Rear LED's

Escapism

So I'm about to pull the trigger and order a set of rear LED light from the UK. They are for the Titanium X Kuga. I believe 12 volts is pretty standard worldwide(can't believe the US didn't do this differently as well). Does anyone have any input on why this might NOT work. The body styles look exactly the same. I wonder where the Escapes and Kugas sheet metal is fabricated?? We're the dies cast from the same lot?? Chime in folks. FYI, I'm dealing with Trevor, who is in BC Canada. He orders all the European car parts for Canada.

Good luck Escapism. Please keep the rest of us posted. I am not an EE but electrical circuits are designed to operate within specific tolerances. An LED substitution for incandescent should be possible but it may not be just a simple replacement with an assembly designed for another Ford model vehicle.

• Like 1

Good luck Escapism. Please keep the rest of us posted. I am not an EE but electrical circuits are designed to operate within specific tolerances. An LED substitution for incandescent should be possible but it may not be just a simple replacement with an assembly designed for another Ford model vehicle.

Agreed what I need s the Kuga's wiring schematic. I have the service DVD for my Escape.

Some times the circuits need to see resistance and or amparage from the inconecent lamp. I've tried replacing a inconecent bulb with an LED in a older Trafic light.

It did not work properly, the system used resistance to determine if a lamp was out in order to switch the Trafic signal to flash.

I hope it works for you.

Some times the circuits need to see resistance and or amparage from the inconecent lamp. I've tried replacing a inconecent bulb with an LED in a older Trafic light.

It did not work properly, the system used resistance to determine if a lamp was out in order to switch the Trafic signal to flash.

I hope it works for you.

Well, maybe some good news. The Kuga X uses LED's for the parking lights and brake lights, but bulbs for turn and reverse lights. This might make things easier. They also have rear facing fog lamps in the rear bumper where our reflectors are. Exact same shape, but theirs use a bulb. I will have to peek behind the bumper and see what's up. This model was Fords new "world" car, sold in over 100 countries. So we will see.

Best of luck and keep me updated. I got mine fixed but still wouldn't mind switching to LED ;) as for the rear fogs I would like them if it wasn't too huge of a hassle. On my Jetta the rear fog from the Euro LED's I ordered were the drivers side reverse light

Best of luck and keep me updated. I got mine fixed but still wouldn't mind switching to LED ;) as for the rear fogs I would like them if it wasn't too huge of a hassle. On my Jetta the rear fog from the Euro LED's I ordered were the drivers side reverse light

Well, I looked under the bumper and I think the rear fogs would easily fit, as there is nothing there to get in the way. But what to hook them up to? If they came on when you were in reverse that would be bad ash! Especially for folks with the rear camera. More light when in reverse!! Sweet. But would it be street legal here?

Anyway, here is a very comprehensive video of a Kuga. I mean its got it all!! INCLUDING GREAT 4WD VIDEO!!! And some interesting accessories that we don't have!!

So the LED's are the parking lamps. Very nice!

Edited by Escapism

When I was in Germany, rear fog lights meant High-intensity RED lights tied to the FOG Lamp switch. Illegal here (and there unless there was fog), had to remove them from my import. (That was in '74, things may have changed)

No, I think you are spot on. But maybe hook them up for something else? I know! TAILGATING AT GAMES!! Or better yet, for tailgaters!! Ha-ha.

When I was in Germany, rear fog lights meant High-intensity RED lights tied to the FOG Lamp switch. Illegal here (and there unless there was fog), had to remove them from my import. (That was in '74, things may have changed)

US bound Mercedes and Audi's have rear fogs installed. They are DOT certified and legal in all 50 states when done properly and with DOT approved lenses

• 2 weeks later...

Just got them in !! For Gosh sake whatever you do, please do NOT tell my wife!! HA, anyway, it all looks good so far. I'm not going to have any time until the weekend to fart around. But the molex connector is the same, and they included the bulbs where applicable(reverse and turn). The brake light and running lights are LED. The lights that go on the hatch I may just use the license plate circuit. More to follow.

post-48549-0-82423600-1376946608_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-72333600-1376946838_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-62326700-1376946841_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-06735200-1376946844_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just got them in !! For Gosh sake whatever you do, please do NOT tell my wife!! HA, anyway, it all looks good so far. I'm not going to have any time until the weekend to fart around. But the molex connector is the same, and they included the bulbs where applicable(reverse and turn). The brake light and running lights are LED. The lights that go on the hatch I may just use the license plate circuit. More to follow.

