Oil Changes

tkrupka

I got my oil changed at the dealer I bought the car from on Saturday morning, and let's just say I am not happy now. First, I went to pay for it. I got "The Works" service which included the oil change, tire rotation, and checks of fluids etc for $39.95. When the cashier told me the total was $46.XX, I was like, uh that seems high, and it should be $42 something with tax (6% in PA). I walked over to the service counter to ask about it, and they said that only includes up to 5 quarts of oil, and they had to put in and charge for an extra quart. I was a bit puzzled why a 4 cylinder engine would require 6 qts, but that is what they said. Well, they agreed to not charge for the extra qt, and I paid and left to do my days errands. It was a hectic day, so I wasn't thinking to check the oil level and owners manual to see what the capacity is.

Today I decide to check the oil and owners manual. I checked the level and my partner looked at it too. He agreed with me it was way overfilled (a good inch over the hole in the dipstick which is above the full mark. The owners manual says 4.5 qts for the Hybrid which makes sense. Even my old 6 cylinder Acura TL didn't take 6 qts (it took 4.5). So now I have to call the dealer tomorrow and demand they drain the oil and set the level to the correct level. I will also mention that I hope they aren't doing this to all cars. Since the dealer is not close to my house or work (almost an hour away), it will be an inconvenience for me, but it has to be done. Yea, and when I drove by the dealer this weekend, EV+ is showing now as one of my more frequent destinations...not a good sign.

It could be that I knew the oil level is high, but the engine sounds like it is louder. Maybe it is trying to process the extra oil and is sort of "choking' on it. The fuel mileage hasn't seemed to suffer, but that is tough to tell with the EV mode and depending on how much EV has been used.

Ouch! That stinks. I hope they give you some sort of other compensation for their error.

That is the main reason I prefer to change my own oil. I have trust issues with mechanics.

I agree. I am a bit leery about using the 3 years worth of free oil changes the dealer gave me...I don't trust the punk kids they have changing oil in 30 minutes for minimum wage. That doesn't indicate quality work

I got my oil changed at the dealer I bought the car from on Saturday morning, and let's just say I am not happy now. ................................

Today I decide to check the oil and owners manual. I checked the level and my partner looked at it too. He agreed with me it was way overfilled (a good inch over the hole in the dipstick which is above the full mark. The owners manual says 4.5 qts for the Hybrid which makes sense. .........................

It could be that I knew the oil level is high, but the engine sounds like it is louder. Maybe it is trying to process the extra oil and is sort of "choking' on it. The fuel mileage hasn't seemed to suffer, but that is tough to tell with the EV mode and depending on how much EV has been used.

Sucks but not at all unusual - never leave the dealer without checking the oil fill level. Had the same thing happen (more than once). Overfilling can be almost as bad as running low on oil - not 100% on it's specific impact on Ford products.

General - 10,000 miles is no biggie for modern synthetic oils. Had Blackstone do several used oil analysis, had more miles left even @ 10K. Wives tale is "break in oil" or requirement to change the oil early the first time.................if it were Ford would have stated in in the manual. Now I'd definitely keep an extra eye on oil levels, 4 bangers have been known to eat a bit of oil early in their lives.

Edited by Bailey151

So it seems that concensus is that full synthetic oil is recommended AT LEAST ~ 7.5K or when oil life monitor hits 25%. I just don't trust dealer actually using synthetic, even if you ask and pay for it. The thing is I would still like to have the dealer perform all the other recommended inspections and rotate tires for me. Change the oil yourself and then take to the dealer for the rest? Can that affect warraty?

Has anybody purchased that Premium Maintenance Plan? Is it worth it?

I was sent this llink which I'm sure most of you have seen. http://www.floodfordesp.com/premium_maintenance.php

• Like 1

Sucks but not at all unusual - never leave the dealer without checking the oil fill level. Had the same thing happen (more than once). Overfilling can be almost as bad as running low on oil - not 100% on it's specific impact on Ford products.

General - 10,000 miles is no biggie for modern synthetic oils. Had Blackstone do several used oil analysis, had more miles left even @ 10K. Wives tale is "break in oil" or requirement to change the oil early the first time.................if it were Ford would have stated in in the manual. Now I'd definitely keep an extra eye on oil levels, 4 bangers have been known to eat a bit of oil early in their lives.

And never take delivery of a new car without checking the oil. That was a lesson learned for me.

