2012 Focus has an Issue

97svtgoin05gt

Weeks after touting the 2012 Focus SEL as possibly the ultimate commuter tool, I now have an issue with the car that while unknown at the moment may be something serious. While driving it the car will emit a very strange scraping or grinding sound intermittently. The sound and issue can be felt through the wheel as you hold it. I have no idea what the heck it is, this sound is unlike anything I've heard come from a car. It only does it while moving and is coming from the drivers side under the hood. I brief inspection last night with a flashlight provided no additional clues as to what it may be. Nothing physically looks out of place or any issue or fluid leaks at all. I am fearful this may be a DCT problem. Dropping the car off tonight for diagnosis and repair.

Dealership service management is fighting for a replacement unit on my car. The original unit had metal shavings and debris in the fluid and service management feels it wouldn't be prudent to try to revive it. Ford isn't completely in agreement yet but may be there by the end of the day today. No matter how you slice it, I won't see this car until August.

Surprise surprise! Damn auto transmissions!

The DSP6 isn't exactly an automatic transmission. It is an automatically shifted manual transmission that Ford has unsuccessfully tried to make feel exactly like a conventional automatic.

My '12 Focus does the same thing. It's mostly at lower speeds for me, while accelerating. I drive a ton, to work, and am starting school in 3 weeks; I can't afford to have my car sit at the dealership for a month; I HAVE to have a vehicle, and I'm not old enough to rent one, much less have the money to.

Did they say why it will take so long?

Replacement of the entire unit has been approved by Ford and will be ordered tomorrow. I can't expect the car back until next week. It will take about 3 days for the new trans to arrive from Ford (Detroit) and then the installation process which I don't want to rush. Get it right, we'll deal with it. I believe there probably is about 3 or so full days of delay involved in this process due to dealership/Ford posturing issues and doing the dance with regard to repair or replace. There definitely is a process involved, Ford won't just throw out a transmission unless the dealership provides a lot of good background as to why they believe that is the best course of action. Thankfully this dealership is doing a good job handling Ford.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was diagnosed as the clutch. Dropped it off Friday, 8/09 and they said it should be ready by Tuesday, 8/13.

It's odd that though we had the same symptoms, your entire trans was replaced and they're only replacing my clutch. Hmm. We'll see how it does when I get it back, I suppose.

Efy, I was told I had "shavings in my fluid" which of course means metal particulate matter was cycling through the fluid for some time. The amount of total damage done would be difficult if not impossible to really gauge so they elected to not mess around. Your circumstances may be different. One thing I think I can say with authority at this point, it seems the DCT is a bust in the new Focus. I hope they move away from it and give us a good 6 speed.

Efy, I was told I had "shavings in my fluid" which of course means metal particulate matter was cycling through the fluid for some time. The amount of total damage done would be difficult if not impossible to really gauge so they elected to not mess around. Your circumstances may be different. One thing I think I can say with authority at this point, it seems the DCT is a bust in the new Focus. I hope they move away from it and give us a good 6 speed.

Agreed. Good in theory, horrible in execution. Should never have made it to production.

Blk, it seems to be fine. You know how this works though. Whenever I drive that car now, all I can do is observe the transmission performance, constantly trying to detect some defect. Its like it has a stigma now, that I have a pre-conceived notion that it will at some point fail again. I'm trying to pull against these feelings but it is difficult. The unit appears to be functioning normally though and for that I'm glad.

Right. The issue I was experiencing before- it is slowly but surely coming back, though not yet as bad as before. But, now, every now and then, it'll make an awful grinding noise while shifting from 3-4 (I believe) while accelerating. It'll act like it's temporarily hung up mid-shift or something while making the noise.

Grr.

Long road trip this weekend, so maybe it'll hold up until next week when I make another appointment. :banghead:

Edited by efy

Nah, it sounds exactly like someone driving a stick shift and grinding the gears, although maybe not quite as loud, but the sound is exactly that. Maybe even similar to a rocks-rattling-in-a-metal-barrel sound. It's definitely worse when the car has been driven for a while, and the performance/smoothness/responsiveness gets worse and worse as time goes on.

Right after the clutch replacement, it sounded fine and was smooth as silk the first few days. Then the sound started to reappear, and now I can tell the performance of the transmission is declining (sloppier/rougher shifts, less responsive, not being in the right gear, more jerkiness, etc.).