The NSA-(Just because we REALLY should discuss this)

On a lighter note....

What will democrats say when the NSA starts sharing phone metadata with the Tea Party president after the 2016 election?

Will they be as disinclined to be outraged?

The TEA party president? If by lighter you mean trying to make us laugh our asses off then yes, it is lighter. There will be no bagger president simply because without the christian wing of the GOP you can't win and I've been assured here that the Tea Party is not about religion. Or was that a lie and the Tea Party is really a front for Christian conservatives to advance their single religion beliefs under the guise of less taxes and hating Obama? Did you see the last two major tea party types that ran outside of the south? The one in Alaska lost on a write in vote and hangs around with domestic terrorists and in New York that guy was hampered by emails that made Paula Deen look like a angel.

The TEA party president? If by lighter you mean trying to make us laugh our asses off then yes, it is lighter. There will be no bagger president simply because without the christian wing of the GOP you can't win and I've been assured here that the Tea Party is not about religion. Or was that a lie and the Tea Party is really a front for Christian conservatives to advance their single religion beliefs under the guise of less taxes and hating Obama? Did you see the last two major tea party types that ran outside of the south? The one in Alaska lost on a write in vote and hangs around with domestic terrorists and in New York that guy was hampered by emails that made Paula Deen look like a angel.

So this guy is hanging out with bill ayers?........ oh wait that was obama...my bad.

So this guy is hanging out with bill ayers?........ oh wait that was obama...my bad.

LOL. No, Obama wasn't even in Michigan, Chicago or Greenwich village at that age. We are talking about a man running for Senate and was connected to a domestci threat who just got 26 years. But he denies that they are friends.

Schadenfreude is so exquisite.

The consequences of the GOP's Neo-Con operation, Piss Off the World, continue.

Let's see now, the foreign ministries and political CEOs (titles vary) of 1) Hong Kong, 2) China, 3) Russia, 4) Ecuador and probably 5) Iceland, and 6) Cuba have essentially said no to the Amerikanskis, either specifically (H-K) or by just being glacially slow to do anything at all, except have a relatively organized reception for him at the airport outside Moscow.

Now, the question is, will the Oval Office and State learn anything from this?

As well, as long as Snowden remains free, the US can't do the full nasty on Bradley Manning when it comes to sentencing, IMHO. And with Snowden free, the media fixation on Snowden will turn back to Manning.

The stupid part is that Obama and the Democrats do not have the smarts to see that 90% of the Manning files relate to GOP law-breaking, essentially, and anything that might be his watch's problem can be explained as inheriting a GOP-built system that took time to fight. Obama should be promoting him with a Silver Star or Congressional Medal of Honor, and use him to pound the GOP and their accomplices (Blackwater, Booz Hamilton, etc.).

But anyway, what a delightful Solstice Present! :)

• 1 month later...

Is there no one else concerned our government is doing such things at this?

XKeyscore: NSA tool collects 'nearly everything a user does on the internet'

So much for those who poo-poohed the difficulty in spying on everyone. Granted, this story reveals there is a three-day window to extract full details, we now know NSA data collections include every e-mail, chat, text message and phone call.

For those who find no problem with such spying, I ask, "How do you feel about a camera in your bedroom or bathroom?"

There's a common phrase we see on our company computers, paraphrasing, "You can have no expectation of privacy."

Do you think you have ANY privacy today?

1. Your mail is photographed. Every piece. Allowing documenting all interactions you have with any other entity through the mail.
  2. Your online activities are archived. Even when using encrypted https: connections to your bank, the government is saving the encryption codes that are usually discarded after 6 months. So, yes, the have to wait 6 months to decrypt your banking transaction history.
  3. Your cellphone locates you to a small sphere of probable location...without GPS services. If you have GPS on your phone, they can locate you within several feet....at any time.
  4. They can remotely activate your cellphone microphone or web cam.....at any time, without any evidence visible to the user. No indicator lamp, no lights on the keypad......At least Android phones allow you to remove the battery. I-phones..........your always vulnerable.
  5. Your browsing history is watched. Google pressure cookers and back packs and you'll have to expect your door may be busted down.
  6. They can legally place a hidden GPS on your car and track your location over a long period of time. And build a profile of your activities.

All this with no court order.

Gone are the days when only targeted individuals, held under suspicion of criminal activity, could only be placed under wire-tapping and mail examination and then only under a judges court order. Worst yet, if there is a "court order", FISA courts are secret and any mis-carriage of justice never sees the light of day.

Today, every human, American or not, is spied on. And essentially any low level NSA terminal operator can hack anything you do online with little more than an email address. No administrative oversight or court order.

BTW, the I.R.S. is in charge of you qualifying for or being penalized for you failing to purchase a health care plan.

Sleep well. Just don't consider if the government is using their drones to watch your body heat signature to determine if you ARE asleep.

Is there no one else concerned our government is doing such things at this?

XKeyscore: NSA tool collects 'nearly everything a user does on the internet'

NOPE......I'm not concerned. Can't stop, it won't stop and I'm not doing anything remotely embarassing or secret that if revealed would affect me.

People worried are simply people who have a reason to be worried.

