Adhesive Failure - Badge

BadRock

De-badge?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. So you have lost a letter or two, what do you do?

• De-badge.
    • Contact Ford.
    • Fix it yourself.
    • Other - Explain in below.

So we had the "I" fall off on the passenger side. So I took it to the dealer. Oh well he said it happens after you've had the car a while and washed it. I told the jerk I bought the car yesterday. We had this problem with the Escapes back in 2001 with the door lettering. Found that they need to use a machine on the line to apply the correct pressure. I wondered if they aren't able to because of the energi badge below. Either way after 2 weeks my "I" will be put on tomorrow.

I had the "E" from the SE on the back on my car fall off when washing it. I decided to remove the "S" as well. Now on the back it says Fusion on the left and Hybrid on the right. The only problem now is that Fusion and Hybrid are now aligned. I think I might take Fusion off in the future and leave Hybrid.

I responded to the poll as "debadge" but now I'm starting to think that maybe I'll go to the store and grab some of that 3M doublestick tape that came with my shark fin antenna. If it holds the badging as well as it holds the shark fin, that should be a permanent fix. I've got a couple of "i"s that aren't long for this world.

That seems a bit extreme. Did the glue damage the finish? I'm not terribly adept at fine work like that and I've never had much luck super-gluing anything. I would prefer to wimp out on this one. I emailed Visual Garage and they advised me to use the 3M automotive double stick tape. Those guys at Visual Garage are great. Very friendly and responsive.

Edited by http

That seems a bit extreme. Did the glue damage the finish? I'm not terribly adept at fine work like that and I've never had much luck super-gluing anything. I would prefer to wimp out on this one. I emailed Visual Garage and they advised me to use the 3M automotive double stick tape. Those guys at Visual Garage are great. Very friendly and responsive.

You are on the correct path. Avoid using anything "super glue". Just get a nice new sharp x-acto knife and small straight edge. Take your fallen solder letter and trace it on a piece of paper. Then you can cut out the paper or transfer the letter to the 3M backing. I back off the edges about 1mm all the way around.

When you apply, just like shark fin, prep the area. Also as a guide use a piece of painters tape across the bottom of the letters and top if you desire to give yourself a visual guideline. Peel a corner of the 3M to the side so you can grasp with tweezers or fingers and gently line it up and when its good, yank the rest of the backing off (while still on paint surface) and it should seat nicely.

Edited by Bearcats98
  • Like 1