue. Wiping it is fine.....except when I drive to work in the rain & now I can't see to back into the space (and getting out to do it would suck)

Nagging - yep, it will repeat every few minutes until the window (camera) is clear. You can ignore it, it's just a pop up window on the left side = hit okay to clear (a fwiw the "okay" isn't the easiest to hit with gloves on).

Same here, that's how my wife is "it's just a car".........................though when car shopping this time it came down to a Passat & the Fusion, she said the Passat was just "C..A..R car" (boring) & the Fusion looked real nice - go figure.

Haven't found anything major yet - the fuel tank, choice of wheels, trunk, piano black, etc - all quirks.................we'll see how it is in 3 or 4 years.

Edited by Bailey151

For what it's worth, the great driving dynamics of this car far outweigh the other quibbles I've had with it since purchasing it (almost all of which you guys have mentioned above). I have over 5000mi on it now, and I'm still excited to drive it every day, which really is saying something for a car coming from the (historically) most boring segment possible. Fit/finish and MFT teething are obvious concerns, but it's easy to look past them when you have a great driving experience. After all, that's what a car is designed to do, so it better excel at driving and road handing (IMO), and the rest is icing on the cake.

Also, I feel that even though this car may still have it's share of issues when it comes to fitment (luckily, my car doesn't), it's still leaps and bounds ahead of what Ford was offering even a couple years back. It's really on the border of being a luxury car when it's fitted out in Titanium trim.

Nagging - yep, it will repeat every few minutes until the window (camera) is clear. You can ignore it, it's just a pop up window on the left side = hit okay to clear (a fwiw the "okay" isn't the easiest to hit with gloves on).

Haven't found anything major yet - the fuel tank, choice of wheels, trunk, piano black, etc - all quirks.................we'll see how it is in 3 or 4 years.

Ah, have no intentions of getting any of the BLIS stuff. So I wont even have to worry about that! :yahoo: Yeah that cold air blowing is a HUGE turnoff on the Sonata. I have no idea why they can't figure that out. My 01 Nissan we smarter than that and ten years older....

Yeah, I have piano black everywhere on the sonata. You breath on it, it scratches. *sigh*

Trunk doesn't seem to worry me currently. Maybe when I am stacking luggage in it it might. Fuel tank is also something I am going to watch. Not being able to fill up the fuel tank all the way seems to be a really weird problem.

Another question: The Titanium has the ability to plug in visual media an play it on the center console screen? The brochure I have mentions media entertainment but building it on line and what I can find doesn't really describe what it does..?

Also, I feel that even though this car may still have it's share of issues when it comes to fitment (luckily, my car doesn't), it's still leaps and bounds ahead of what Ford was offering even a couple years back. It's really on the border of being a luxury car when it's fitted out in Titanium trim.

Fit and finish has a fairly large importance to me. I have fiddled around with my headliner in the sonata as the automated line that puts the hot glue down for the wires to sink into so they wont rattle missed. So most of the wires in the headliner are not totally secure and varying temps will cause them to tap which is beyond annoying right above my head. I dont want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

I can handle subtle misalignment if it doesn't rattle/squeek/make noise. However the example I drove yesterday was not subtle at all around the pillars.

Another question: The Titanium has the ability to plug in visual media an play it on the center console screen? The brochure I have mentions media entertainment but building it on line and what I can find doesn't really describe what it does..?

In the center armrest there is an AV in. It's just a composite (single yellow) video in, and I haven't used it, so I can't comment on the quality. It is available to all cars with MFT, and not a Titanium specific item.

In the center armrest there is an AV in. It's just a composite (single yellow) video in, and I haven't used it, so I can't comment on the quality. It is available to all cars with MFT, and not a Titanium specific item.

Seeing that the function will most likely only be available in park I cant really see why that function exists....