Update: Lets just say that I dont think i will be going back to my dealer for service again. I took the car in yesterday to have them redo the oil change or at least take some oil out, and after about 15 minutes, the service writer brought me back to talk to the mechanic. They both went on to tell me that 5.5 quarts is the correct amount and that it is ok if the oil level is at the upper open dot on the dipstick. I told them that the owners manual says 4.5 quarts for the hybrid, and is 5.7 for the 2.0 ecoboost (picture me pointing to the glove box lol grrrrr) and still they said 5.5. He even took out the dipstick to show it was around that level, which i beleive was the case since it was just driven in minutes earlier, so not all the oil drained back into the pan, so it was reading a bit lower than actual. He went on to tell me he fills it to the upper dot which I don't think is ok, but would be passable. I told them i checked it a good 18 hours after i last drove it, and it was above the open dot and close to the swirl part of the stick The service writer said they will make a note in the computer to not charge me for 6 qts next time, and i said that wasn't the point, the overfilling was. My bill was corrected on saturday so i wasnt worried about that part. I will probably call the local dealer near my work later and see if they can fit me in for an oil change in the next couple days. I'll just eat $25-30 and call it a day.

Did you have a specific bad experience?

Ya, I bought a new car in AZ and it blew up the next day on a trip to California. There wasn't enough oil in the motor. Ford gave me a new car. The dealer said it came from the factory - I said, you obviously didn't perform your new car service checklist. I always check the oil before taking delivery now.

Edited by hermans

Update: Lets just say that I dont think i will be going back to my dealer for service again. I took the car in yesterday to have them redo the oil change or at least take some oil out, and after about 15 minutes, the service writer brought me back to talk to the mechanic. They both went on to tell me that 5.5 quarts is the correct amount and that it is ok if the oil level is at the upper open dot on the dipstick. I told them that the owners manual says 4.5 quarts for the hybrid, and is 5.7 for the 2.0 ecoboost (picture me pointing to the glove box lol grrrrr) and still they said 5.5. He even took out the dipstick to show it was around that level, which i beleive was the case since it was just driven in minutes earlier, so not all the oil drained back into the pan, so it was reading a bit lower than actual. He went on to tell me he fills it to the upper dot which I don't think is ok, but would be passable. I told them i checked it a good 18 hours after i last drove it, and it was above the open dot and close to the swirl part of the stick The service writer said they will make a note in the computer to not charge me for 6 qts next time, and i said that wasn't the point, the overfilling was. My bill was corrected on saturday so i wasnt worried about that part. I will probably call the local dealer near my work later and see if they can fit me in for an oil change in the next couple days. I'll just eat $25-30 and call it a day.

I would call Ford Customer Service and tell your story to them an complain about that dealer. They don't seem to understand that the engine in the FFH is NOT the same as the EB 2.0.

Ya, I bought a new car in AZ and it blew up the next day on a trip to California. There wasn't enough oil in the motor. Ford gave me a new car. The dealer said it came from the factory - I said, you obviously didn't perform your new car service checklist. I always check the oil before taking delivery now.

Wow!! That's a crazy story. Lesson learned. I will start always checking my oil after getting it changed somewhere now after your two bad experiences.

I intend on sending a letter to the dealer service manager and calling Ford customer service. Even after i told them the differences in the capacities for the 3 main Fusion engines. I even said, maybe you got the 2.0 liter ecoboost mixed up with the hybrid 2.0 liter. Didnt help. Grrrr.

Ah, dealerships - and here I was thinking maybe......just maybe I'd seen the last of horrible when I changed brands. I didn't think anyone can be as bad a VW's network (good cars, horrible dealer network).

Some of my past "fun" w/ dealers -

1. Was told by tech they would "flush" the torque convertor........um, ah car doesn't have one....shouldn't you know that?

2. Overfill, twice. Confusion caused by specifying capacities in metric while oil comes in US measurements......really? Simple math is too tough?

3. Used wrong oil - which voids the warranty...........um, ah, you're aware they changed the specification, right? Guess not.

That's the short list - this is what makes sites like this so valuable, it does pay to know more about your car. Sucks, but checking up on the dealers seems to be the norm.

So it seems that concensus is that full synthetic oil is recommended AT LEAST ~ 7.5K or when oil life monitor hits 25%. I just don't trust dealer actually using synthetic, even if you ask and pay for it. The thing is I would still like to have the dealer perform all the other recommended inspections and rotate tires for me. Change the oil yourself and then take to the dealer for the rest? Can that affect warraty?

Has anybody purchased that Premium Maintenance Plan? Is it worth it?

Well............Ford says a blend is okay.........I wouldn't use it however. Not with a turbo I won't, only full synthetic thank you very much. The only way you'd know if in fact they used full synthetic is by the part number - find the part number for Motorcraft full synthetic in the appropriate grade. Read the receipt before paying (or accepting) the car. See above, I've had them drain & refill.