Use the license plate circuit? Can you explain further on that? I'm guessing they aren't plug and play then and you need to tap into power for the inner (hatch) lights?

Use the license plate circuit? Can you explain further on that? I'm guessing they aren't plug and play then and you need to tap into power for the inner (hatch) lights?

Correct. There is no hot for the LED's on the hatch. Pretty simple. I am waiting for the female molex pin to finish the hatch LED's. It was plug and play for both the outer and inner, other than needing a hot for the inner LED's. Brakes, turn, hazard, running lights and reverse all work normal. All the molex connectors are exactly the same for US and Europe models(thank goodness). Also, one of my pics shows a close up of the license plate wires(yellow wire).

post-48549-0-78092000-1377044413_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-08667200-1377044432_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-70167000-1377044454_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-64704100-1377044480_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-32431800-1377044484_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-07226800-1377044505_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-50980600-1377044965_thumb.jpg

Edited by Escapism
  • Like 2

Have a part number for that molex connector...I hope you can throw together a DIY for this because it looks awesome. Just don't have the $$$ right now but it's on my list with an exhaust ;)

And one more quick question... If I didn't do the tap into the rear license plate wire what would I be losing? The reverse lights and brake lights?

Edited by Elf911

Have a part number for that molex connector...I hope you can throw together a DIY for this because it looks awesome. Just don't have the $$$ right now but it's on my list with an exhaust ;)

And one more quick question... If I didn't do the tap into the rear license plate wire what would I be losing? The reverse lights and brake lights?

I can supply any part numbers you need no problem. But remember, you do not need to order any connectors. You just need to add a wire with a 1.5mm terminal into the connector.

No, you would still have your reverse and brake lights. The new assembly just plugs right into your existing harness, which has reverse lights already in the liftgate section. What the "Euro" has is an extra connection for the LED's. So if you don't hook that up the LED "tubes" that you see in my picture on the body side will not extend into the hatch quadrant. Make sense?

Your brake lights are on the same harness as your turn, and 1/2 of your running lights. This is on the body side(outside the liftgate). This is just plug and play. Watch the video again above (post #13) and you will see the LED tubes extend into where the reverse light is. Hope this helps.

Pic of molex female 2x2 and female terminal This is a 4 wire connector. Only 2 of the slots are being used in the US version(hot and ground) for reverse lights. In the Euro version an extra hot is added for the LED's. The reverse lights share the ground with the LED's, hence only 3 wires, not 4.

post-48549-0-50560500-1377117289_thumb.jpg

post-48549-0-37177000-1377117672_thumb.jpg

Edited by Escapism
  • Like 1

Oh ok makes sense. Did something similar in my VW to get the amber turn signals to function properly. So basically it's a pin swap but instead of moving the wires around I'm just adding 1 wire into that particular connector. And you are using a splice from the license plate bulb or just adding this wire in and it's good? Sorry for all the questions but I'm practically drooling over those lights ;) they look great

Oh ok makes sense. Did something similar in my VW to get the amber turn signals to function properly. So basically it's a pin swap but instead of moving the wires around I'm just adding 1 wire into that particular connector. And you are using a splice from the license plate bulb or just adding this wire in and it's good? Sorry for all the questions but I'm practically drooling over those lights ;) they look great

Yep, it's just adding two molex female pins, one for each connector(left and right). I wii run both of those back to the hot of the license plate, expose a section, twist it up properly and solder. Then wrap it up really good. I am doing all this on the module side of the connection, not the lense side. That way I can unplug and remove the lights at any time. I will post pics, my molex stuff is due to arrive tomorrow so guess what I'm doing Saturday.

Edited by Escapism
  • Like 1

And I'm assuming no bulb out indication?

Nope, been running around for 2 days and its fine. All functions are fine. Even locking and unlocking with remote and all that stuff. There is a bonus! I noticed before the mod when you open your hatch the running lights stay on which of course are originally on the body side top quadrant. When opening your hatch I also noticed my license plate lamps illuminate during the opening and closing operation. So when I'm finished the running lights on my hatch side will also illuminate during this cycle, which iwill be a cool and unique look

Edited by Escapism