Ford plans to improve hybrids' mpg with software changes

There does not need to be a special hybrid test. Ford Hybrids (Fusion specifically) did not have any issues meeting their advertised numbers from 2010-2012. Any issues with the test affect both hybrids and non-hybrids. The issues is more the vehicle.

Not this bullshit again. The 2010-2012 hybrid can only go around 45 mph in electric mode - the 2013 can go 62 before the software update. That alone is a huge change. We have folks here who are getting more than 47 mpg with a hybrid (because they know how to drive a hybrid, it's summertime and the engine is fully broken in) and that anecdotal evidence is just as strong as your anecdotal evidence to the contrary.

And you wonder why you get labeled a negatard......

My point exactly!

Okay, I see your point about the need of having the A/C engaged constantly will have a (negative) effect on fuel economy in regards to my expectations with my new C-MAX Hybrid as well as heavy traffic and stopping at intersections. Mind you, I was`nt "bashing" or being overly critical (yet) about the MPG I`ve been able to obtain achieve to date. My mentioning the previous MPG of my "non-hybrid" Fiesta was just that it too had the A/C engaged constantly and was driven (aggressively) under the identical driving conditions and always averaged 33-35 city and 41-43 highway. Time will tell as well as future Softwear Updates to improve average fuel economy efficiencies.

I see a lot of you quoting your vehicle's city vs highway mileage. How can you separate the two?

Not sure you can but that is the beauty of this car ( at least I thought) it listed at 45 /45/ 45 so it all should be the same. I am not digging into the EPA discussion however part of the reason I purchased mine was for the 45 stated. I did not understand the EPA testing at the time, still not sure but my sales person never stated anything less in the process either. In fact he did mention a benefit of this car was the MPG for this size car. Had to do with the newer type battery system I seem to remember. I average around 38 with mostly city driving , a bit more for hwy -

I see a lot of you quoting your vehicle's city vs highway mileage. How can you separate the two?

I can usually separate my Fuel Economy from City to Highway very easily regardless of what Vehicle I`m driving. A tank of gasoline that is driven in strictly stop and go City conditions versus a tank of gasoline that was used during strictly Highway driving. Miles driven with gallons of fuel consumed = MPG? If it is (mixed) driving conditions, that would be a presumable (average), I would think?

I can usually separate my Fuel Economy from City to Highway very easily regardless of what Vehicle I`m driving. A tank of gasoline that is driven in strictly stop and go City conditions versus a tank of gasoline that was used during strictly Highway driving. Miles driven with gallons of fuel consumed = MPG? If it is (mixed) driving conditions, that would be a presumable (average), I would think?

But most people don't drive an entire tank in just city or just highway conditions.

You can always reset the current mpg on a per trip basis to get a good idea.

But most people don't drive an entire tank in just city or just highway conditions.

You can always reset the current mpg on a per trip basis to get a good idea.

Perhaps, I know that for myself, I often end up using an entire tank of fuel without going on the highway and simply doing errands and in city shopping and Dr appointments. Other times, I take a trip out of town taking 2 or 3 hours of strictly highway driving, I gas up before heading unto the Interstate and gas up as soon as I exit and top off to do a mileage check when I care to to compare Fuel Economy between City and Highway. I understand, if you don`t "top" off that way, you will (muddy) the results and get a combination average of both conditions.