Engine break-in on a new ford?

So I am picking up a new Flex this week with the non-ecoboost 3.5. Our family has a Florida trip planned for the following week. Do you guys think its a bad idea to take off on a 2000 mile trip in a brand new car? I've read lots of varying opinions on it. Some say low revs and no constant speed for the first 500 miles. Some say new engines dont require anything like that anymore. I respect your guy's opinion around here and was wondering what you all think/know.

Edited by mnm

So I am picking up a new Flex this week with the non-ecoboost 3.5. Our family has a Florida trip planned for the following week. Do you guys think its a bad idea to take off on a 2000 mile trip in a brand new car? I've read lots of varying opinions on it. Some say low revs and no constant speed for the first 500 miles. Some say don't new engines do require anything like that anymore. I respect your guy's opinion around here and was wondering what you all think/know.

No problem at all. Just vary your speed a little and stop briefly every hour for the first 500 miles.

If it has overdrive lockout, from the day you pick it up to the day you leave on your trip, drive with the OD lockout on for all your non-highway driving. Might help it break in a little bit more. I like getting the oil changed at 500 miles, just to get any manufacturing and break-in debris out. I realize it's not necessary, but I do it for good piece of mind. That's about all you could do...

Thanks for the advice guys! Kinda off topic.....I dont have the manual yet because I dont have the car yet because I cant take delivery of the car yet because it cant be released until it gets the fuel system leak recall fixed....breath..haha. I went to look at the Flex a month ago but they told me the car cant be sold or driven until the potential fuel leak problem is fixed. The problem is there arent any spare parts to fix the unsold cars on the lots. But customer cars will be fixed first. So....if I wanted a flex, I had to buy it, then the car would jump to the top of the list to be fixed. The dealer did offer me a loaner Fusion to drive until the Flex is ready. But ill tell ya....its a major bummer to throw down a big load of money and sign all the papers and have to leave the dealer in a loaner car...haha!

Parts for the fuel pump recall are starting to hit dealers faster now. If the dealer calls the recall hotline and faxes the sales contract, then the parts will be expedited for your flex faster. Most for us last week was only 2 days for parts on leakers or sold units.