Took delivery of my 2013 MKZ - A few questions...

VirtualAmerican

Hi folks,

Saturday, I took delivery of my factory-ordered 2013 Lincoln MKZ, and after leafing through the owner's manual and doing a bit of googling here and there, I have a few questions remaining that I hope someone with more MKZ experience can answer:

1. In the Vehicle Settings which can be accessed through the instrumentation cluster, under the Locks sub-menu there is an option to activate or deactivate a function called "Mislock". Does anyone know what this is and what Ford understands by a "mislock"? (Explained on page 63 of the 2013 MKZ (non-hybrid) owner's manual - thanks Bearcats98!)

2. In the owner's manual section about remote starting, there is a mention of a function called "Quiet Start". It is my firm impression that I have gone through every possible and imaginable setting trying to find this setting in the car's menus (through both MyLincoln Touch and the instrument cluster) but alas, to no avail. Does anyone know where to turn this on/off? Am I searching in the right places? The manual does mention that the setting should be accessible via the instrument cluster menus (just like the desired length of the remote start and whether remote starting is on/off), but I didn't find it.

3. I've read that some new MKZ owners received a decorative wooden box as a thank you gift for buying a new Lincoln. My dealer did not give me one of these when I picked the car up. Is this is only for pre-orders or is everyone supposed to get one? I'm in Canada, if it makes any difference.

4. When you leave the car with the ignition on (engine idling) and close the driver's door taking the key fob with you, the horn sounds twice (no doubt to remind you that the car is on, duh!). Is there any way to turn this off other than by leaving the key in the car or not closing the driver's door (not safe)? The owner's manual seems silent on the matter. This is annoying as heck because our townhome has a single-lane driveway and my girlfriend and I often have to "jockey" our cars in order to be able to park or leave. This "feature" probably cannot be turned off, but here's my recommendation on what you can do to minimize its impact: carefully shut the driver's door, but don't let it latch. On my MKZ, I really have to give a good swing to my door for it to latch. I just don't give it that much of a swing when I don't want it to latch and it works out fine. This will allow you to keep your car running with the driver's door "shut" and the car won't honk. Plus, if you look quickly enough, your door still looks closed, sort of. :/

Thanks folks!

Edited by VirtualAmerican

1) I am guessing on this one as I remember glancing over reading it. Mislock is when something in the system does not register correctly during the locking process it defaults to the mode you indicate. I think. Like if someone pulls on a handle mid lock and partially opens the door.

2) Silent is no horn toots or light flashes indicating you are remote starting the car. I was under the impression it was in the remote start menu as you indicate. So I went out to get my manual and forgot my wife took my car. :doh:

3) Can't help you her.

4) I wish there was a way, but I have not found one reading the manual cover to cover. But I could have dozed off a bit in parts of it.. :boring:

Thanks for your answer, Bearcats98!

One more thing: even though I have paired my phone to MyLincoln Touch successfully (they connect every time I start the car), my instrument cluster still says "No Phone Added - Please see touchscreen" under the "Phone" setting. Has anyone else experienced that before? How do I get the instrument cluster to recognize my phone when it's already paired with the touchscreen?

Thanks again!

4. When you leave the car with the ignition on (engine idling) and close the driver's door taking the key fob with you, the horn sounds twice (no doubt to remind you that the car is on, duh!). Is there any way to turn this off other than by leaving the key in the car or not closing the driver's door (not safe)? The owner's manual seems silent on the matter. This is annoying as heck because our townhome has a single-lane driveway and my girlfriend and I often have to "jockey" our cars in order to be able to park or leave.

Thanks folks!

#4 is one of my biggest pet peeves with the car. I often start the car in the morning, back into the driveway and then run back into the house to get something (or bring the trash to the curb, etc) and I almost never remember to leave my key in the car (or not close the door completely) and it honks. I leave pretty early in the morning so I know my neighbors probably hate that.

#4 is one of my biggest pet peeves with the car. I often start the car in the morning, back into the driveway and then run back into the house to get something (or bring the trash to the curb, etc) and I almost never remember to leave my key in the car (or not close the door completely) and it honks. I leave pretty early in the morning so I know my neighbors probably hate that.

My Sonata does this as well. But instead of a couple quick honks on the horn; I get one long continuous tone for three seconds. Rather have the honks. Most rather have nothing honestly but in today's litigious society I know why its there.

