Ford to offer free updates to boost hybrid vehicle efficiency

chuckokie36

After driving a bit on the freeway tonight, it seems that the reprogramming has made the system more responsive than before.

I'm assuming that they eliminated a lot of overhead code, because the speed of the cchanges in the display has increased, and the instant MPG gauge seems to flicker more quickly, meaning it's more responsive to changes in the car's condition.

Also, the car goes into EV mode at 75 MPH, mostly when coasting downhill or decelerating.

Since resetting my lifetime average MPG (which was 34.8, I can already see that it's adding a few MPG already, after about 75 miles of driving today. I'm at 38 so far, and that includes stop-and-go as well as uphill/downhill.

Had to go in to work this evening to let a contractor in for some work that needed doing. Left at about 7PM, temps were pleasant, so didn't need the AC, just cracked a window.

Took the freeway going in - got close to 80MPH with the EV mode kicking in when able. 19.9 mile trip, 49.7MPG.

Going home on surface streets, 14.8 miles, 49.9MPG.

Also discovered a new feature - on the main display between the Home and Settings buttons there's a new button with the Hybrid Logo. Touch that and you get a schematic view showing the flow of power to/from the battery, electric motor and engine, and what is drawing power. Also tells you why the engine is running if it is, e.g., acceleration.

Wondering what else I'm going to discover!

Have you noticed any reduction in acceleration or general performance? I called the dealership today and they hinted at the fact that it may limited some performance factors ...

We have guinea pig tester thread on the FFHForum check it out.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7238-ford-fuel-efficiency-update-guinea-pig-testers/page-7?do=findComment&comment=62332

I had mine done this morning and so far I'm very satisfied but I didn't have much to gain either. It would be really nice to see an improvement on your car nmadole!

If anything, I would say the car is slightly easier to keep in EV mode when accelerating from being stopped. On the other hand it seems a bit harsher in its assessment of my driving - the bar chart that shows Acceleration, Braking and Cruising efficiency seems to have marked me down for acceleration.

Of course, this is all very subjective and hardly a scientific study.

What else can I say? I'm happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...
I went the speed limit for a road trip and for my daily commute and only managed 40MPG. I tried going 62MPH for my commute today and saw 50MPG. I will post again with results after two tanks maxing at 62MPH.

50 mpg? That's impossible!

/sarcasm

I've had my 2013 FFH for more than 9 months now. During that time it has never let me down, but the average MPG has been 37.2, which has mainly been due to my spending most of my time at 65-75 mph. With the new software, I am now averaging 43.8 mpg. I am consistently getting more than a 6 mpg increase on most of my trips. EV time above 65 mph on level or slight down slope freeways is the biggest contributing factor. It also seems to go into EV earier on city streets.

• 2 months later...