Transmission shudder?

Bearcats98

Just curious if anybody else experiences this. When I drive and switch from reverse to drive, I always come to a complete stop before changing the selector. Just my OCD. However when I first hit the gas on a R=>D change the transmission kinda shakes/sudders and then goes. It does not do it on a D=>R. I tends to do it more cold than warm. Anybody else see/experience this type of operation?

Thanks!

Do you park head in or do you back in? I typically back in to parking spaces and in my garage. Try doing that to avoid the shutter issue.

While that's a work around, if its a problem that's not a valid solution. I should not be restricted from using my reverse gear if my transmission is being problematic.

I am wondering if its a fluid issue. Today I did not come to a complete stop I was rolling a little and overcame my OCD and went from R=>D and it didn't do it. I did this as a one off test because I don't want to be putting that unneeded strain on the trans and drive train.

I am actually getting a stutter/hard shift going from 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't happen all the time but it's pretty unnerving for a new car when it does happen. I'm definitely taking it in to get it looked at. I've got enough of a laundry list at this point of things to get fixed.

I would recommend taking it in. More than likely you'll have to leave the car overnight so they can look at it when everything is cold. In the mean time you can back your car in and show off that front end! :spiteful:

Its one of the main reasons I bought it. I love how the front end looks for sure!

I am actually getting a stutter/hard shift going from 2nd to 3rd. Doesn't happen all the time but it's pretty unnerving for a new car when it does happen. I'm definitely taking it in to get it looked at. I've got enough of a laundry list at this point of things to get fixed.

Let us know how that goes for their response on 2=>3 shift. Hopefully it wont get listed as "Cant reproduce".

I'm going to wait for the 3,500mi mark before I start to get worried. I'm guessing the car is still in that learning phase because my shifts are either buttery smooth or the rpm's are held too long and the car bogs like a mistimed shift in a manual car. I have noticed that they're never snappy and precise which makes me wonder if I should start using the paddle shifters to see if there's a big difference.

Only have 1,250mi after almost 2mo.

I back into all my parking spots, but my driveway at home I have to pull into and back out. So I noticed the delay from going from R -> D first thing. I let the car run for probably 10-15sec before backing out but trans fluid will only warm up if the car is being driven or in gear. Could possibly be an IAC issue too but it's too new.

Edited by JScullin

Speaking of 'shudders', I had a weird thing happen to me yesterday. I was driving from Louisville to Cincinnati and about halfway though the ~100 mile drive, I had a warning pop up on the information cluster. It was a image of a wrench with the text "See Owner's Manual". I wasn't able to pull over and check the manual, so I continued on, but from that point on, whenever the transmission downshifted from 6th to 5th, the whole car would shudder. I didn't notice anything unusual about the 5th to 4th shift, and the upshifts seemed fine. When I reached my destination, i checked the manual, and it said that the warning I got indicated a powertrain fault. I turned the car off, and then back on and the light went away. Hours later, I made the drive back home and everything seemed fine. No warning message, no shuddering.

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should be worried. I'm planning to go in for an oil change within the next few hundred miles, so I'll probably mention it to the dealer when I do that.

• 2 weeks later...

Talked to a friend of mine that has a 13 Escape Titanium AWD (roughly 3500 miles). His also does this as well. To me that lends to a programming issue as I don't think the AWD trans and my FWD trans are the same mechanically. He also experiences a hesitation from 10-25 MPH in stop and go type traffic where the transmission seems to hesitate and doesn't change gears.

So what are the odds the 6spd out of the ST's will just match right up when our trannys blow the day after the warranty is up?

I would be in seventh heaven if that would happen! It would be worth the coin to me up front to get a brand new one too! Row your own FOREVER! :banvictory:

However I agree with Mineral...with all the sensors, ECU"s and gizmos attached to the slushbox; highly doubt-able. But we can dream can't we?

I'm getting mine checked out towards the end of next week, I'll let you guys know what they say. I mentioned the R>D shudder as well as the 2>3 gear change issue. It's also going in for a bunch of other stuff as well.

Please keep us updated. And hopefully they have good news for you other than "not able to replicate"

• 2 weeks later...