My Sonata does this as well. But instead of a couple quick honks on the horn; I get one long continuous tone for three seconds. Rather have the honks. Most rather have nothing honestly but in today's litigious society I know why its there.

I understand as well, but it should be on by default and have the option to turn it off. I also think you should be able to turn off the seat belt nanny as well, but that one is far less intrusive.

I understand as well, but it should be on by default and have the option to turn it off. I also think you should be able to turn off the seat belt nanny as well, but that one is far less intrusive.

Then you have idiocy by our government like the whole Dodge scenario going on. I would love to be able to have user selectable options on those things (all though my SB isnt an issue). Until tort reform happens....

I also think you should be able to turn off the seat belt nanny as well, but that one is far less intrusive.

That can be disabled on a lot of vehicles. If I recall it is done in some sequence with the steering wheel buttons and the on/off button, but I think it's something only published for dealers. Think I recall seeing someone mention how it's done on here before.

To make sure I understand, your center stack shows your phone paired but your right LCD in dash cluster does not?

That's correct.

And I also found out that contrary to what my owner's manual says, I cannot open my trunk using the SecuriCode keypad using the procedure described (type in code, then press 5-6 within five seconds). My lights flash, but the decklid stays put. :(

I spoke to my dealer about the horn honk and was told when they checked with "Ford Technical" that it was not possible at this time. They also said that when you choose the surround sound setting on MFT and it does not stay chosen when you turn off the car, is how it is supposed to be.

Edited by rkan

They also say that when you surround sound setting on MFT does not stay chosen when you turn off the car is how it is supposed to be.

Why does it stay selected on my Edge then? It may be that way intentionally, but it's certainly not consistent across models.

Guest RRF985

Leave the door open. It won't honk.

You can disable this. Read the manual.

Leave the door open. It won't honk. You can disable this. Read the manual.

I do leave the door open, that's the only way I know around it. But when it's hot outside I'd rather not do that, I like to keep the AC inside the car. And thank you for the tip on the owners manual, I certainly didn't check there....

If it's in there a quick search didn't find it. So if you know where it is, feel free to be helpful and post a page number. ;)

I do leave the door open, that's the only way I know around it. But when it's hot outside I'd rather not do that, I like to keep the AC inside the car. And thank you for the tip on the owners manual, I certainly didn't check there....

If it's in there a quick search didn't find it. So if you know where it is, feel free to be helpful and post a page number. ;)

Page 30 (Safety Belts -> Safety Belt Minder)

Deactivating and Activating the

Belt-Minder Feature

I really don't believe you can turn this off. But I found a quick workaround for the "car honks with driver's door closed when ignition on" issue. Just shut the driver's door, but don't let it latch. On my MKZ, I really have to give a good swing to my door for it to latch. I just don't give it that much and it works fine. This will allow you to keep your climate-controlled interior as cold as you want, and the car won't honk. Plus, if you look quickly enough, your door looks (sort of) closed. Short of actually turning this "feature" off, (which seems impossible) I think that's your best bet.

Found the true mislock explaination while looking for oil reset procedure. Page 52.

If any door or the luggage compartment is open, or if the hood is open on vehicles equipped with an anti-theft alarm or remote start, the horn will sound twice and the lamps wont flash.

Found the true mislock explaination while looking for oil reset procedure. Page 52. If any door or the luggage compartment is open, or if the hood is open on vehicles equipped with an anti-theft alarm or remote start, the horn will sound twice and the lamps wont flash.

Thanks Bearcats98! Looks like it's page 63 in the MKZ (non-hybrid) manual:

Locking the Doors

Press the button to lock all

the doors. The turn signals

will illuminate.

Press the button again within three

seconds to confirm that all the doors

are closed. The doors will lock again,

the horn will chirp and the turn signals

will illuminate if all the doors and the

luggage compartment are closed.

Note: If any door or the luggage

compartment is not closed, or if the

hood is not closed on vehicles

equipped with an anti-theft alarm or

remote start, the horn will chirp twice

and the lamps will not flash. You can

enable or disable this feature in the

information display. See General

Information (page 100).

Yep. That is the definition of a "mislock". Mystery solved. Thanks again!

Edited by VirtualAmerican