For the Next Mustang, Ford Looks to the Past

http://wallstcheatsheet.com/stocks/for-the-next-mustang-ford-looks-to-the-past.html/

Now, Ford is asking Mustang enthusiasts if aspects of the original Mustang concept should be incorporated into future Mustang models. While nearly every generation of Mustang since 1964 has used the traditional muscle car layout to some degree, the inclusion and styling cues of the concept would dramatically diverge from what the Mustang has become.

In a way, altering the formula for the current Mustang to more closely resemble the original concept can be seen as taking the model back to its roots. However, Ford faces a slight dilemma if it veers too far when incorporating the concept into today’s iteration: the original was more suited to compete with the Chevrolet (NYSE:GM) Corvette, which had been road-going since the 1950s. Given that Ford still does not have a direct contender, is it possible that the company is seeking to bridge that gap?

Ford_Mustang_I_drawing-1024x609.jpg

Edited by mettech

Now, Ford is asking Mustang enthusiasts if aspects of the original Mustang concept should be incorporated into future Mustang models. While nearly every generation of Mustang since 1964 has used the traditional muscle car layout to some degree, the inclusion and styling cues of the concept would dramatically diverge from what the Mustang has become.

What a crock of shit...the design of the new Mustang is locked in already...the only reason they might be doing this is prepare people for a somewhat radical change...but from what the camo'ed prototypes and the lack of ability to do a serious redo design wise since its being built on a modified platform of the current car indicates to me that while the new car will look significantly different than the current one, it still have the design cues of a Mustang...long hood, short deck and some sort of side sculpting that will incorporate side scoops or hint at them...

• Like 3

In a way, altering the formula for the current Mustang to more closely resemble the original concept can be seen as taking the model back to its roots. However, Ford faces a slight dilemma if it veers too far when incorporating the concept into today’s iteration: the original was more suited to compete with the Chevrolet (NYSE:GM) Corvette, which had been road-going since the 1950s. Given that Ford still does not have a direct contender, is it possible that the company is seeking to bridge that gap?

Yep, design is locked in.

A solicitation -- or --another way of saying, 'we delivered what you asked for'?? If it's a 'hit', we win, if its a 'miss', that's you asked for?

Maybe somebody's just a bit nervous -- there's a lot on the line.

Duplicate post

Edited by Consult1

I was one of those who were excited over the appearance of the Mustang I. Of course back then, any information, pictures, etc. of automobiles; and coverage of motorsports was gained largely through magazines. I still have a basement full of file cabinets filled with car magazines dating back to the mid fifties. If there was an article about a Ford, or a Ford on the cover, I bought it. There was a lot of print about the Mustang I; and I was hoping for the production car to be closer to it. When the Mustang II prototype was revealed; it was a little disappointing to see the departure from the two-seat sports car layout. However, that did not stop me from eventually ordering a 65 Fastback GT.

More filler to pass the time while we wait for the unveil...

We are what 10 months out before the official relieve and I'm already tired of the "hype" of it all...but that is mostly from various website reposting the same crap over and over again...or making a big deal over what it sounds like (like the current car for crying out loud!) Seriously!

Yep, design is locked in.

A solicitation -- or --another way of saying, 'we delivered what you asked for'?? If it's a 'hit', we win, if its a 'miss', that's you asked for?

Maybe somebody's just a bit nervous -- there's a lot on the line.

I remember a couple of yars ago when Jay Mays said that Ford would be taking Mustang and its buyers on a "journey".

That to me says change but not in the radical way the OP suggests. Sales of Mustang are now considerably lower than

they were for the 2005 model so I doubt that there's any justification for spending excessivly on a niche product

outside of an expanded role in Lincoln. ...And I don't believe that Ford is planning a new RWD sedan extension of it either.

Sales of Mustang are now considerably lower than they were for the 2005 model so I doubt that there's any justification for spending excessively on a niche product

Just to point out a couple things...there wasn't any excuse to spend the money they did on developing a brand new RWD platform on the 2005 Mustang either, but they did it. As far as I know, the platform has been profitable for Ford, even though they did do that.

