Lincoln Interior Designers Interview

Autoline After Hours did a 30 minute interview with 2 Lincoln interior designers to discuss what's coming up. They were very tight lipped but did state that they are currently creating a portfolio of Lincoln exclusive interior & exterior colors, materials, textures, stitching styles, etc... for the 3 upcoming models. They also quickly mentioned that they will offer unique interior looks for future "VERY HIGH-END LINCOLNS."

Interview starts around the 24min mark.

www.autoline.tv

• Like 2

J-1228,

Thanks for the link!

I gotta admit that i didn't immediately fall under the charismatic spell of Mr. Peter DeLorenzo.

(or swoon for those 2 "dynamic" design women either for that matter).

But I did get the tiniest glimpse of the effort Lincoln is putting into defining its near-term vision of "luxury".

The bashing of Infiniti was another eye-opener for me.

I'd like to hear more of the group's view on the Mk VIII, as my '94 was possibly my favorite pre-MKZ car ever.

Altogether, very much worth watching.

Thanks again,

karl

Those women could've used a can of Red Bull to liven up a bit. I was just glad to hear that they acknowledged there's a problem with Lincoln interiors being too similar to Fords and that changes are on the way.

Also, what "really cool stuff" do you think they'll be showing at Pebble Beach that they couldn't talk about (40m:30s)? Production MKC? Concept version of MKS? Updated Navigator?

Those women could've used a can of Red Bull to liven up a bit. I was just glad to hear that they acknowledged there's a problem with Lincoln interiors being too similar to Fords and that changes are on the way.

Also, what "really cool stuff" do you think they'll be showing at Pebble Beach that they couldn't talk about (40m:30s)? Production MKC? Concept version of MKS? Updated Navigator?

The AAH shows tend to be fairly even, low wattage affairs. I generally enjoy them, though, as it's interesting to hear from both the hosts (who are experienced auto journalist-insiders) and the guests (who tend to be individuals of consequence in the industry). Still, the two Lincoln designers were hardly firecrackers and it's astonishing how little actual information they conveyed in such a long interview. The PR folks must really prep them well. That said, Delorenzo and Hall threw them pretty softball questions until the very end, when Hall (quite embarrassingly, in my opinion) lowered the boom on them in his negative opinion of the MKZ interior. That said, I didn't think he was totally wrong in his feeling that the MKZ interior, despite seeming like an advanced "sketch" and quite radical for its segment, is missing something in his opinion that he can't put his finger on (I personally think it's both a material quality issue with the center plastic and a lack of attention to details).

Listening to the show regularly as I do, it's of note from a Lincoln perspective that the hosts, especially DeLorenzo, tend to be very positive about Lincoln's future, believing that there's room for a luxury maker to do something different. They all like the MKZ as well. DeLorenzo, in his AutoExtremist guise, is something of a professional curmudgeon. He's historically been very hard to impress, so the fact that he's apparently seen and is excited about whatever Lincoln has coming is a good sign. My guess is that an MKS concept is coming to Pebble Beach. That wouldn't be the place to bring a production small sport utility...

hi Iiari!

I just finally saw this episode this afternoon...

...almost Painful to watch.

imho PDL is a lousy interviewer (that day at least)

+ it rather pissed me off when he hogged & dismissed most of the sent-in questions.

That said, the lack of 'affect' of the guests almost troubles me - wondering what kind of "supporting cast" is to be found in the spanking new Design Center?

re: the PB Concours

what I've gathered is it's not so much a single concept vehicle but having to do with "reaching higher", perhaps [blackLabel] or the Bespoke Program...

...as PDL said, he's excited to "see their work" then,

rather than "it".

(agree the MKC wouldn't have the "star" power needed to stand up to Caddy's brand-new Glamour Concept)

Edited by 2b2

hi Iiari!

I just finally saw this episode this afternoon...

...almost Painful to watch.

imho PDL is a lousy interviewer (that day at least)

+ it rather pissed me off when he hogged & dismissed most of the sent-in questions.

That said, the lack of 'affect' of the guests almost troubles me - wondering what kind of "supporting cast" is to be found in the spanking new Design Center?

re: the PB Concours

what I've gathered is it's not so much a single concept vehicle but having to do with "reaching higher", perhaps [blackLabel] or the Bespoke Program...

...as PDL said, he's excited to "see their work" then,

rather than "it".

(agree the MKC wouldn't have the "star" power needed to stand up to Caddy's brand-new Glamour Concept)

Regarding AAH, I wouldn't worry about the design center cast. I've done some local television guest spots where I live and have learned that what we would all call "normal" conversation appears dreadful on TV. Most of the professional TV we watch, when you're in the studio observing it filmed, looks in real life almost comically goofy and silly and so very unnatural. But then you watch it on the screen and it suddenly appears normative. Everyone making a living on TV, from Glenn Close to your local weatherman, is a "performer" "on stage," even on the "interview" shows they are supposed to be acting like real people. Again, comically saccharine and goofy in person while you're watching it filmed... Doing stuff like AAH for guys like DeLorenzo and Hall isn't their day jobs, and is probably a slice more professional than, like, you and I deciding to do a video blog... Amateur hour in that respect.

Regarding Pebble Beach, it would be interesting to see the Black Label program. Hirsch tuners used to do luxury interior bits for Saabs that were very effective in elevating perceived quality, and many fans kept yelling for years at Saab to make the stuff OEM across the board. Will be interesting to see what Lincoln does. Again, DeLorenzo is not easily impressed.