Judge Sentenced to 28 Years in Prison for "Selling" Kids to Private Prisons

Accused of perpetrating a “profound evil,” former Pennsylvania judge Mark Ciavarella Jr. has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for illegally accepting money from a juvenile-prison developer while he spent years incarcerating thousands of young people.

Prosecutors said Ciavarella sent juveniles to jail as part of a “kids for cash” scheme involving Robert Mericle, builder of the PA and Western PA Child Care juvenile detention centers. The ex-judge was convicted in February of 12 counts that included racketeering, money laundering, mail fraud and tax evasion.

And old-fashioned greed ruins how many lives? Prisons-for-profit, indeed. Nobody profits. :)

• Like 1

Accused of perpetrating a “profound evil,” former Pennsylvania judge Mark Ciavarella Jr. has been sentenced to 28 years in prison for illegally accepting money from a juvenile-prison developer while he spent years incarcerating thousands of young people.

Prosecutors said Ciavarella sent juveniles to jail as part of a “kids for cash” scheme involving Robert Mericle, builder of the PA and Western PA Child Care juvenile detention centers. The ex-judge was convicted in February of 12 counts that included racketeering, money laundering, mail fraud and tax evasion.

And old-fashioned greed ruins how many lives? Prisons-for-profit, indeed. Nobody profits. :)

Too much power is placed in the hands of one man. Hopefully, the stiff sentence will deter others. There are too many laws, and too much governmemnt involvement in the minutia of people's lives; like talking on a cell phone while driving, or wearing seat belts, or always stopping at a red light or stop sign even if there isn't a car for 100 yards. You have to separate garbage and the paranoia and silly laws concerning guns. Kids committing minor offenses should be reported to their parents; and the parents embarrassed in public if they don't curb their kids' behavior. Failing that; the community will know who they are and deal with them. They will soon learn to curb their behavior. Locking them up turns them into career criminals, and makes profit for government officials involved with the "justice" system. The lax enforcement of serious offenses and lawyers that can twist the law in their favor makes a criminal career very lucrative, so that it is now rampant with gangs, Mafia, government corruption, banksters, and you name it. If government is responsible for it, it is a guaranteed disaster.

Are you suggesting that any of those are bad laws? :hysterical:

They are a waste of time. Laws exist that make the operator liable for loss and damages in an accident, or murder for vehicular homicide. Distracted driving and failure to obey posted traffic signs covers almost all circumstances.

Maybe we need a law prohibiting talking to a passenger, eating while driving, listening to the radio, having a squalling child in the car seat behind the driver.......these are distractions and have led to death and injury. Are we going to write a new law every time someone fails to obey the existing laws?

They are a waste of time. Laws exist that make the operator liable for loss and damages in an accident, or murder for vehicular homicide. Distracted driving and failure to obey posted traffic signs covers almost all circumstances.

Maybe we need a law prohibiting talking to a passenger, eating while driving, listening to the radio, having a squalling child in the car seat behind the driver.......these are distractions and have led to death and injury. Are we going to write a new law every time someone fails to obey the existing laws?

Common sense isn't so common...

Mandatory seatbelt laws have absolutely been demonstrated to increase the usage of seatbelts, so in some cases, yeah.

The seat belt, like the helmet, only protects the person using it. You and I are arguing elsewhere that a woman has the right to abort an unwanted fetus because it's her body.

Be consistent. Which is it? Helmets? Seat belts? Abortions? Either you can choose what you do with your body or you cannot.

The seat belt, like the helmet, only protects the person using it. You and I are arguing elsewhere that a woman has the right to abort an unwanted fetus because it's her body.

Be consistent. Which is it? Helmets? Seat belts? Abortions? Either you can choose what you do with your body or you cannot.

Actually, seatbelts are very important tools in helping a driver maintain control of the vehile during an impact, so it can absolutely directly have an impact others. Not to mention they lead to higher rates of injury and hospitalization which all detract from the available public services to others who may otherwise need it.

And wow, bringing abortion into a debate about SEATBELTS? :hysterical: The Crusades ended long ago.

Honestly, I see ZERO inconsistency here. You have a right to do with your own body whatever you please until it impacts the rights of someone else as far as I'm concerned ( and no, unborn fetuses prior to a certain gestation don't have rights in my eyes). You keep mentioning suicide being illegal like it supports your position somehow. If someone feels like offing him or herself, they should have that right...again...as long as the act doesn't infringe on the rights of others somehow. :shrug:

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

And they were helped by a GOVERNMENT official - and a Democrat, no less. Judge Ciaveralla is a registered Democrat. Somehow, if the good judge were a Republican, I'm guessing that his political affiliation would have been broadcast far and wide by now.

Actually, seatbelts are very important tools in helping a driver maintain control of the vehile during an impact, so it can absolutely directly have an impact others.

And wow, bringing abortion into a debate about SEATBELTS? :hysterical: The Crusades ended long ago.

hold the driver responsible.for their failure to maintain control. Done deal!