NOPE......I'm not concerned. Can't stop, it won't stop and I'm not doing anything remotely embarassing or secret that if revealed would affect me.

People worried are simply people who have a reason to be worried.

Do you see the irony that the same people who say you have no reason to hide what you are doing,......are hiding what they are doing (NSA, CIA, FBI, FISA....)!

I am not all that interesting to the government, but, wasn't one of the principal protections this government was of "one's papers"?

Today, do you think there remains any practical "privacy"? With traffic cameras, GPS, tag readers on police cars, and the above mentioned items, you have none. Oh, yes, don't forget the TSA and their body scanners.

How's it feel to think your teenage daughter's cellphone camera and microphone can be activated by a perv in the NSA to watch her dress in the morning as she is talking to her girlfriend? Sure, you have nothing to hide, but no one else has the option as long as no one objects to these practices.

• 2 weeks later...

What are you suggesting with..

Please make a point of studying the chart. Note the relative majority of violations from "Presidential Executive Order Violations"

We tolerate too much from our Executive.......

That means what to you? To me it means that the NSA violated executive orders although I'm getting a feeling that you have something else in mind.

What are you suggesting with..

That means what to you? To me it means that the NSA violated executive orders although I'm getting a feeling that you have something else in mind.

I read it as violations that occurred because of Presidential Executive Orders were issued that were violations of the rules for surveillance of Americans. Most people would understand the chart, where you see it as showing "incidents" where the NSA violated the Presidential Executive Order though the definitions and the chart states it is the Presidential Executive Order that violates the rules of surveillance of Americans.

I say po-TA-toe you say po-TAH-toe.

An extension of these issues......

Google is on record stating their e-mail users have "no expectation of privacy". Eerily reminiscent of Ford's network log-on disclaimer.

Just as a sender of a letter to a business colleague cannot be surprised that the recipient’s assistant opens the letter, people who use web-based email today cannot be surprised if their communications are processed by the recipient’s ECS (electronic communication service) provider in the course of delivery. Indeed, “a person has no legitimate expectation of privacy in information he voluntarily turns over to third parties.”

On Ford's computers, networks and their dime, it isn't too unreasonable to accept that we are subject to monitoring while online.

But what of Google? Ok. It's their service. But, that's not their argument. It is the concept that since you are sending your message through their system and the address of the recipient must be read for delivery, they can read your message...as anyone else can, as well. Essentially, the post office can read your mail because you put an address on it.

So, this and the multiple other privacy issues that have cropped up lately have prompted me to ask this question of everyone here.

Where do you think you DO HAVE an expectation of privacy.

(Likely, you have less than you think. And you don't have it where you think you do.)

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

Where do you think you DO HAVE an expectation of privacy.

(Likely, you have less than you think. And you don't have it where you think you do.)

Cell phone? No. Obviously

Netflix rentals? No. Your customer records can and have been subject to court orders and NSA National Security Letters

Driving down the road? No. Tag readers and traffic cams record everything.

Buying groceries at the store? No. If you purchase with a card or store points card, they record your transactions....which are subject to NSA and court orders.

Email? No DUH!

Your bedroom? No. NYC has exonerated a photographer who sold prints of his neighbor and her children during their day-to-day lives, from his high-rise to the neighbors. Without their knowledge. "Because it's art".

Cellphone GPS tracking.

One on one conversation with your neighbor, co-worker or passerby? No! Many states allow "one party" recording.

Walking through a clothing store that offers Wi-Fi tracks your movements through the store. Where you go and how long you linger. Data subject to the same records orders.

Google Glass wearers..........................

I could go on.

But where do you draw the line that enough is enough? Your daughters laptop webcam? When she is dressing for school?

I read it as violations that occurred because of Presidential Executive Orders were issued that were violations of the rules for surveillance of Americans. Most people would understand the chart, where you see it as showing "incidents" where the NSA violated the Presidential Executive Order though the definitions and the chart states it is the Presidential Executive Order that violates the rules of surveillance of Americans.

I say po-TA-toe you say po-TAH-toe.

Well, I read it as NSA violations of presidential executive orders not the other way around like you do. That's probably because I don't have a anti-Obama bias and don't look at everything through your jaded eyes.

Langston, don't be surprised if one day you wake up and realize that the people you have been supporting have an agenda that terrifies you. How much individual liberty will you be willing to sacrifice? Do you really think it will be okay in the long run if government officials can watch your every move: step away from the soda fountain and put down that big gulp.

Langston, don't be surprised if one day you wake up and realize that the people you have been supporting have an agenda that terrifies you. How much individual liberty will you be willing to sacrifice? Do you really think it will be okay in the long run if government officials can watch your every move: step away from the soda fountain and put down that big gulp.

After the Bush era programs my give a damn broke. I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

After the Bush era programs my give a damn broke. I wouldn't be surprised at anything.

You're being disingenuous. Your "give a damn" survives today to defend the current administration with such profound defenses as

"Well Bush did it ______________.

Fill in the blank (too, first, worse, longer, costlier, inhumanely).

And it quits after that.

So you were all against what Bush did, as you state, but you don't give a damn if Obama does it.

You just showed how shallow you are. And a sycophant.

• Like 1