Felt like material in rear wheel well 2013 Fusion Ti

Jamers

Just washed my 3 day old 2013 Fusion Titanium and noticed there is this weird felt like material covering the inside of the rear wheel wells rather than the black plastic I was expecting. It almost looks like the factory neglected to install the rest of the wheel well shroud.

Can anyone else confirm if this is normal or not?

Can anyone else confirm if this is normal or not?

Here are a couple pics of mine, appear to be black fiberglass -- is yours the same??

Directly behind the rear tire:

Inside_WheelWell_1_zps8d0507b7.jpg

Looking across the top of the rear tire:

Inside_WheelWell_2_zps91da3c69.jpg

Here are a couple pics of mine, appear to be black fiberglass -- is yours the same??

Directly behind the rear tire:

Looking across the top of the rear tire:

Yeah, looks like mine at least. Mine feels "fabricy" versus fiberglass. However I don't believe I have handled fiberglass in anything not completely finished (IE: Smooth).

I have the same thing on my SE, since they are trying to quiet the ride, I'm sure that's what it's for. Regardless of whether it's wind or water noise, I'm sure it's for noise reduction. Mine is more felt like also, I have a Job 1 build from September 2012.

Yeah, looks like mine at least. Mine feels "fabricy" versus fiberglass. However I don't believe I have handled fiberglass in anything not completely finished (IE: Smooth).

Well I said fiberglass but probably should have added 'or other composite material'... but at least it sounds like you have the same material on yours, which is good.

My old Audis had that in the wheelwells. It's to reduce sound transmission into the car from road noise, as others have mentioned. In terms of accumulating dirt, yes it does but if you give it a good spray with the hose, you'll see a lot of that dirt come out with the water.

It also reduces pinging noises when the tires kick up loose rocks/gravel/pebbles/etc. All of our previous/current Mercedes have had the felt lining in the wheel wells. While it's difficult to clean, I'd personally choose the extra hassle for a quieter ride.

• 1 month later...