As for sales numbers, well look at the economy then vs now....the Mustang had some of its best sales numbers in a long time after the 2005 came out. Add in the Great Recession and increased competition against the Mustang and thats why the sales seem so low now....and the car has had a pretty significant base price increase (IIRC in 2009 the base price of the GT was the same price as my almost loaded 2006 GT I have), which is offset partly by offering more options and nicer materials at that said price point. I think sales expectations in the 80-100K range for the Mustang now aren't unreasonable.

Then finally...the Mustang is the most important nameplate for FMC...its more or less its halo car for the brand. If Ford can break even or make some $$$, I don't see an issue with them keeping speeding money on it. It shares its engines with the F-150 and I'm going to assume the Fusion when it comes to getting an Ecoboost I4. I'm sure its also going to be sharing alot of with the Fusion going forward under the skin where it can too...since its going to be sharing the same assembly plant in the future.

Hardly.It's neat for their image and heritage

That's the point I was making...if they didn't have a Mustang, they'd be as boring as Toyota or Honada. Ford has lots of heritage because of the Mustang. You'd think they would like to keep that around.

I never said it was critical for the health of the company. I can understand if they need to can it if they can't afford it, but if it can break even at the least, why not keep it around.

Just to point out a couple things...there wasn't any excuse to spend the money they did on developing a brand new RWD platform on the 2005 Mustang either, but they did it. As far as I know, the platform has been profitable for Ford, even though they did do that.

As for sales numbers, well look at the economy then vs now....the Mustang had some of its best sales numbers in a long time after the 2005 came out. Add in the Great Recession and increased competition against the Mustang and thats why the sales seem so low now....and the car has had a pretty significant base price increase (IIRC in 2009 the base price of the GT was the same price as my almost loaded 2006 GT I have), which is offset partly by offering more options and nicer materials at that said price point. I think sales expectations in the 80-100K range for the Mustang now aren't unreasonable.

Then finally...the Mustang is the most important nameplate for FMC...its more or less its halo car for the brand. If Ford can break even or make some $$$, I don't see an issue with them keeping speeding money on it. It shares its engines with the F-150 and I'm going to assume the Fusion when it comes to getting an Ecoboost I4. I'm sure its also going to be sharing alot of with the Fusion going forward under the skin where it can too...since its going to be sharing the same assembly plant in the future.

Good post but that's what I'm on about, sharing as much as possible with other vehicles.

So while S550 is a new platform in terms of parts changed over S197, it's hardly done from scratch but clearly calling it an evolution

really doesn't do credit to all the changes and hard work being put in to make it look all new while Ford tries to retain as many existing

build processes and common supplier parts adaptations as possible. I look forward to Ford showing us how to do an up to date RWD

platform without blowing out the budget.

So much of what is a Mustang is made up by road presence, sight, sound, interior, handling and performance.

Mind you, I wouldn't object to another project for a smaller mid engined two seater RWD sports car that uses

a transverse mounted Ecoboost I-4, steering and suspension components from the FWD parts bin.

Edited by jpd80

That's the point I was making...if they didn't have a Mustang, they'd be as boring as Toyota or Honada. Ford has lots of heritage because of the Mustang. You'd think they would like to keep that around. I never said it was critical for the health of the company. I can understand if they need to can it if they can't afford it, but if it can break even at the least, why not keep it around.

True. As long as the Mustang can support itself it'll stick around. It's a good image car, even if it's not a very important one. It's a similar role that the Corvette plays for GM. It's entirely unnecessary, but it has intangible benefits as long as it is profitable.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Just came back from Disneyland.

Just sayin', the Autotopia Cars look ALOT like that Mustang 1 concept car!

I posted a long time ago that the next gen. Mustang platform should have a shortened variation intended for Thunderbird aka Corvette class.

The 2+2 version would serve Mustang, the shortened version for a Thunderbird Roadster (and a Lincoln Mark 9 roadster).

The top of the line Thunderbird would be an SVT version capable of competing with Corvettes, while the rest designed for classy personal fun (aka Buick Reatta).