Ford to give MyFord Touch more buttons, knobs

MSPFusion

http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-give-myford-touch-more-buttons-knobs.html

According to an article on Leftlane news Ford is going to give all of its vehicles more buttons and knobs on My Ford Touch equipped vehicles.

To quote from the article, linked above, " But Ford has apparently been listening to those complaints as the automaker announced on Monday that it will update MyFord Touch this summer to mirror the system currently used in the F-150 pickup truck. The F-150's version of MyFord Touch relies on physical buttons as well as a touchscreen interface.

“F-150 blends touch screen capability with traditional buttons and knobs, a similar balance planned for future Ford vehicles,” the automaker said in a statement."

People prefer controls they can feel and that don't distract them from driving. Ya think?

My least favorite feature on my Fusion is the "haptic touch" control pad under the screen in my Titanium Fusion. I'm learning to live with it, but it is distracting. It would really be nice if we can retrofit the new control panel into our cars.

Hmm shame. I love not having a whole bunch of buttons and the haptic touch. Guess I'm alone. Glad I have the car I have.

No. You are not alone. Once I applied the NuShield AAA screen protector (that hides the fingerprints), I prefer the Fusion's haptic touch screen to my wife's Lexus with the console mouse/joystick. I'm also pretty happy with the steering wheel and console buttons. And if I don't want to fiddle with the buttons, the voice response is better than the Lexus, as well.

Guess I'm out-voted on this one.

I agree with you guys - I like the touch screen and I also like the voice commands. But there is no way you can use the controls that surround the volume knob without taking your eyes off the road. I would prefer buttons and knobs for the climate control, or the screen, or voice command.

Guest RRF985
The number of times I've used the touch buttons in 3500 miles can be counted on one hand. You still take your eyes off the road for knobs

Exactly. You still have to take yours eyes off the road to operate things. If you want to be truly safe, you should never remove your hands from 10 & 2, and only use voice commands. I really enjoy the lack of actual buttons in this car. Everything can be operated with a light touch. I love that.

Edited by RRF985

Outside of the big volume knob or a big tuning knob, you have to look at small buttons. I can change the climate control, volume, cruise control settings, wipers, track/station, make or receive a phone call, listen to a text message all without taking my hands off the wheel. I change music sources with one button press on the touch screen. Same for the heated seats in winter.

It can't get much simpler than that. What else do you really NEED to do while driving?

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's the same as many other things..................dinosaurs stuck in the tar pit & can't move forward. Human nature, resistant to change.

Prime example - when CVTs 1st came to market complaints followed..............to the point they made them fake a shift so the dim bulb at the wheel would feel comfortable.

Just left 3 years of whining about computer shifted manual transmissions....................transmission is fine, dinosaurs couldn't adapt. Expected it to behave exactly like auto trans.

I'm fine without the buttons, if nothing else it's easy to clean :)

Really funny for the dinos - ALL (repeat that) physical interfaces are going away - it make take some time but it will happen. Adapt or sink into the tar pit, your call.

• Like 1

Easy to clean, but aaaaagghhhh!!! That shiny gloss black finish on the Sony stereos shows every single speck of dust! I need to wipe down my center console every 2-3 days!

Well we were talking buttons - lol - yeah, all that shiny stuff is horrible - really, who thought that was a good idea?

Guest RRF985
Yeah, it's the same as many other things..................dinosaurs stuck in the tar pit & can't move forward. Human nature, resistant to change.

Probably the best analogy. I was trying to come up with something like this. You've hit the nail on the head.

I had piano black center stack in my 06 Fusion for 7 years - nary a problem.

Define problem? :) Shows dust & fingerprints like crazy.........problem for some? Maybe, depends on the individual. Personally I see no point in it, could just as easily been leather or material.

Define problem? :) Shows dust & fingerprints like crazy.........problem for some? Maybe, depends on the individual. Personally I see no point in it, could just as easily been leather or material.

Dust yes. Fingerprints? Nobody ever touched it so never had that problem.

The only reason they have to consider going back to knobs is because the MFT interface is so cluttered and horrible, and the hardware is so bad at recognizing touch, even after numerous attempts to rewrite the software.

Give me an iPad mini in the dash. Write an app or 3 for the vehicle controls and info displays.

We don't need no stinking knobs! ?

Quite honestly, in my opinion, I think its a learning thing just like has been indicated above. At first I was put off by it and so was my wife. However after two months of ownership I really can't say I notice it now. *shrug*. I keep my climate in manual mode to keep the compressor off (1.6 mile drive isn't worth running the AC anyway) and have gotten familiar with feeling for the bottom of the panel and changing fan speed which is all I really need.

The only reason they have to consider going back to knobs is because the MFT interface is so cluttered and horrible, and the hardware is so bad at recognizing touch, even after numerous attempts to rewrite the software.

Hmmm. Seems to respond just fine in my Edge. And really, I don't see where any of the complaints about "clutter" come from when comparing it to what a mess the console would look like if there was a physical button for all the things it controls.

Give me an iPad mini in the dash. Write an app or 3 for the vehicle controls and info displays.

Has been covered ad nauseum in other threads about why automakers don't ever want to allow that to happen.

Oh hell no.............Crapple is so far behind in UI development it ain't funny. Take a look at MS's metro on a phone & it's easy to see how far ahead they really are when it comes to a UI.

One thing Ford could do is come up with a better term. Is MFT the entire package to include the climate etal "hard" controls or is it simply the touch screen? I know I was a bit confused when I 1st bought the car.

While it may not be the best if there is one thing you can say about MS is that they will hammer away until they produce a good product....................maybe late for our cars?

Personally I just don't see it as that bad, far better than many I've seen. Main screen with 4 direct controls is better than many others who use a single screen per function.

Oh hell no.............Crapple is so far behind in UI development it ain't funny. Take a look at MS's metro on a phone & it's easy to see how far ahead they really are when it comes to a UI

I am an apple fan and don't think the interface they bring is far behind. On the other hand, I can see that metro on a tablet or phone is also a good interface.

I'm not opposed to choice. A single display that reacts to touch like apple and Microsoft tablets, ie I don't have to press hard to get a touch to register, and your choice of interface, would be great. As for clutter, there are too many buttons sometimes covering things up, like the map. And the buttons have no distinction other than text.

Like others I have come to live with it and don't think about it much, but I'd go for something better in a heartbeat.

Edited by Iggnutts

Like others I have come to live with it and don't think about it much, but I'd go for something better in a heartbeat.

I'll agree to that, could be better. I just must be an oaf, I've not had a problem with the actual touch.............requires firm, but it's okay. The map is a bit cluttered - but a with anything it's a trade off. If they removed the buttons they'd go where? Might require leaving the screen.

Won't help us much but my guess is MS will continue to hammer away until they get is nice.............eventually, just like Windoze.