Keep the receipt for the oil changes (should do this anyway) - it's illegal for them to deny warranty coverage for vehicles serviced elsewhere (including at the shade tree garage).

Magnuson-Moss act - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

(what it does is put the burden of proof on the manufacturer, they can't specify where service is to be performed)

I intend on sending a letter to the dealer service manager and calling Ford customer service. Even after i told them the differences in the capacities for the 3 main Fusion engines. I even said, maybe you got the 2.0 liter ecoboost mixed up with the hybrid 2.0 liter. Didnt help. Grrrr.

Ford customer service is the way to go, seems this dealer doesn't want to listen. Dealers do seem loath to admit an error.......why is it so hard to believe that a customer might actually have a clue. No, no, fight with them & piss them off - yeah, that's good customer relations.

Edited by Bailey151
  • Like 1

Bailey, Your response to my thoughts was exactly the way i felt. Like they didn't think i knew what i was talking about. Very frustrating and I just gave up trying. I'll take my business elsewhere. I removed their license plate frame before i went to work this morning and threw it in the trash sort of angrily.

Edited by lmp180psu

Bailey, Your response to my thoughts was exactly the way i felt. Like they didn't think i knew what i was talking about. Very frustrating and I just gave up trying. I'll take my business elsewhere. I removed their license plate frame before i went to work this morning and threw it in the trash sort of angrily.

I would have stomped on it a few times and drove to the dealership, opened the door to the showroom and threw it in. But then, that's just me.

• Like 1

................... I removed their license plate frame before i went to work this morning and threw it in the trash sort of angrily.

I do that almost as soon as I'm off the lot - I didn't get a check for being a rolling billboard.

(even worse I refuse to accept delivery of a car with any glue on advertising)

:)

Edited by Bailey151

I do that almost as soon as I'm off the lot - I didn't get a check for being a rolling billboard.

Remember when they used to apply metal name plates and they screwed them in?

I.made sure they took.off their dealer sticker before i took delivery even though the salesman wrote do not install dealer sticker on the order form with my file. I didn't mind having the frame on the car for a little while until the bad weather cleared and i found a nice Penn State or Phillies one. I was hapoy with them and didn't mind giving them a little free advertising until this issue.

Guest RRF985

The first dealer I was working with told me that no matter what they would install the sticker and that I could take it off after delivery. Cut to me buying a car from their rival dealer who agreed to not install any stickers or anything advertising on the car. And that is how I ended up with this car. I should have gone back to the other dealer and told them they lost a sale based on stickers. Lol

The first dealer I was working with told me that no matter what they would install the sticker and that I could take it off after delivery. Cut to me buying a car from their rival dealer who agreed to not install any stickers or anything advertising on the car. And that is how I ended up with this car. I should have gone back to the other dealer and told them they lost a sale based on stickers. Lol

Which dealer puts the stickers on even if the customer doesn't want it? Curious since i am in Central PA and if i get another Ford after this, i am interested to know. I bought this Fusion in York. Probably not again.

Guest RRF985

Which dealer puts the stickers on even if the customer doesn't want it? Curious since i am in Central PA and if i get another Ford after this, i am interested to know. I bought this Fusion in York. Probably not again.

Hoffman Ford. I purchased from L. B. Smith Ford in Lemoyne.

• 2 months later...
So which oil type does everyone use: Full synthetic or the synthetic blend? Why do you go with that one?

The factory synthetic blend 5w-20 or 5w-30 is all you really need on the factory recommended change cycle. Full synthetic is overkill and won't buy you much.

• Like 2

Ok, I admit jumping from page 1 to page 3 so this may have been covered already but isn't this ICE mileage silliness just silly? Yes, with a hybrid the total miles can be more but aren't the only miles that mean anything and matter toward the oil change those miles driven while the engine is running? Who cares what the total miles are, just the engine running miles. Maybe there's something one doesn't know about if they don't have a hybrid but that's what seems to make sense.

So which oil type does everyone use: Full synthetic or the synthetic blend? Why do you go with that one?

Since I plan to change my own oil I'll use full synthetic as the cost difference isn't that much. I use either Mobil 1 or Castrol, usually from Walmart. I did the same on my 2004 F250 and 2007 Escape every 10,000 miles or 6 months, whichever came first. Always did the air filters every spring. This served me well. My 2004 F250 has 75,000 miles on it and will be traded soon for my 2013 FFH Titanium. My 2007 Escape hybrid was totaled after 145,000 miles and recently replaced with s 2013 Escape Titanium with 3500 miles on it now. I plan to change it's oil with Mobile 1 Full Synthetic this week for it's first oil change.