The NSA-(Just because we REALLY should discuss this)

Put those same top 1% of today's techies into 1960s and see if they could sent men to the moon on a rocket with the computing power of a Casio Calculator watch.

And they did it within the decade. Though, not without a high cost in lives and money.

Fired, there's no way to compare what happens now with then. Different people, time, and tech. The people who gravitated to that type of work might not be the same as now, and with changes to technology you will get eople who are good at this but not that. All in All i assume that if you took wholesale the different generations it would be nearly the same. It might be different tech people than leading us now, but someone would rise to the occasion.

Really? You think todays top 1% of techies is not able to match the previous couple of generations? Don't let your age or nostalgia color your views, that sells them short.

Possibly, but what I've found is today's techies seem to be less able to discern when the computers are giving them wrong answers. The reliance on the work of others puts them at a disadvantage.

No, I don't think everyone should be able to use a slide rule, but when the technology is so intrinsic, a feel for the basics seems to fall by the wayside.

when the technology is so intrinsic, a feel for the basics seems to fall by the wayside.

Like when we blindly obey our technology and ignore reality-following electronic GPS units' directions and forgetting to look out the window at our actual surroundings, or at its most basic level, not being comfortable doing math in our heads because we have been raised to use calculators.

• Like 1

Possibly, but what I've found is today's techies seem to be less able to discern when the computers are giving them wrong answers. The reliance on the work of others puts them at a disadvantage.

No, I don't think everyone should be able to use a slide rule, but when the technology is so intrinsic, a feel for the basics seems to fall by the wayside.

Your talking about the average person not the top people. That's why this debate is silly, as we don't know really what the best and brightest are up to, nor will we ever really know. We get to see bits and pieces and then try to judge whether or not the whole is good enough.

Fired, there's no way to compare what happens now with then. Different people, time, and tech. The people who gravitated to that type of work might not be the same as now, and with changes to technology you will get eople who are good at this but not that. All in All i assume that if you took wholesale the different generations it would be nearly the same. It might be different tech people than leading us now, but someone would rise to the occasion.

And they sent a Mars Mission to it's death because of failure to maintain units integrity....miles to kilometers.

Your talking about the average person not the top people. That's why this debate is silly, as we don't know really what the best and brightest are up to, nor will we ever really know. We get to see bits and pieces and then try to judge whether or not the whole is good enough.

The top 1% technically, usually aren't the ones who see the whole picture, either.

The Steve Jobs of the world don't do, they direct.

I have no idea what you're trying to say or be sarcastic about here.

There's been a spate of those posts.

He may have slipped a cog....missed a bus....left a light on when he stepped out of the house.....got shortchanged when buying a load of bricks.... the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top...forgot his meds......

How after 4 or 5 posts by you and fired about how today's generation couldn't do what others did you can't figure out what my post was about?

As a whole, the skill set of today's generation (of Americans) is lower.

It was you who brought in the top 1%.

I will be happy to discuss, if you care not to deflect.

As a whole, the skill set of today's generation (of Americans) is lower.

It was you who brought in the top 1%.

I will be happy to discuss, if you care not to deflect.

I brought up the top one percent in reference to Fired'ss moon comments. I didn't believe that we were talking in a general sense about rough mechanical ability, so i stayed with those in tech areas.

If your suggesting in general that people are less mechanical, I would agree with that, but in a world where very little is repairable anymore it's easy to understand why.

it is the capitalist dream, where they can sell you gobs of cheap foreign shit to replace the cheap foreign shit that broke that you can't fix even with mechanical ability.

I brought up the top one percent in reference to Fired'ss moon comments. I didn't believe that we were talking in a general sense about rough mechanical ability, so i stayed with those in tech areas.

If your suggesting in general that people are less mechanical, I would agree with that, but in a world where very little is repairable anymore it's easy to understand why.

it is the capitalist dream, where they can sell you gobs of cheap foreign shit to replace the cheap foreign shit that broke that you can't fix even with mechanical ability.

Since this country was founded on essentially capitalistic concepts, feel free to re-locate to one of your oft-cited foreign countries who's political goals are more aligned with your preferences...instead of re-making our country into a copy of them.

Actually, that is not the capitalists' dream.

The capitalists' dream is freedom of trade. It's the people who decide what's important to them; quality/serviceability or cheap.

The problem with being less mechanical, is the loss of analytical ability. I wouldn't suggest that all people should know how to perform a ring job, but the lack of understanding of the fundamentals of an engine or other system seems to go hand in hand with the inability to understand how systems work; be they programs in a computer or something more tangible.

People understand what button to push, but they rely so heavily on the "black box" that they seldom realize when or why they're getting the wrong answer.

Since this country was founded on essentially capitalistic concepts, feel free to re-locate to one of your oft-cited foreign countries who's political goals are more aligned with your preferences...instead of re-making our country into a copy of them.

Since this country was founded on freedom of speech also, feel free to go F*** yourself and I'll feel free to do as I please. If you don't like that go somewhere and found your own country of GOFUCKYOUSELFISTAN where you are free to tell everyone who doesn't agree with YOU to leave.

Besides you know what the dude says about you Walter.

Since this country was founded on freedom of speech also, feel free to go F*** yourself and I'll feel free to do as I please. If you don't like that go somewhere and found your own country of GOFUCKYOUSELFISTAN where you are free to tell everyone who doesn't agree with YOU to leave.

Besides you know what the dude says about you Walter.

Of all the words available, you chose to use many of the basest.

While I defend your right to use vulgar language to simulate puffing up your chest in defiance, you sound more like a Chihuahua. I am disappointed your unable to debate without such gutter talk.

And I suggest there are countries much closer to your ideal. Why do you feel it is necessary to deny the remainder of the citizens and those immigrants who have obeyed the law hoping to become a citizen, the enjoyment of the country the way it is founded to be? And you've lived in Canada for many years. Unless they refuse to let you back in.

And try to read before posting. I am NOT telling you to go anywhere. I said, "feel free to re-locate to one of your oft-cited foreign countries". It's your choice. It's your freedom. Until the next political movement decides you can't do what you feel is your "right"......much as some feel has happened recently.

Beware giving too much freedom to politicians. They are notorious for being influenced by power and money, and not the will of the people who voted for them.

And the next batch may be elected by the "other" party and use those tools against your interests.

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

It's no wonder they don't think of you as a conservative, you don't believe in their God and the silliness that the 50-60's were a much better time and we should return to them.

Oh, there's certainly some longing for the "simpler times", but yeah, the trade-off would be too significant to truly ever go back to the way it was.