For what it's worth, the great driving dynamics of this car far outweigh the other quibbles I've had with it since purchasing it (almost all of which you guys have mentioned above). I have over 5000mi on it now, and I'm still excited to drive it every day, which really is saying something for a car coming from the (historically) most boring segment possible. Fit/finish and MFT teething are obvious concerns, but it's easy to look past them when you have a great driving experience. After all, that's what a car is designed to do, so it better excel at driving and road handing (IMO), and the rest is icing on the cake.

Absolutely - that's the mark of a good car (IMHO) when you look forward to driving it (even commuting)

Seeing that the function will most likely only be available in park I cant really see why that function exists....

Guess - just Ford walking the line between offering features & not being accused of aiding distracted driving. Much like many of the Sync features (news) are disabled when moving.

As with many vehicles - it all depends on your needs/wants. For the "a to b" person there may be better/cheaper/more practical choices. For the "I want to enjoy the drive" the Fusion is likely tops in it's class. Drove most all of the midsized sedans before purchase - Fusion is by far the best "drivers sedan".......at least until you move up to the Merc/Audi/BMW class (& the associated $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ )

Edited by Bailey151

Well, if it's an issue for you...http://www.coastaletech.com/mytouch.htm. That will unlock all the features while you are in drive. Probably will void your MFT warranty though.

Not really a concern. I would not be watching it while driving (as I am a driving guy and do like the ride) but we will use this as a trip car (MPG be damned) and was curious about the functionality. Most likely I will just get some cheapo off the headrest DVD players for the kids.

Absolutely - that's the mark of a good car (IMHO) when you look forward to driving it (even commuting)

Guess - just Ford walking the line between offering features & not being accused of aiding distracted driving. Much like many of the Sync features (news) are disabled when moving.

As with many vehicles - it all depends on your needs/wants. For the "a to b" person there may be better/cheaper/more practical choices. For the "I want to enjoy the drive" the Fusion is likely tops in it's class. Drove most all of the midsized sedans before purchase - Fusion is by far the best "drivers sedan".......at least until you move up to the Merc/Audi/BMW class (& the associated $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ )

Yeah, I dont like driving my Sonata. I want to avoid that whole process again.

I dont have $$$ (nor do I care for the image they project either) for a German engineered car. I am going to keep watching inventory in the area and scoping the Titaniums. Sometimes its just best to look at them all and when the one you like pops up...BUY IT! :rockon:

I have not been in the situation where I can casually buy a car so this is bit different. My current "deadline" is to get the 0% so 07/08/13. Lots of cars will cycle in that time frame...

Fit and finish has a fairly large importance to me. I have fiddled around with my headliner in the sonata as the automated line that puts the hot glue down for the wires to sink into so they wont rattle missed. So most of the wires in the headliner are not totally secure and varying temps will cause them to tap which is beyond annoying right above my head. I dont want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

I can handle subtle misalignment if it doesn't rattle/squeek/make noise. However the example I drove yesterday was not subtle at all around the pillars.

Yep rattles and vibrations drive me nuts as well. Just to give you some perspective on my comments above - I haven't had any rattles/vibrations come up with my car (yet), just have noticed some small misalignment here and there. These types of things are easy to overlook when the materials are high quality, the gaps and issues are "close enough" and the car is so great to drive.

Edited by bluspikez

The video won't work unless you are in Park. However, the audio ports (Red and White) will work no matter what gear you are in. Anyways, some food for thought.

............. These types of things are easy to overlook when the materials are high quality, the gaps and issues are "close enough" and the car is so great to drive.

And that the Fusion has - didn't notice so much until I was doing some interior detailing on mine & then went directly to my wife's Hyundai. Materials are much nicer in the Ford, all soft touch. Not that the Hyundai is bad (& it's the highest level trim) just the Ford is better.

And that the Fusion has - didn't notice so much until I was doing some interior detailing on mine & then went directly to my wife's Hyundai. Materials are much nicer in the Ford, all soft touch. Not that the Hyundai is bad (& it's the highest level trim) just the Ford is better.

