Power Question - Hybrid vs. Ecoboost

Greetings 2013 MKZ Owners!

I have a question for you. I'm thinking very seriously about soon joining your ranks as a new MKZ owner and just wanted some feedback on the pivotal Hybrid vs. Non-Hybrid - a.k.a. "power vs. mpg" issue.

I've test driven all three engine models a couple of weeks ago and of course the 3.7L V6 was punchy and fast. But I'm VERY interested in fuel economy. So I would eliminate the V6 probably and narrow my choices down to the 2.0L Turbo Ecoboost and the 2.0L Hybrid. In my short test-drive of both I thought the Ecoboost was a plenty of power and accelerated quickly and quite nicely - not that much under the V6. And when driving the Hybrid - though I was prepared for it to be a little less so, I thought it was more sluggish than I expected. I realize those were quick test drives and I was still getting acclimated to the cars and the features, layout, etc.. So I already know I need to go back and test drive each again for a much longer time period. I'm even inquiring with my local dealer about the "Date Night" program where I could get one for 24-48 hours to really get a feel for it.

Which brings me (finally) to my question. Those of you who have purchased a Hybrid, did you do so just for the MPG? Did you feel like you were giving up some power for the much better fuel economy? Or do you really feel that the Hybrid motor isn't that under-powered vs. the Ecoboost?

I WANT to like the Hybrid and want the greater fuel economy. But for the past 30 years I've driven sports cars and vehicles with big powerful motors and tend to drive quick and fast as a driver. I know I've been paying for that in poor gas mileage due to the cars AND my driving habits. And I know to get the best MPG, I would have to change and not be as much of a "lead-foot" (and the Hybrid MKZ could be the car to teach/train me in that regard). But I'm just not sure at this point which would be the best engine choice for me. I guess I'm lamenting over whether to go all in on the Hybrid and not have as much raw horsepower & torque on tap or to go a little in with just the Ecoboost and still have the pep and torque of that 2.0L Turbo.

Any thoughts from owners who may have already settled this question for themselves and how they feel about it now??

Many thanks!

Ron

While not yet an owner (I will likely be ordering within the next few weeks), I face a near identical situation. My current Saab Turbo-X is an almost perfect compromise car. AWD, luxurious, blisteringly fast, manual tranmission, and a wagon. The problem now is that there is no more Saab motor company, and every repair now is an expensive adventure in parts tracking. For a 100,000 mile vehicle, that's not fun...

The MKZ Hybrid I'm looking to buy is a, ah, very relaxed sedan to drive in comparison. Here were my rationalizations for choosing the Hybrid over the punchier V6:

• My metro area is so traffic drenched that I can barely ever appreciate the performance abilities of my current car. Better to have a super high MPG, relaxed ride...
  • I feel the hybrid is the best personality match for the MKZ overall...
  • Also, frankly, if I want bleeding edge performance and handling that badly, I'm probably choosing the wrong car altogether and should be shopping for an ATS or used CTS-V...
  • If I do miss high-spirited driving, then I can take solace in the fact that excellent used performance cars (sedans and outright sports cars) are a dime a dozen and, with the money I'd save per year on gas with my commute with an MKZ hybrid given the miles I drive, I could certainly save to buy a pre-owned high performance vehicle for the occasional weekend sprint when I need my sports car itch scratched (an older Impreza WRX or Evo should do the trick if I really desire).

So those are my feelings. Whether you buy the 4 cylinder or the hybrid, in the end, the MKZ is a relaxed cruiser with a capable platform. In day to day driving on the highway or around town, the difference in the car's personality will be minimal, so why not rack up the MPG?

That's my thinking...

PS: I recently drove a loaded Buick Verano Turbo. I don't love GM, but I must say, I was really impressed. A great drive, good handling, lots of power, incredibly comfortable seats, good mileage, stuffed with comfort and convenience features, and not terrible looking for a reasonable price. I think the MKZ feels and looks at least a decade ahead of the Buick, but the Verano is undoubtedly the better drive and I would fault no one for buying one. Also available with a manual.

there are a number of new or next-gen engines coming - not sure how soon (1-2-3 years)

and just imho & totally unofficial,

the Z will get SEVERAL of them as upgrades, including the Hybrid

so

imho it may depend on how long you keep your cars

I don't need a wheely when pulling out.There is more than enough power to get out on the highway in my highbred.Sure,my wife's Volvo S80 300hp accelerates faster,but I don't need that.

I'm very happy with the hybrid.

Going to the next town yesterday for kickboxing class,I got 52.3mpg on that 17.5 mile trip.

I have had my '13 MKZ Hybrid about 3 weeks now (took delivery on 20 June 2013) and I am very happy with my car's acceleration although I must acknowledge that I've never been a lead-footed driver. So far, I've not had reason to "floor it" due to some dangerous situation. Given that I have only a little more than 1000 miles on my new car, I'm trying to baby the engine a bit during the first couple thousand miles.

However, relatively soon, I'll be going on vacation, putting 1000+ miles on it within a week, so I'm anxious to see what my mileage will be like and presumably at some point during that time I'll have need to accelerate very quickly.

I have read that you'll get more pep from the gasoline engine if you use premium fuel. For that reason, in the very few fill-ups I've done so far, I've put 91 octane in it. I'm not sure if I will continue to use 91 octane but probably will during the upcoming vacation road trip. Later, as I settle in to mostly in-town driving, I may back off to "regular" or 87 octane (or maybe "mid-grade" or 89 octane).

murphy62, thank you for the link (I like "Car Talk" and listen to it often). However--and I can't remember where I read this, perhaps it was in one of the many reviews I read of the MKZ Hybrid--I think I read that the EPA testing of the MKZ by Lincoln was done with 91 octane gasoline. Still, I thank you for the link.

I have a hybrid. I have driven both. The difference is not that noticable. The electric section of the hybrid provides a lot of kick on the low end where you feel it. If you are buying the car for comfort and mileage get the hybrid and change you driving habits!!! It is (unbelievably) the same price as the straight gas although it costs Lincoln about $1600 more to make it. If you have to have the power and punch of a sports car buy something else and pay double for your gas. Or else do what I have done, I have an Austin Healy with a 351W Ford Racing Engine in it. A 2500# car with 360 HP. Oh yeah, 12 mpg....

If you want more power from you gasoline then forget 91 or 93 octane. It costs more and does nothing. Go out and find a station that sells non-ethanol gas, that does contain more hp per gal.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...