Yet another 2015 Mustang render

silvrsvt

I'd be willing to say out loud that the 4.6 OHCs from '96-'98 were basically slow.

I'd agree with you, the increase in V6 HP in sedans in the late 1990s was pretty incredible...

I remember this like yesterday, most mags returning a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds for both GT and ('99-'01)SVT Cobra models. With the quarter-mile times usually @13.97 or 13.98.

Funny thing is that 3700 LB Taurus SHO puts down those numbers now stock :)

• Like 1

And I'm assuming the ultra-rare 2002 SVT Cobras (yes they did build 100 of them) would be the same as the '99-'01s, cause it was the next year that the supercharged Cobras arrived.

I remember this like yesterday, most mags returning a 0-60 time of 5.4 seconds for both GT and ('99-'01)SVT Cobra models. With the quarter-mile times usually @13.97 or 13.98.

1-I would love for you to link some proof of a '02 Cobra being built. I imagine your not speaking of a early '03. (I just recalled, Australia got a load of them back then. Those were the same as '01 but with a unique front bumper cover IIRC) Found a pic.

http://www.svtregistry.com/cobra/2001/convertible/1060/1.jpg

MM&FF had Evan Smith drive a '01 to a 13.25 in the 1/4 bubba. He actually took one faster in a prior test. I managed a 13.86 myself and it was as stock as the day I picked it up. I'm not good at slipping the clutch though.

Edited by wildosvt
  • Like 1

1-I would love for you to link some proof of a '02 Cobra being built. I imagine your not speaking of a early '03. (I just recalled, Australia got a load of them back then. Those were the same as '01 but with a unique front bumper cover IIRC) Found a pic.

http://www.svtregistry.com/cobra/2001/convertible/1060/1.jpg

MM&FF had Evan Smith drive a '01 to a 13.25 in the 1/4 bubba. He actually took one faster in a prior test. I managed a 13.86 myself and it was as stock as the day I picked it up. I'm not good at slipping the clutch though.

Those are the exact ones I'm speaking of wildosvt. A good friend was hosting a business contact from The Land Down Under five years ago and I met them out for beers. After discussing several things our mutual love of Mustangs became clear. This fella actually owns one of those 100. He showed us pictures on his phone of himself with his car, and the front end was identical to that pic. I asked him at first if it was an '03, but alas, no supercharger, so I then inquired about it being a leftover '01, to which he said all of his paperwork was in good order and indeed they were all designated 2002 SVT Cobras, and all were converted to right-hand drive and all were shipped to Australia. And then he told me how much that bugger costs him to obtain and the nightmare that was/is the parts situation if you wreck it, and this was back about five years ago, can't imagine how tough that scenario would be to handle now.

As for your times, sure, you can always find a hotshoe who can do fantastic things with a car. Also, as I'm sure you know, things like track conditions, air temp and the like can affect that stuff. I once saw a fella with a bare-bones stock 2000 GT rip a 13.86 at a Fun Ford Weekend event, (though after watching that I would NEVER buy that guy's car, that clutch couldn't have been long for this world!), but my times were pretty accurate for lots of publications. I confirmed as much by pulling the back issues out of my library and checking them myself this morning. (I saved any old car mag that had anything Mustang-related) I know it chafes owners of either the '99 or '01 SVT Cobras (my father was one of them, he had a '99), but the GTs were really as quick, it boiled down to the driver and your reaction to the Xmas tree if you were gonna race them against each other.

Speaking of SVT, do you currently still have her? Or is the Shelby keeping you plenty busy enough? :shift:

Edited by OHV 16V

Those are the exact ones I'm speaking of wildosvt. A good friend was hosting a business contact from The Land Down Under five years ago and I met them out for beers. After discussing several things our mutual love of Mustangs became clear. This fella actually owns one of those 100. He showed us pictures on his phone of himself with his car, and the front end was identical to that pic. I asked him at first if it was an '03, but alas, no supercharger, so I then inquired about it being a leftover '01, to which he said all of his paperwork was in good order and indeed they were all designated 2002 SVT Cobras, and all were converted to right-hand drive and all were shipped to Australia. And then he told me how much that bugger costs him to obtain and the nightmare that was/is the parts situation if you wreck it, and this was back about five years ago, can't imagine how tough that scenario would be to handle now.

As for your times, sure, you can always find a hotshoe who can do fantastic things with a car. Also, as I'm sure you know, things like track conditions, air temp and the like can affect that stuff. I once saw a fella with a bare-bones stock 2000 GT rip a 13.86 at a Fun Ford Weekend event, (though after watching that I would NEVER buy that guy's car, that clutch couldn't have been long for this world!), but my times were pretty accurate for lots of publications. I confirmed as much by pulling the back issues out of my library and checking them myself this morning. (I saved any old car mag that had anything Mustang-related) I know it chafes owners of either the '99 or '01 SVT Cobras (my father was one of them, he had a '99), but the GTs were really as quick, it boiled down to the driver and your reaction to the Xmas tree if you were gonna race them against each other.

Speaking of SVT, do you currently still have her? Or is the Shelby keeping you plenty busy enough? :shift:

The Shelby is keeping my hands full. I have zero plans of letting her go too. She is paid for! I have never kept any other car this long. I picked her up August 2006.

To add to your post, I believe it was Tickford who converted them to RHD once they arrived to Austrailia.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few things moved me to purchase a 2014 Shelby GT 500. Last year on current platform, incremental improvements kept making this car more and more incredible. I read all the reviews, drove most of the competition, all the numbers aside, it just feels right. Also need new wheels and decided on something fun after turning over my Jetta TDI to my son. The GT 500 is a tough act to follow. No matter where Ford goes it will be interesting to see what happens, so many influences... lead designer on this project has my up most respect. Who knows maybe that person will be in Carlisle, PA next summer with 50th anniversary.

• 1 month later...
A few things moved me to purchase a 2014 Shelby GT 500. Last year on current platform, incremental improvements kept making this car more and more incredible. I read all the reviews, drove most of the competition, all the numbers aside, it just feels right. Also need new wheels and decided on something fun after turning over my Jetta TDI to my son. The GT 500 is a tough act to follow. No matter where Ford goes it will be interesting to see what happens, so many influences... lead designer on this project has my up most respect. Who knows maybe that person will be in Carlisle, PA next summer with 50th anniversary.

I agree that they have seemed to hit the spot on the 2014.

• 3 weeks later...
Lots of naysaysers will "get used to it" after a year, then complain about the next restyle.

Rinse and Repeat.

Agree. Judging by the reactions on other forums, I'd say this one will take even less "getting used to" than the others. People who initially were not thrilled seem to be warming up to it already.