Regarding your edit.

Honestly, I see ZERO inconsistency here. You have a right to do with your own body whatever you please until it impacts the rights of someone else as far as I'm concerned ( and no, unborn fetuses prior to a certain gestation don't have rights in my eyes). You keep mentioning suicide being illegal like it supports your position somehow. If someone feels like offing him or herself, they should have that right...again...as long as the act doesn't infringe on the rights of others somehow. :shrug:

I agree with you on the suicide issue. The government and man can take my money, my home, my reputation and my freedom. but when all else has been taken, I have the right to say when I am ready to jump off this "Merry-Go-Round".

We also agree it is allowable until it impacts the rights of someone else. But, what of the father of that child? He may have wanted it. And when she and he copulated, they were in agreement they would raise the child together. Is he NOT impacted by her decision?

Alternately, what if he did NOT want to raise a child and she does? She quit taking the pill or changed her mind. She gets to have it both ways. She can deny him the child he wants or force him to support a child he does not want. That is not equitable.

And, yes, I do feel the fetus has rights, because if their life is not held as precious, yours is less precious. The slave owners felt much the same way. The life of a slave was worth less or worthless as the owner had the right to decide based on HIS opinion.

We also agree it is allowable until it impacts the rights of someone else. But, what of the father of that child? He may have wanted it. And when she and he copulated, they were in agreement they would raise the child together. Is he NOT impacted by her decision?

Alternately, what if he did NOT want to raise a child and she does? She quit taking the pill or changed her mind. She gets to have it both ways. She can deny him the child he wants or force him to support a child he does not want. That is not equitable.

One of the many ways humankind just needs to admit where man and woman are not equal and never will be. It's her body. She has a right to it.

And, yes, I do feel the fetus has rights, because if their life is not held as precious, yours is less precious. The slave owners felt much the same way. The life of a slave was worth less or worthless as the owner had the right to decide based on HIS opinion.

Oh boy. :nonono:

• Like 1

One of the many ways humankind just needs to admit where man and woman are not equal and never will be. It's her body. She has a right to it.

Oh boy. :nonono:

So were getting into the equal rights issue. Or rather, the UN-equal rights.

I just want to make people responsible for their willful actions.

And look at the resistance I face.

:hysterical: You make it out to be like you're fighting for this cause all alone. Oh woe is you.

Only on this forum. Most are bystanders. A few "like" my statements, but I'm not looking for their adulation. Occasionally, they step up and interject. They may be intimidated, perhaps by my willingness to openly state what some consider radical positions.

(Don't worry. I'm not THAT kind of radical.)

Only on this forum. Most are bystanders. A few "like" my statements, but I'm not looking for their adulation. Occasionally, they step up and interject. They may be intimidated, perhaps by my willingness to openly state what some consider radical positions.

Oh come on. Like conservative positions (many of which I agree with) are considered "radical" here one bit. Of all of the left-leaning interweb sites out there, this certainly isn't one of them. I mean geez. The longest thread on the forums is called "Obama's Failures"!! :hysterical:

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Oh come on. Like conservative positions (many of which I agree with) are considered "radical" here one bit. Of all of the left-leaning interweb sites out there, this certainly isn't one of them.

Radical as in where most politicians are willing to only go so far to avoid offending the voters, I am willing to go to conception and I am looking for more than platitudes on why that is the wrong position. You are not willing to rehash your position so I am left with no one daring to be equally as frank as I have.

And few "conservatives" have chimed in more than occasionally. This is a battle I fight alone. And just as well. Even the opposing side is leery of engaging in this hot button topic.

I did not come to my decisions because of the Methodist upbringing I had. Despite 13 years of perfect attendance in Sunday School, I realized I had to want to accept the church doctrine and change my behavior, which I could not. So, I quit attending and have been conflicted and nearly agnostic since. Some fine roots are imbedded, but I am soul searching to find what I can accept.

Both my first wife and second wife admit to having had an abortion in their youth. My first wife regretted her choice and admitted she was too young to have had a baby. My second wife also had done the same and she and I agree today on the subject. I felt very uneasy stating my position and asked if she is hurt by my position. She says she understands and agrees with me.

(BTW, my first wife passed away from cancer after we were married 20 years. We had one daughter. She is 24 now.)

But I am mostly moved to my position by many of the issues regarding the right to bear arms and how I feel about being limited to a select range of weapons to do so, while others think their president has greater rights. That precept reinforced my conviction on the sanctity of life and has led me to express it here for "peer review" in an effort to find fallacy in it.

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

Or as equally off topic. I'm equally to blame for that, but just sayin'... :)

Sometimes, a Barber Shop conversation migrates. And I see this forum as that. A bunch of folks in a room having a conversation. Occasionally, you find yourself in the weeds. Maybe you find your way back to the fairway.....and sometimes you have to give up on finding the way back.

Thanks for playing along!

If they are intimidated it's mostly because of your paranoid postings about needing to defend yourself.