Definitely - I had more or less taken it for granted (both from working with the materials nearly every day and now owning the car) until I sat in the direct competition at NAIAS in late January. As you mentioned, the Hyundai/Kia twins couldn't hold a torch to the Ford's materials, nor could the Mazdas, Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, etc. Chrysler and GM are starting to get it right, and of course the other more premium marks have already been there. Guess I'm a bit spoiled by my job and my car! :)

Yeah, I have piano black everywhere on the sonata. You breath on it, it scratches. *sigh*

Trunk doesn't seem to worry me currently.

The trunk opening is currently my worst complaint about the car. I have banged my head on it twice. I can say that I have "enjoyed every mile", but I have not "enjoyed every minute" -- the minutes after clopping my noggin were not enjoyable. The Fusion ought to have been a fastback like the A7. But that's my biggest complaint, and that's pretty minor; eventually I will learn not to stand up into the trunk lid.

I'd hate to see that pretty black plastic all scratched up. Anybody have any advice about how to treat it to prevent scratches?

I'd hate to see that pretty black plastic all scratched up. Anybody have any advice about how to treat it to prevent scratches?

I don't know about preventing them, but I do know that if you use a rubbing/polishing compound on the gloss black plastic that's scratched you can buff the surface scratches out in short order. I've had good luck using Meguair's Scratch-X to clean up shiny surfaces all over my car - these compounds can be used on all kinds of surfaces with relative ease and good results.

The trunk opening is currently my worst complaint about the car. I have banged my head on it twice. I can say that I have "enjoyed every mile", but I have not "enjoyed every minute" -- the minutes after clopping my noggin were not enjoyable. The Fusion ought to have been a fastback like the A7. But that's my biggest complaint, and that's pretty minor; eventually I will learn not to stand up into the trunk lid.

At least with the Sonata its the nature of the beast. Its a becareful and then groan when you scratch it type of an item. I use a feather duster to get most of the dust off and then a thoroughly soaked 303 rag to buff it up.

I guess Ill spend more time looking at the trunk. I got some "TrueCarValue" quotes and dealers certainly are negotiating much around here. Three dealers hawking their crap (I am getting offers for 1.6 EB SE's) when I want a 2.0 EB Titanium. *ugg*.

Been there, done that.........not bad enough how low it is then they had to put those two "bumpers" or whatever the hell those things are that stick out - caught my noggin on them twice.

Yep, I've cracked my head on the trunk lid several times. Totally agree on it should have been a fastback.

As for protecting the black plastic, it appears to be painted, just like the outside of the car. I've already waxed/polished all of the piano black parts inside the car. I've also got some stuff that will remove fine scratches as well. Anything more major would be the same as a paint repair on the outside of the car (polishing compound, buffing, etc). If it gets really bad you could take the piece off and have it repainted for not a whole lot (since it's so small).

As for protecting the black plastic, it appears to be painted, just like the outside of the car. I've already waxed/polished all of the piano black parts inside the car.

Next week I'm going to have it detailed, clay-barred (thanks to this forum -- a month ago I didn't know what "claybar" meant) and treated with a 6-month sealant. Would it make sense to ask them to use the same sealant on the black plastic inside the car?

OK. The wife and I have settled on three colors. Platinum White is top choice believe it or not (LOL), Ingot Silver, and then Bordeaux. However finding the car with the package/options I want is impossible to find. I just want Moonroof (not so hard) and Nav (sorta hard, which is weird) but NO driver nannies (hard). Also I want the HSpokes but was told by the dealer that there is some liability clause with Ford that does not allow them to swap rims. Not sure if thats a line or not but he said he would look harder for the exact match so no swapping was necessary.

Each version I find (that matches the above requirements) always says "Dealer Ordered" and there is a song and dance that follows it. :censored: Its always "Come on in and lets see what we can find you...". Uh, cant you find it without me sitting there? I have looked over a 200 radius and am beginning to believe I am looking for a Unicorn.

[/rant]