Sony Premium Audio System Subwoofer

BadRock

So as I browse through the forums I have noticed several people speaking poorly about the subwoofer included in the Sony Premium Audio package. Is it really that poor, has anyone tried to upgrade it?

I don't have my Energi Ti yet but I was really looking forward to the audio experience, if I need to plan an immediate upgrade please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Before I got this car, I was thinking a subwoofer would be a good idea, because there's plenty of room in that deep trunk for some serious woof. And it really adds to the driving enjoyment with only a small hit on performance and handling (weight). But all you need to do is go to hip hop nation, sirius channel 44, they play low bass there and it sounds good at low to moderate volume. It isn't window or wall rattling loud, but it is played realistically. Those of you who need wall rattling vibration, start planning your system now, cause stock aint gonna cut it. I typically drive with a passenger, so I can't turn it up real loud anyway, unless my passenger feels like I do about loud music. But stock is great for most people.

Guest RRF985

The bass with the Sony system IMO is more than adequate. I am constantly amazed at how well it hits the lows. There are actually 2 subs with the Sony system.

• Like 2

Have the Sony system in my Edge (only has one sub, but I'd venture to guess it's the same one the Fusion uses) but it performs admirably for a factory system. It's certainly no match for the 12" JLAudio sub I have in my Mustang that has 700 watts going through it, but for day-to-day music and talk radio, I think it performs pretty well.

The bass with the Sony system IMO is more than adequate. I am constantly amazed at how well it hits the lows. There are actually 2 subs with the Sony system.

Same here. I don't need a system with 2 12" subwoofers so the Sony system does very well for me. I am surprised at how loud and clear it is. I can barely get it to half volume before it gets obnoxiously loud.

For me, loud isn't the issue. I hate loud subwoofers. But I love subwoofers that reproduce clean, quick, tight bass below, say, 60hz. And though the bass is clear in the higher range, when the low instruments of a song dips low down below 50 or 60hz, that kick or synth bass line all but disappears with the Sony-- two subwoofers or not. Notes drop out. On songs I know it is frustrating. Songs I don't know, well it sounds pretty frkn good.

But otherwise, the Sony is perfectly adequate. But I may look into replacing those subs.

For me, loud isn't the issue. I hate loud subwoofers. But I love subwoofers that reproduce clean, quick, tight bass below, say, 60hz. And though the bass is clear in the higher range, when the low instruments of a song dips low down below 50 or 60hz, that kick or synth bass line all but disappears with the Sony-- two subwoofers or not. Notes drop out. On songs I know it is frustrating. Songs I don't know, well it sounds pretty frkn good.

But otherwise, the Sony is perfectly adequate. But I may look into replacing those subs.

Yeah, that's about my only complaint with it also. I know the bass in my songs pretty well from listening to them in my Mustang. Those low lows are missed at times, but I also find that many of the higher range lows are actually reproduced quite well. All a trade-off really. Most buyers just aren't willing to sacrifice the necessary airspace needed for a 12" sub to do its job properly.

This is what I'm worried about... :sad: A sub should be able to reproduce sounds down to around 20 Hz, if you are losing tones than it's an inadequate sub.

This is what I'm worried about... :sad: A sub should be able to reproduce sounds down to around 20 Hz, if you are losing tones than it's an inadequate sub.

Well, there are simply tones that are below the capability of subwoofers of a particular size. It comes down to physics. It really doesn't have anything to do with the quality of materials once you reach a certain threshold.

Nick, that is very true. For the past 10+ years I've driven a company cargo van as my daily driver but I had installed a 10" infinity Kappa to help bridge the gap. When I purchased this car I wanted to make sure I could reproduce the lows as well as I could in my cargo van. I guess I'll have to wait and find out but it sounds like most are happy with the system.

Nick, that is very true. For the past 10+ years I've driven a company cargo van as my daily driver but I had installed a 10" infinity Kappa to help bridge the gap. When I purchased this car I wanted to make sure I could reproduce the lows as well as I could in my cargo van. I guess I'll have to wait and find out but it sounds like most are happy with the system.

Did you take a test drive in a Titanium yet? If not, you should test one (either gas/hybrid or energi) and see what it sounds like. Bring some high quality music with you on a flash drive or CD for best results. If you can't find one at one dealer try a few others :)

This is SO subjective that you can't really rely on others - you need to listen for yourself.

True enough also. Most people think factory systems are great. Then there are others who would laugh at the several grand worth of hardware in my Cobra.

All of this is true, I have not driven a Ti. I have an Energi Ti on order but I am still over a month away from seeing it. I'm sure it will be adequate but I'm with you Nick, I would spend several $k on an audio system and feel completely justified.

When you listen to the Sony system, try the Surround mode, found in audio settings. It would be nice if you could turn that mode on and it would stay on, but it doesn't.

I noticed it doesn't stay on...annoying.

Whenever I use one mode for awhile and switch back to the other the new one sounds better lol. Pretty sure music is recorded in stereo tho, so does surround make it worse? Any audiophile that can provide input?